Puppies not playing well

Sandy B

Reaction score
Herschel is my 11 month old Frenchie. He weighs 22 lbs and is all muscle. My daughter's Frenchie pup is only 5 months and weighs around 12 lbs. . When Hopper was smaller we didn't let the puppies play together much. Now that Hopper is bigger, Herschel wants to play but seems to be too aggressive. He goes after Hopper's back legs and although he does not bite hard, he has Hop's legs in his mouth. Most of the time we can't tell if they are playing or fighting.

We are not sure if it is okay to let them play together or if it is safer to keep them apart until Hopper is full grown.

Any advice would be appreciated.

FroxerMom

Reaction score
Herschel is my 11 month old Frenchie. He weighs 22 lbs and is all muscle. My daughter's Frenchie pup is only 5 months and weighs around 12 lbs. . When Hopper was smaller we didn't let the puppies play together much. Now that Hopper is bigger, Herschel wants to play but seems to be too aggressive. He goes after Hopper's back legs and although he does not bite hard, he has Hop's legs in his mouth. Most of the time we can't tell if they are playing or fighting.

We are not sure if it is okay to let them play together or if it is safer to keep them apart until Hopper is full grown.

Any advice would be appreciated.

That is exactly what my female does when playing.

I even have video of her doing it to her littermate before I adopted her. I'll see if I can find it and post.

FroxerMom

Reaction score
Found it!

Is this similar to what you are seeing during play with your daughter's Frenchie? When I first got Daphne I was horrified by how rough she plays with my much bigger Boxer but she has toned it down some. She used to jump up and grab his jowls and HANG FROM THEM. Doesn't do that anymore, thank goodness.

If what you see in this video is what yours is doing I wouldn't worry too much. Might just be a rough and scrappy pup like Daph!

Alice Kable

Reaction score
Buster has always been a roughneck when playing. When he was a baby he used to pull Ruggles around by his jowls. Ruggles would let Buster know when he'd had enough!

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Louie my bulldog who is younger than Jax always bites Jax’s legs when they play. I would almost bet it’s normal puppy play what you’re witnessing. The older one should correct him if he gets annoyed about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sandy B

Reaction score
Ha, thanks. Maybe when Hopper grows a bit Herschel will play nicer.

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
They do play rough and will bite each others rear legs and also each others necks. The time to stop the play is when they get too loud and crazy. That's when it's time for a time out.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Agree with the gang --- typical bulldog play session