Older frenchie doenst want anything to do with new puppy

Goodhometownboy

Reaction score
Hey all! So have a 5 year old frenchie named Gil. My wife and I just got a 8 week old lab mix puppie... and it's safe to say Gil is not happy.for the most part he doesn't care she is around. But as most puppies are she wants to play with him... Gil is not a fan... he got her recently in the nose (just a scratch) because she wanted to play and jumped on him as he was in his favorite chew toy..... he loves playing with big dogs could this be just cause she is small? He pretty much ignores her otherwise or growls when she jumps or smacks him with her paws

Attachments

• 20180702_163554.jpg
    20180702_163554.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 183

FroxerMom

Reaction score
Hey all! So have a 5 year old frenchie named Gil. My wife and I just got a 8 week old lab mix puppie... and it's safe to say Gil is not happy.for the most part he doesn't care she is around. But as most puppies are she wants to play with him... Gil is not a fan... he got her recently in the nose (just a scratch) because she wanted to play and jumped on him as he was in his favorite chew toy..... he loves playing with big dogs could this be just cause she is small? He pretty much ignores her otherwise or growls when she jumps or smacks him with her paws

Aw, congratulations on the new addition to your family! Since you just got the pup, I'd definitely give it more time for Gil to get used to his new sibling. How long has it been?

I've had dog duos who have been besties. I've had dog duos that have liked each other but didn't interact constantly and would do their own thing. And I've had dog duos (most recently) who initially fought for the first few days, then worked it out amongst themselves and are now good buds. I'm assuming Gil has been the center of your world for his five years? So, he might not be too thrilled to share the attention right now, but hopefully once he sees the pup is just playful and funloving, he will join in the fun too.

I'm a very impatient person, so it was hard for me to wait for my dogs to learn about each other and become accepting. It is certainly more fun when two dogs just hit it off right away! But, you could still have that end result. Hang in there. Maybe some people on here have some more specific advice as to play training you could do with them to encourage them to interact positively together.

Welcome and good luck!

Alice Kable

Reaction score
Usually it takes a week or so for the acceptance/bonding to begin.

Frenchie Fanatic

Reaction score

Welcome!!
Looks like you've gotten some good advice already.
Lots of awesome folks on this site.
Please share some pics of Gil!!
We love pictures!! :yes:

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
It took Jax who was 4 years old 3 weeks to even let Louie near him when he came home last May. Puppies are annoying cause all they want to do is play and they have manners. So just give it time, he’ll come around when he’s ready.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
I agree, it can take weeks for them to finally warm up to a pup, just give it time and watch them so they won't get to rough with each.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
yep.... took my guy two weeks to even stay in the same room when we got a new puppy.... give it time