Need help/advice for my 1 year old frenchie

GrizleynGigibear

Reaction score
Hi all,
I have recently had a awful experience with my frenchie as ive gone out to the back garden she has been having a seizure, she has never done this before and we are unsure how or why its happened. She had like 3 in the space of 5 minutes including one onto way the vets but when we got there she was fine. When we got seen by the vets they gave her a dizepam. Soon as we got home she ate all her dinner and was just tired from her tablets. Its been roughly 1 day and a half since she had it and shestotally normal again, we are booked in to get her bloods done tomorrow morning but i was just seeing if anyone else has ever had anything like this? I really appreciate the help and advice
Many thanks

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
Hi all,
I have recently had a awful experience with my frenchie as ive gone out to the back garden she has been having a seizure, she has never done this before and we are unsure how or why its happened. She had like 3 in the space of 5 minutes including one onto way the vets but when we got there she was fine. When we got seen by the vets they gave her a dizepam. Soon as we got home she ate all her dinner and was just tired from her tablets. Its been roughly 1 day and a half since she had it and shestotally normal again, we are booked in to get her bloods done tomorrow morning but i was just seeing if anyone else has ever had anything like this? I really appreciate the help and advice
Many thanks

Sorry to hear she is going thru this.
Definitely get her bloodwork done to rule out liver issues as that can cause seizures sometimes.

How old is she?

It’s a terrible thing to see them have a seizure, my Frenchie Rusty he has idiopathic epilepsy and IVDD which was diagnosed thru MRI at a neurologist.
He started seizure episodes a year ago and we were told we can put him on anti seizure meds BUT it destroys their liver and kidneys within 3 months of using it and the neurologist also told us there is no guarantee it would put a stop to seizures, and those meds are only 50% accurate at the most and dogs usually start to ‘rely’ on those harmful meds.

What I did for Rusty, I said NO to those medications(especially cause those side effects and liver and kidney damage with very minimal differences the neurologist told us), I put Rusty on CBD oil and he hasn’t had a seizure in 1 full year and it helps IVDD and pain and inflammation. If your in Canada- I use PawTanicals brand CBD oil for Rusty.
If your in USA a really good brand is Four Leaf Rover - they have a good CBD oil I trust their high quality standards But it’s only available in US not in Canada so that’s why I give the Pawtanicals brand. If you can get Four Leaf Rover brand CBD oil, that is what I recommend.

And the other thing is CBD oil is actually no side effects and research and studies show it’s even more effect for seizures than the actual seizure medication that harms them and the organs.
I have seen a huge difference with using the CBD for Rusty. And even his neurologist said to avoid seizure meds cause of it causing liver and kidney issues for only up to 50% effective.

I recommend you try her on the CBD oil as that’s kept seizures away for Rusty.

What do you feed her??

I ask because I know some dog foods contain chemicals and some ingredients can actually cause the seizures so sometimes a food switch can make a big difference.
The neurologist told us to try Rusty on Purina neurological care and it’s FULL of garbage and fillers which can actually cause these health issues like the following brands I list below.
Definitely avoid those vet foods as they cause many health issues and one is seizures it can cause too. So I told the neurologist I am NOT putting him on those vet foods!

Definitely AVOID these brands as they are all garbage/fillers:
-Purina
—Royal Canin
-Hills
-Eukanuba
-Blue buffalo
-ANYTHING from Vet or grocery store.

I also switched Rusty to raw diet which has been great improvement for his health issues!

Raw diet is best if you can, less inflammation(which inflammation can cause seizures too), and I rotate proteins to prevent food allergies and picky eater. Better for the immune system too.

If a liver issue is causing the seizures for example(the vet has to do the bloodwork to make sure there is no liver issues that’s causing the seizures), and we had to do those test too for Rusty. But if there was a liver issue- you can usually fix it and manage it thru raw diet and supplements.

Flea tick and other preventative can definitely cause the seizures too- definitely avoid!
Omega 3 are also good for inflammation too.
I give Four Leaf Rover Safe Sea omega oil.

My biggest advice to you based on my experience:

-Avoid anti seizure medications unless is ABSOLUTELY needed as a last resort.
-AVOID flea tick and heartworm meds preventatives as they can cause the seizures!
-Try the Four Leaf Rover brand CBD oil OR Pawtanicals CBD oil as those are premium brands and definitely effective for keeping seizures manageable. I have tried other CBD oils for him and definitely not effect like the 2 brands I highly recommend.
-feed as high quality food as you can- raw diet is best. This is what would keep her healthy and not cause other health issues.

Keep us updated
Here is some very helpful articles too for seizures:

bladesman83

Reaction score
Hi there.
I can appreciate how frightening it is to see your Dog have a seizure. Prior to owning French Bulldogs, I had Boxers for 12 years. My eldest Spartan, had a seizure at 3 years old which was awful to witness. He threw himself backwards smashing his head on the wall! When he came around, I noticed his head was bobbing for a minute or 2.
The vet couldn't find anything wrong with him, and explained that epilepsy with no known cause is fairly common in Dogs, and so long as he doesn't have them too often, there is not much to be done. At this point I started doing my own research... (3 in a short space of time would have been a concern though.)
He had a second seizure a number of weeks later, and this time I notice his head bobbing just before it happened. This head bobbing is known as an Idiopathic head tremor. Idiopathic simply means there is no known cause. My Dog now has idiopathic head tremors and idiopathic epilepsy. There must be a connection right?
Over the following months I would notice his head bobbing so I'd interact with him, take him outside, stimulate him and we would avoid a seizure. This could be coincidental but as I say, I had already connected the 2 things in my head anyway.
I did witness a third seizure, probably around 6-8 months after the first (4 years old) and that was it. He lived until 11 years old with no more seizures.
While my post doesn't offer much in the way of advice, I wanted to stress that seizures are not rare with no underlying cause. They impact younger Dogs who appear to grow out of them as they age.
The vet may find a root cause in which case, you can disregard my post. I though it may help to share my first hand experience.
I wish you and your Frenchy the best of luck.

GrizleynGigibear

Reaction score
Sorry to hear she is going thru this.
Definitely get her bloodwork done to rule out liver issues as that can cause seizures sometimes.

How old is she?

It’s a terrible thing to see them have a seizure, my Frenchie Rusty he has idiopathic epilepsy and IVDD which was diagnosed thru MRI at a neurologist.
He started seizure episodes a year ago and we were told we can put him on anti seizure meds BUT it destroys their liver and kidneys within 3 months of using it and the neurologist also told us there is no guarantee it would put a stop to seizures, and those meds are only 50% accurate at the most and dogs usually start to ‘rely’ on those harmful meds.

What I did for Rusty, I said NO to those medications(especially cause those side effects and liver and kidney damage with very minimal differences the neurologist told us), I put Rusty on CBD oil and he hasn’t had a seizure in 1 full year and it helps IVDD and pain and inflammation. If your in Canada- I use PawTanicals brand CBD oil for Rusty.
If your in USA a really good brand is Four Leaf Rover - they have a good CBD oil I trust their high quality standards But it’s only available in US not in Canada so that’s why I give the Pawtanicals brand. If you can get Four Leaf Rover brand CBD oil, that is what I recommend.

And the other thing is CBD oil is actually no side effects and research and studies show it’s even more effect for seizures than the actual seizure medication that harms them and the organs.
I have seen a huge difference with using the CBD for Rusty. And even his neurologist said to avoid seizure meds cause of it causing liver and kidney issues for only up to 50% effective.

I recommend you try her on the CBD oil as that’s kept seizures away for Rusty.

What do you feed her??

I ask because I know some dog foods contain chemicals and some ingredients can actually cause the seizures so sometimes a food switch can make a big difference.
The neurologist told us to try Rusty on Purina neurological care and it’s FULL of garbage and fillers which can actually cause these health issues like the following brands I list below.
Definitely avoid those vet foods as they cause many health issues and one is seizures it can cause too. So I told the neurologist I am NOT putting him on those vet foods!

Definitely AVOID these brands as they are all garbage/fillers:
-Purina
—Royal Canin
-Hills
-Eukanuba
-Blue buffalo
-ANYTHING from Vet or grocery store.

I also switched Rusty to raw diet which has been great improvement for his health issues!

Raw diet is best if you can, less inflammation(which inflammation can cause seizures too), and I rotate proteins to prevent food allergies and picky eater. Better for the immune system too.

If a liver issue is causing the seizures for example(the vet has to do the bloodwork to make sure there is no liver issues that’s causing the seizures), and we had to do those test too for Rusty. But if there was a liver issue- you can usually fix it and manage it thru raw diet and supplements.

Flea tick and other preventative can definitely cause the seizures too- definitely avoid!
Omega 3 are also good for inflammation too.
I give Four Leaf Rover Safe Sea omega oil.

My biggest advice to you based on my experience:

-Avoid anti seizure medications unless is ABSOLUTELY needed as a last resort.
-AVOID flea tick and heartworm meds preventatives as they can cause the seizures!
-Try the Four Leaf Rover brand CBD oil OR Pawtanicals CBD oil as those are premium brands and definitely effective for keeping seizures manageable. I have tried other CBD oils for him and definitely not effect like the 2 brands I highly recommend.
-feed as high quality food as you can- raw diet is best. This is what would keep her healthy and not cause other health issues.

Keep us updated
Here is some very helpful articles too for seizures:

Thanks so much i really appreciate the help/advice. She has had her bloods and they came back to be fine, just her blood is abit concentrated/thick. Tbh i dont really understand the concentrated blood, she eats AVA with wet and salmon oil. She has been fine for about 2.5 weeks and today she had another episode 😓 not sure what to do at the minute, we have had no papers from the owner we are still awaiting them to see if it’s genetic? Shes currently had a dizepam to control the seizures and is booked in with the vet on Tuesday

GrizleynGigibear

Reaction score
Hi there.
I can appreciate how frightening it is to see your Dog have a seizure. Prior to owning French Bulldogs, I had Boxers for 12 years. My eldest Spartan, had a seizure at 3 years old which was awful to witness. He threw himself backwards smashing his head on the wall! When he came around, I noticed his head was bobbing for a minute or 2.
The vet couldn't find anything wrong with him, and explained that epilepsy with no known cause is fairly common in Dogs, and so long as he doesn't have them too often, there is not much to be done. At this point I started doing my own research... (3 in a short space of time would have been a concern though.)
He had a second seizure a number of weeks later, and this time I notice his head bobbing just before it happened. This head bobbing is known as an Idiopathic head tremor. Idiopathic simply means there is no known cause. My Dog now has idiopathic head tremors and idiopathic epilepsy. There must be a connection right?
Over the following months I would notice his head bobbing so I'd interact with him, take him outside, stimulate him and we would avoid a seizure. This could be coincidental but as I say, I had already connected the 2 things in my head anyway.
I did witness a third seizure, probably around 6-8 months after the first (4 years old) and that was it. He lived until 11 years old with no more seizures.
While my post doesn't offer much in the way of advice, I wanted to stress that seizures are not rare with no underlying cause. They impact younger Dogs who appear to grow out of them as they age.
The vet may find a root cause in which case, you can disregard my post. I though it may help to share my first hand experience.
I wish you and your Frenchy the best of luck.
Thanks for this. Fingers crossed as she gets older she grows outta em. Its just a massive wake up call when they do happen but hearing your story has helped thanks alot

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
Thanks so much i really appreciate the help/advice. She has had her bloods and they came back to be fine, just her blood is abit concentrated/thick. Tbh i dont really understand the concentrated blood, she eats AVA with wet and salmon oil. She has been fine for about 2.5 weeks and today she had another episode 😓 not sure what to do at the minute, we have had no papers from the owner we are still awaiting them to see if it’s genetic? Shes currently had a dizepam to control the seizures and is booked in with the vet on Tuesday

Poor pup!

Can you buy Four Leaf Rover CBD oil for her??? That’s great for seizures to keep them away. Then you could take her off the seizure meds that could be harmful to her organs.

Are you open to switching her to raw diet?? That’s best for seizures and overall health if you can.

