Pimple-like bumps on anus? *warning-pictures included*

Katewilcox

Reaction score
I just noticed some pimple like bumps around Normans bum. They weren't there a few days ago. He's not scooting/itching or seem to be in any pain. Norm has food allergies that we still haven't been able to pinpoint and as of right now he's on a kangaroo diet from from the vet. This MAY be too much information, but sometimes norman gets pimples around his mouth, and when they pop they have a very iron-like scent. When I was cleaning his bum today and looking at the bumps, one opened and had the same smell. My question is, is this related to his food allergies or could it be anal gland issues? I don't know if I should wait a few days to see if it clears up or take him in right away. Any advice would be great:) IMG_4096.jpg *also I'm a hairstylist, so my finger nails are super colour stained and not dirty��*

[MENTION=4]davidh[/MENTION] might have some insight... i never experienced that but they do not look to be anything serious

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure the cause but you should probably wash Norman once or twice weekly with a chlorhexidine/ketoconazole shampoo like ketohex or curaseb. Is he doing better on the kangaroo formula? Zignature makes a kangaroo limited ingredient dog food you may be able to switch to to save money. KANGAROO FORMULA (DRY) | Zignature . Does he have any environmental allergies in addition to food allergies? Probably should add an antihistamine like cetirizine (Zyrtec) if he does.

Thank you! Yes I do wash him twice a week with a medicated shampoo and it helps a lot! I find as far as environmental allergies, that the shampoo helps the most! I only give him an antihistamine when he needs it, which is rarely!. We're going to take the plunge and get him allergy tested soon just so we know the best course of action to deal with everything in the future. To be honest I don't feel like the kangaroo diet from my vet is the best, it has a lot of other ingredients in it that I think still don't agree with his tummy. He's tried Fromm and was most recently on six fish orijen... im thinking it might be a good idea to start looking into feeding raw.. I've seen a lot of people on here with great success! Hopefully his little bum clears up soon.

Definitely raw is the best for dogs with allergies. You can try out some novel proteins with raw as well, like bison, rabbit, kangaroo etc. I like using dehydrated raw to avoid having lots of patties in the freezer and it's more portable. eg. Honest Kitchen, Spot Farms, Grandma Lucy's etc. The only reliable allergy testing for food allergies is elimination diet, and skin testing for environmental allergies. If you get your dogs started on Respit immunotherapy drops for environmental allergies it doesn't require allergy testing since it's a shotgun approach. But immunotherapy takes about 5-12 months to really work.

Thank you! Yes I do wash him twice a week with a medicated shampoo and it helps a lot! I find as far as environmental allergies, that the shampoo helps the most! I only give him an antihistamine when he needs it, which is rarely!. We're going to take the plunge and get him allergy tested soon just so we know the best course of action to deal with everything in the future. To be honest I don't feel like the kangaroo diet from my vet is the best, it has a lot of other ingredients in it that I think still don't agree with his tummy. He's tried Fromm and was most recently on six fish orijen... im thinking it might be a good idea to start looking into feeding raw.. I've seen a lot of people on here with great success! Hopefully his little bum clears up soon.

I would just watch them, they should go away on their own.

Back