Maple screamed last night...

MaplesMommy

Reaction score
Ok so the weirdest thing happened last night.
Maple sleeps in the living room either on the couch or her doggy bed. Shes been doing it for at least over a month now and seems very comfortable in doing so. Anyways. I have a strong mother inctinct(and Im not even a human mother yet :D) so I wake up in the middle of the night when Maple starts gagging or even when she jumps of the couch and walks around. My boyfriend never hears any of this and is always confused when I jump out of bed and turn on the light to go check on her :p Back to topic : Last night at about 4:30 I woke because I heard a scream from the living room. It wasnt a whine or a doggy outchy scream, no it sounded like a wild monkey to me! I ran into the living room and there was Maple sitting on the couch,ears back ,eyes big. The moment she saw me she was soo happy and she acted like she hadnt seen me in weeks. She was all over me ,giving me kisses and hugging me. I wanted to make sure she wasnt in pain and felt her entire body but she was fine. I cuddled with her for about 15 mins and let her out to go potty. Then I placed the cat (who sleeps in the washroom in her cat bed) on the couch so Maple had some company.
I am thinking she had a really bad dream...
I searched the internet and youtube and found this video. This is EXACTLY what it sounded like only that Maple only screamed twice.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4CVorGgIu4w

It was soo weird because I have never ever heard a dog make a sound like that.

lkclark

Reaction score
Mommy to the rescue!! Glad it was just a dream.

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
They do have bad dreams sometimes, so glad that's all it was.

MaplesMommy

Reaction score
I found a few similar posts on the internet and they all said if a dog screams like that its either due to extreme pain or extreme fear. Since she was fine when I felt her body and she has been totally normal today I think something really scared her :( And there is nothing that could scare her at 4:30 in the morning other than a bad dream :(
She sometimes 'barks'and runs while sleeping but this dream must have been terrifying. Poor girl.

But isnt it cute how they are like little kids and sooo happy when mommy/daddy comes to comfort them? :)

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
:whew: so glad it was just a dream.... glad she is not hurt