Emergency Help Asap!!

smith5perry

Reaction score
Hi everyone! So I own two male french bulldogs, Benji and Blu, that absolutelyyyyyy love life lol. They do the normalaties of cuddling, loving outdoors and playing and farting/snoring on the regular lol. Benji is Merle and Lilac mix and Blu is Tri. The brothers are 1 year old with different health concerns as to which brings me to searching for help.

Benji, my Lilac/Merle Frenchie, strains and struggles to use the bathroom. He dribbles constantly, all day long unless he's asleep or just resting his body. He struggles to poop as though he's just air squatting in the position to. Here and there, he has a few lines of runny poop but nothing solid. As to when he does vomit here and there, it's always super watery but yellowish... (I hope it's not backup or buildup from his urine/bowel movement) He's been to the vet as they have prescribed him only gabapentin for the pain/discomfort, however they did state he has a very large bladder, no visual signs in his ultrasound of an infection or stones present. It just seems so indirect as to why he has not urinated or pooped consistently or correctly since I purchased him about 8 days or so ago. We've brought him to the vet twice in 8 days and these bills are stacking up, just for them to continue to tell us this isn't an overnight fixture, and he'll have to come in each time for blood and colon tests/work, x-rays and possibly a catheter to empty his stomach out. Can someone please give me some insights on this issue or if this has ever occurred to another fairly new Frenchie owner

Okay, so you've had him 8 or 9 days? How old is he? Many puppies come with giardia, which is an intestinal tract parasite. Did the vet test him for that? If not, I would just make sure that he doesn't have that or worms. Also, has the vet prescribed an antibiotic or other drug to calm his g.i. tract? I'd ask about that. What food did he come to you eating from the breeder or whoever had him before you? If he isn't already, I'd transition him to a high quality food. We feed a premium kibble along mixed with some high quality canned food and a little high quality frozen (Raised Right). We have a frenchie (Jelly) and a chi. They both are on the same diet and their food is expensive, however, we have only been to the vet for well visits since getting Jelly 2.5 years ago. His bowel movements have been routinely good and he really doesn't have gas at all except when he has to poop and needs to go out. Some people on here feed raw, some purchased that way or others home make their own raw. I am satisfied with what we are feeding. We don't feed any chicken protein because it can exacerbate allergies. Jelly will sometimes lick his paws, but I would say he is pretty allergy free. Our former frenchie suffered terribly from allergies, took Apoquel off and on, saw the vet regularly, and nothing worked. We were feeding her what I thought was a quality diet, however, we (and the vet) was never able to help her. She was a mess.

My take is your pup is still transitioning to maybe a new diet and a new home/routine, which is stressful. If he isn't already, transition him to the best food you can. If he has received recent vaccinations, he may be flaring because of those. I wouldn't over-frequent the vet, but ask for maybe an antibiotic or something to calm his g.i. tract in the meantime. Then, maybe feed him three smaller meals a day instead of two, and give it time. Hopefully you will see some improvement in a several days or so. Please keep us posted. :confused:

Mavis gave fantastic insight…. I’d also be looking for another vet for second opinion

Back