Frenchie 11yrs old hiatal hernia surgery complications

Rjaworski0097

Reaction score
My frenchie June is 11yrs old. Always been in good health. She started vomiting and we took her to vet and xray show some small clouding in a lung so they gave her antibiotics and said sue probably ate somethin and vomited and some went into her lung. 3 days later sues still having issues so we took her to local animal hospital. They did xray and said both lungs looked clear but esophagus was inflammed. They did a barium treatment and xrays and waited a few days while hospitalized with iv fluids and antibiotics. There was not change so they said we need to do a fluoroscopy w imaging to see if its a hiatal hernia. In meanwhile June got a feeding tube thru nose to ensure nutrients because of the vomiting. They did fluoroscopy and said she had partial hiatal hernia and we scheduled the surgery. From time we took her the animal hospital til fluoroscopy was 5 days then another 3days until surgery. During surgery they placed a feeding tube in stomach into lower area to bypass esophagus so ot had time to heal after surgery. The surgery went well according to Dr and 2 days following she was fed thru tube upright with no instances of vomit or foam bile. 3rd day she had some regurgitation but was having bowel movements(diarrhea) and feeding 4 times a day with minimal regurgitation. Now it's been 5 days after the surgery and she has regurgitated 10 times today all small amounts like she's gagging. They are doin a test to see if contrast dye is goin in right direction. She has jeen heavily medicated and been in the hospital for 15 days now. I just wanna know if anyone could elaborate on xrays post op and if they use barium or a contrast to make sure everything is working and surgery was successful a few days after or in which way they monitor the work that's been done and things are working right. This has been such a long hard road for my wife and I thus far and wondering if anyone else has had similar issues or experiences that could help. They havent tried to reintroduce water or food orally post op because they've continued to day the esophagus is inflammed. Any info 🙏

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
Welcome!

Sorry to hear June is going thru this!

I don’t have experience with hernias for any of my dogs.

However, one thing that may help her is Adored Beast Gut Soothe probiotic, it’s got gut soothing anti inflammatory foods in it and it can soothe from the mouth down to the stomach.

When Rusty had the soft palate surgery, he was choking/ gagging and vomiting LOTS before the surgery and cause it was also inflamed I gave him the Gut Soothe and it seemed to help with the inflammation, and also after surgery.

The foods that soothe the gut that are in this probiotic are very good at soothing irritation in esophagus as well.

I always keep a jar of the Adored Beast Gut Soothe in the fridge at all times incase one of my dogs vomits or has any digestion issue, it works amazing for vomiting and diarrhea.

The other thing that could help her is Soft food, especially when there is lots of inflammation in the body and the dog doesn’t get much fluids, low carb high moisture(Raw diet or gently cooked low carb dog food-Raised Right lightly cooked dog food) OR if those aren’t options, Natures Logic brand has canned food, that’s the only canned food that’s low in carbs.

If the dog has lots of inflammation, low carbs and high moisture is best as carbs = inflammation. And the moisture keeps her hydrated and easy to digest. And that may be easier to feed her right now is wet food(the 3 suggestions I mentioned above), and I still would try the Adored Beast Gut soothe to help with the inflamed system to help her feel better.

Please keep us updated, I hope she has a fast recovery!

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
My frenchie June is 11yrs old. Always been in good health. She started vomiting and we took her to vet and xray show some small clouding in a lung so they gave her antibiotics and said sue probably ate somethin and vomited and some went into her lung. 3 days later sues still having issues so we took her to local animal hospital. They did xray and said both lungs looked clear but esophagus was inflammed. They did a barium treatment and xrays and waited a few days while hospitalized with iv fluids and antibiotics. There was not change so they said we need to do a fluoroscopy w imaging to see if its a hiatal hernia. In meanwhile June got a feeding tube thru nose to ensure nutrients because of the vomiting. They did fluoroscopy and said she had partial hiatal hernia and we scheduled the surgery. From time we took her the animal hospital til fluoroscopy was 5 days then another 3days until surgery. During surgery they placed a feeding tube in stomach into lower area to bypass esophagus so ot had time to heal after surgery. The surgery went well according to Dr and 2 days following she was fed thru tube upright with no instances of vomit or foam bile. 3rd day she had some regurgitation but was having bowel movements(diarrhea) and feeding 4 times a day with minimal regurgitation. Now it's been 5 days after the surgery and she has regurgitated 10 times today all small amounts like she's gagging. They are doin a test to see if contrast dye is goin in right direction. She has jeen heavily medicated and been in the hospital for 15 days now. I just wanna know if anyone could elaborate on xrays post op and if they use barium or a contrast to make sure everything is working and surgery was successful a few days after or in which way they monitor the work that's been done and things are working right. This has been such a long hard road for my wife and I thus far and wondering if anyone else has had similar issues or experiences that could help. They havent tried to reintroduce water or food orally post op because they've continued to day the esophagus is inflammed. Any info 🙏
I have no experience with what you and your baby are going through.... I will keep you all in my prayers and send healing prayer to June!

Bleu jackson

Reaction score
Our 4 year-old Frenchie had problems digesting food all of his life.
Six months ago we took him off dry food because he was not chewing it up and was swallowing it whole. We put him on Freshpet (slice and serve roll) tender chicken with vegetables mashed up really fine and mixed with a small amount of cooked ground meat. He is a different dog, never throws up his food and has a much better appetite. I think the dry food was clogging up his system someplace. Whatever the case , we now have a healthier, happier Frenchie and fewer vet bills too.

🆕 Latest posts