Limping & Peeing?

shortstuff

Reaction score
We just got back this afternoon from taking the dogs out to my family's place in the desert. The girls did great, tons of running and playing while practicing our obedience and having plenty of off-leash time! I'm not sure if this is related to the following events, but last night we noticed Bisou was limping a little bit on her back right leg, but didn't react all when we moved her leg and poked and prodded. We assume she was just sore from running and kept an eye on it today. Some limping, but she seems better.

A couple hours after getting home, Bisou had an accident right next to her bed. I was sitting at my desk nearby (in the same room, just couldn't see her) and she came over to me and cowered under my chair like she had done something wrong. When I stood up to see what she was doing, I noticed the wet carpet inches from her bed. She put herself in the corner without any scolding... I feel awful because it's my fault for not letting them out sooner. They had been sitting in the car for an hour and a half and since it was raining when we got home, they didn't potty when we got home. I honestly didn't even think about it because they were so pooped and passed out the moment we got home. :ashamed: Poor thing felt awful and I'm a guilty mama.

Shortly after, I laid down on the couch on my phone for a bit. Bisou joined me and was laying between my legs the way she always does. After about 15 minutes, she started getting fidgety and was changing positions frequently. She just couldn't get comfortable and couldn't find a way she could comfortably nap. After another 10 minutes of this, she sits up with her weight on her butt with her head hung the way she sits when she's tired. Suddenly... my lap felt warm. Bisou peed on my lap. I shouted her name in shock and pushed her off my lap (I know, bad mama :() and she didn't even react. She didn't cower, she didn't move. She sat on the floor where I pushed her off just looking at me with a blank face. I was in such shock. Joel picked her up and took her outside and the second he put her down on the patio, she peed AGAIN, a big puddle. The first thing I thought is this was a scared pee due to our shouting (again, I know, bad us!) but the fact that she had full pees on the carpet, on my lap, and on the patio within 45-60 minutes is really shocking to me considering she hasn't been drinking any more than usual today. I'm especially shocked at her peeing on my lap. She didn't even do that during the 6 hour car ride taking her home as a puppy.

She's currently sleeping in her bed, now quarantined in the kitchen. I'm really concerned, but I don't know if I'm overreacting or if she needs to see a vet. I don't know if the limping and peeing could be related, or if the peeing itself is alarming enough to take her in... Joel doesn't seem too concerned and is more irritated than anything. What would you guys do? :unsure:

eeturk

Reaction score
If it were me, I would take her to see the vet. It's more than an isolated incident (since it happened three times) and sounds like it's out of character for her. Better safe than sorry, I think. Hope she feels better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FrenchieDante

Reaction score
I would take her to the vet. I would just be worried about a nerve or spinal chord injury at this point. Limping and the loss of bowel control could absolutely be related. Frenchies are prone to these types of injuries because of their short stature. It could be something as simple as jumping off the couch. Just to be safe, take baby Bisou to the vet asap! I hope she feels better, she's so precious.

mmclean

Reaction score
Radar had accidents like that twice, once after his rabies shots and the second time he had some kind of bowel obstruction. I would take her in, just to make sure everything is okay.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
If it were me, I would take her to see the vet. It's more than an isolated incident (since it happened three times) and sounds like it's out of character for her. Better safe than sorry, I think. Hope she feels better.

agreed!!

Tgirl

Reaction score
I agree with everyone else. I would take her to see a Veterinarian.

Squishy Walnuts

Reaction score
I hope she's OK! Definitely take her as it wasn't just one incident. Please let us know the outcome.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Agree, take her to the vet. I hope she is okay...keep us updated!

Jakeyjake

Reaction score
Good luck and keep us posted! Hope it is nothing serious. Poor baby

blushy

Reaction score
Aww poor girl! I hope she's okay! Please update us!

Feel better Bisou!

blushy

Reaction score
Any update on Bisou limping/peeing?

shortstuff

Reaction score
Hi all, meant to update you last night but things got busy! All is well with Bisou. No pinched nerves or injury to her spine, just simply strain as a result of pushing herself too hard and peeing while in pain. Her first accident was simply our fault for not letting her out sooner, and her peeing on my lap was likely due to (what seems to be) knee and hip pain. She hasn't had any more accidents and she's limping much less now. If she's still limping this weekend, she may need to go back in for more tests. We're feeling much better and she got extra love as an apology from us for freaking out. :D

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
That is great news! Jax strained his leg before after playing with an older, bigger Frenchie and was limping for awhile. We just had to keep him from running around too much and after a few weeks, it was non-existent.

Julie Stevenson

Reaction score
Poor baby....My boys are not wanting to go outside due to the cold weather. I know.....what cold weather in CA? Really have no room to complain. LOL But, I too found a few wet spots in the house lately.....the most recent on my NEW Down Comforter last night which I was PISSED about....but, I will wash and then just do better at making them go outside.

blushy

Reaction score
Glad to hear! She was clearly apologetic for her accidents!

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
Glad she is doing better now, and nothing serious.

shortstuff

Reaction score
Poor baby....My boys are not wanting to go outside due to the cold weather. I know.....what cold weather in CA? Really have no room to complain. LOL But, I too found a few wet spots in the house lately.....the most recent on my NEW Down Comforter last night which I was PISSED about....but, I will wash and then just do better at making them go outside.

Same here! I've found it's really hit or miss with the cold weather... either they bolt outside and do their business faster than ever, or they refuse to walk out the door. Especially with all the rain on Sunday, she chose naps instead - I don't blame her!

Thanks for all the support, everyone! I'm always telling Joel how much I love the support system here and how I always think of you guys first when it comes to anything Bisou-related. :up: