New litter, need advice

Jcori3

Reaction score
Puppies are 3 weeks old today. Been mainly on momma. Fed supplemental pet AG milk replacer plus. So the problem is they won’t poop. Even momma dog licks them and they just won’t poop. Have done the small enimas and still constipated the next time they need to poop. What can I give puppies to help with this.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Have you tried stimulating them to poop? It could be a multitude of reasons why they are not pooping. Not pooping for 48 hours is normally okay but if it’s been longer than that and If you’ve done an enema and they still aren’t pooping, I’d probably call the vet.

Jcori3

Reaction score
Yes they have been stimulated by my wife and I and by momma dog as well. Peeing is no problem but they just can’t seem to poop. The enema is the last resort. We try to keep from doing that. Just after a couple days of not pooping it starts to worry us.

Jcori3

Reaction score
Yes they have been stimulated by my wife and I and by momma dog as well. Peeing is no problem but they just can’t seem to poop. The enema is the last resort. We try to keep from doing that. Just after a couple days of not pooping it starts to worry us.
Yes they do poop after the enema so the do eventually poop but we would rather not have to
Do the enemas.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes they do poop after the enema so the do eventually poop but we would rather not have to
Do the enemas.
If they continue to get constipated, I’d probably call the vet. It could be they are not getting enough fiber.

Jcori3

Reaction score
Ok, we are switching from that previous milk substitute to goats milk. The wife has been feeding momma dog a lot of extra chicken and fruit like she always gets. The puppies seem to be just fine in all other aspects other than pooping. The wife has also been giving each pup a couple drops of keyro syrup.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok, we are switching from that previous milk substitute to goats milk. The wife has been feeding momma dog a lot of extra chicken and fruit like she always gets. The puppies seem to be just fine in all other aspects other than pooping. The wife has also been giving each pup a couple drops of keyro syrup.
My experience is with bulldogs versus French Bulldogs but I have to imagine they are similar. Are you feeding mama any extra calcium like cottage cheese or anything? Have you tried giving her pumpkin? I know you can give pysllium husk for constipation to dogs and puppies but not sure about 3 week old puppies. Also, when do you plan on weaning them off the mother? That might help as well if they start getting gruel.

Jcori3

Reaction score
I will ask the wife. I know she has used pumpkin in the past. I will see what her game plan is and holler back. They are 3 weeks and 1 day old today. I think the wife is getting everything together to start weening them.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
I will ask the wife. I know she has used pumpkin in the past. I will see what her game plan is and holler back. They are 3 weeks and 1 day old today. I think the wife is getting everything together to start weening them.
You can generally start weaning at 3-4 weeks so I might give that try and see if that helps. Keep me posted!

Jcori3

Reaction score
ok got the pumpkin and goats milk and got it all mixed up and the puppies took to it somewhat. So will start weening them. Will watch to see how the pooping goes.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
ok got the pumpkin and goats milk and got it all mixed up and the puppies took to it somewhat. So will start weening them. Will watch to see how the pooping goes.
Good luck!

Jcori3

Reaction score
Good luck!
Thanks, and thanks for the help. I’ll keep this updated maybe it will help another. I searched the forum and didn’t see much on constipation for newborn pups.

Jcori3

Reaction score
Puppies are pooping now on their own Mommas help. They are still nursing but also have taken to the mash that’s high in fiber. All fat and happy.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Puppies are pooping now on their own Mommas help. They are still nursing but also have taken to the mash that’s high in fiber. All fat and happy.
Excellent! They probably just needed that extra fiber.

🆕 Latest posts