Frenchie overstimulation tipping into problem behavior

alisatee

Reaction score
Hi there!

I'm wondering if anybody has had similar experiences with their Frenchies and if they have any advice to offer:

I have a one year old French Bulldog who is kind of nutty. He is a complete sweetheart and loves every single person he comes across, but when it comes to dogs, it seems like he singles out the more submissive pups and bullies them. This has happened multiple times - he's playing with a dog, they play super well together, and all of a sudden he just turns into a crazy gremlin and starts growling loudly and pinning the other dog down. He kind of just reaches a point where he loses his mind and this happens. He also does this growling / pouncing thing when he comes across other dogs on leash, but they're always very specific dogs and he does that part rarely. He's definitely a dominant guy, but I was wondering if anyone else experienced the same thing.

Thanks!!

FroxerMom

Reaction score
HI there-
Is Butter neutered? Just the first thought that popped into my head. I have a female Frenchie who seems rather alpha and when I first got her, she went bonkers when she saw another dog. Made sounds I'd never heard before, snarled and lunged. I got her in February and I work with her constantly on this. She has gotten sooooo much better.

We have a 7 year old male Boxer. When he was 6 months old he was displaying some unusually aggressive behaviors and although I'd have preferred to wait a few more months to neuter him, the vet at the time said it was necessary and would nip the issues in the bud and it did.

Maybe also review leash walking and praise/offer coveted treats when he sits when another dog approaches. I've probably seriously gone through 8723 bags of freeze dried raw duck treats in order to get it through my girl's thick skull that she needs to chill when another dog is coming near us. My patience has paid off. She usually ignores now. In her case, she fears other dogs because she's been attacked and injured in her previous home while on a walk, so I am super proud of her progress. It's been something we've worked on daily for 7 months now. Good luck!

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
Definitely stop him when he does this and redirect his attention, even if you have to sit him down and give him a time out. He should eventually figure out this is not accepted behavior. You have to stop him immediately though. Plus if you aren't doing so, keep him on a leash when out for a walk so he can not run up to another dog on lead.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
I agree with the others, you have to prevent him from getting to this point. Since you seem to know his signs, remove him before he starts and be sure he is aware you are his 'boss/alpha'.

Are you using 'nothing in life is free'? it will help to have him listen to you and you'll be better controlling him when needed.