Feeling dumb

hjjohnson0

Reaction score
So Henry is our first french bulldog and I read alot where people said they use witch hazel to wipe the wrinkles and ears with and it also has a drying agent in it. So I used this on our puppy. Yesterday I took him to the vet for our 12 week visit and I proudly mentioned to him that I had used witch hazel for his wrinkles and he looked at me as if I had 3 heads and said "Witch hazel?! Well certainly we can find you something better than witch hazel to use" Am I missing something???????????? :(

lkclark

Reaction score
Hi. Essential oils must be diluted with another agent before topical use. They are incredibly potent and are generally not fit for use on skin straight out of the dropper.

hjjohnson0

Reaction score
I'm not using an essential oil I fully understand they have to have carriers added into them and can be very harmful at full potency. I'm using diluted over-the-counter witch hazel which is used directly on human skin all the time. I read in this blog where others are using it to clean the wrinkles on their frenchies faces.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
I've used witch hazel before for Jax's tear stains and I rubbed it on his belly when he was really itchy.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Yea, you can't buy witch hazel from him. It is inexpensive and effective.... you are not missing anything, I've been using it for years on my Bulldogs and Cheli without issue and they are fine.

My vet even told me, 'good move for everyday use, it is cheaper and works'

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
You can use it, but I wouldn't use it everyday. We use unscented baby wipes most of the time and witch hazel every once in awhile. It also works good on a cotton swab, wrung out so it's not runny, for cleaning ears too.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Does it take away the tear stains?

Jax's tear stains weren't too bad. I don't think it takes them away completely. I haven't used it in awhile because I started giving him distilled water and I think that has really helped.

jessicae091

Reaction score
hmm okay ill have to try that.. i use baby wipes too. but chewy's eyes get so runny all the time, i feel bad wiping it with moisture [MENTION=4]davidh[/MENTION]

- - - Updated - - -

Jax's tear stains weren't too bad. I don't think it takes them away completely. I haven't used it in awhile because I started giving him distilled water and I think that has really helped.

dumb question, whats the difference between distilled and regular water?

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
@jessicae091, OK never a dumb question, only sometimes dumb answers. LOL Anyway, Regular water is tap water. Distilled water has been boiled to steam and the cooled back to water. This takes out all impurities and minerals and is just left with pure (dead) water. I say dead because it has no nutritional value to it what so ever if drank. Some people like to use it for cleaning because of the fact it has no minerals or chemicals in it. Here are a few facts why it is not good to drink distilled water. It increases acidity in the body. It can leach minerals out of the body, and it does not hydrate the body as well as mineral water.

Last edited:

jessicae091

Reaction score
lol thank you..:) I was always told distilled water shouldn't be drank, but no one ever had a straight answer.. BUT if there's no nutritional value then I dont see the problem. I am going to try this & see if chewy's eyes clear up a little. thanks [MENTION=4]davidh[/MENTION]

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
I would give him filtered water and not distilled water, for the reasons I posted above.

jessicae091

Reaction score
Ok now I feel dumb lol totally misread it the first time :) thanks David!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jessicae091

Reaction score
It only showed up until no nutritional value, I didn't see the rest

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

winginit66

Reaction score
Yea, you can't buy witch hazel from him. It is inexpensive and effective.... you are not missing anything, I've been using it for years on my Bulldogs and Cheli without issue and they are fine.

My vet even told me, 'good move for everyday use, it is cheaper and works'

I am with you! Better = more expensive!