If you can’t feed raw diet, I recommend you switch her to one of these brands fo kibble:
-Natures Logic
-Carna 4

Natures logic is easier to find than Carna 4 but both are the most premium kibble there is.

I would recommend switching her from Ava food to one of the above kibbles if you can’t switch her to raw diet.
That would be very beneficial to her health.

And getting her on the Four leaf Rover CBD oil is gonna be helpful for her too. It’s kept Rusty seizures away for 1 year since he has been on the CBD oil for 1 year.

Hope the vet appointment goes well. Keep me updated

GrizleynGigibear

Reaction score
Hi again thanks for the reply, shes currently not on any meds apart from a dizapam solution shot when she does fit, i totally agree on the CBD oil suggestion i will be ordering it definitely thank you, i will also try her on the suggested dry foods. As for raw i would try it but abit worried about the sudden change in there diet. We are now thinking she may need a MRI on the brain as she has had her bloods done which leaves no other option(I dont think), shes only 1 and a half so its hard to believe she can have anything going on, we have also made contact with her breeder and she has reassured us that her mum and dad are both fine and others in the litter didnt have any issues. If you can think of anything else it may be i would appreciate a few suggestions or potential causes. Todays episode started as she was asleep she had 3 in total but had a few minutes were she was fine in the middle of them, shes okay in herself now but worried for the future. Thanks again for all the time and advice🙏🏻

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
Hi again thanks for the reply, shes currently not on any meds apart from a dizapam solution shot when she does fit, i totally agree on the CBD oil suggestion i will be ordering it definitely thank you, i will also try her on the suggested dry foods. As for raw i would try it but abit worried about the sudden change in there diet. We are now thinking she may need a MRI on the brain as she has had her bloods done which leaves no other option(I dont think), shes only 1 and a half so its hard to believe she can have anything going on, we have also made contact with her breeder and she has reassured us that her mum and dad are both fine and others in the litter didnt have any issues. If you can think of anything else it may be i would appreciate a few suggestions or potential causes. Todays episode started as she was asleep she had 3 in total but had a few minutes were she was fine in the middle of them, shes okay in herself now but worried for the future. Thanks again for all the time and advice🙏🏻

What is the medication injection for? Seizures?? I haven’t heard of that one before. Maybe that medication has something to do with it?

Raw diet is best but if your nervous about switching her now, you should definitely try Natures Logic or Carna 4 for kibble.
Most dogs tolerate raw diet, but the more you improve her food the better her health.

I think I mentioned to you this before, but if not here are some things that can definitely cause unexplained seizures in dogs:
-some dog food ingredients can cause seizures in dogs, and too many inflammatory ingredients cause inflammation which can = seizures cause if inflammation of the brain(even our vet neurologist told us this).

- do you currently have her on any Flea/Tick/heartworm preventative meds/topicals or have had it recently??? Those can definitely cause seizures too, they caused head tremors in Rusty immediately and also when they advertise the flea and tick meds on tv they state ‘can cause seizures and other neurological issues so don’t use in dogs with these neurological issues’. So I recommend stay away from those preventatives.

-has she had any vaccines recently?? Once they have had the puppy shots, anything extra is totally unnecessary and can cause seizures as one of the side effects. Rusty also had a severe reaction to the puppy vaccines and ended up at vet for 2 weeks straight daily and ended up at dermatologist for allergies then and also required skin biopsy to rule out anything serious cause a huge lump at injection site immediately from the vaccine.

-has she got into anything toxic(plants or food) before the first episode?

They usually do the MRI to check the spine for any issues and to rule out brain tumour(which would be very unlikely in young dog the vet neurologist told us). We did the MRI to rule it out and because his spine was a concern and that’s when he was diagnosed with IVDD and idiopathic epilepsy 1 year ago.

I also asked the breeder and same thing, she said none of her dogs had that issue. But I think these breeders need to be aware of these issues their pups are having in my opinion.

But the list above is the potential things that can cause unexplained seizures in dogs. But the better her health is the better for now and long term.

Good luck, keep us updated

🆕 Latest posts