Puppy eating unusual objects such as moss and rocks?

Frenchie007

Reaction score
Just curious if anyone had any suggestions on how to stop your frenchie from eating rocks and dirt when he goes outside? He often does it when excited or after going potty. If anyone had any insight as to why this is and how to improve this please reply, thank you

Alice Kable

Reaction score
I would tell him NO and LEAVE IT, and fish the rocks out of his mouth, you don't want those in his stomach. If he doesn't mind the oral commands keep him on a leash when he is around rocks. Buster eats grass and gets the runs. As long as he has a ball or 2 to play with while on the grass he doesn't eat it.

mattcantwin

Reaction score
Loki has a similar behavior with sticks.

He is not great with dropping the stick, so we usually do "trade" (with a small treat) to get the stick away from him.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Agree with Alice.... teach him 'leave it'. I had to do this with two of my babies... everything that they could get in their mouth was edible in their mind... so 'leave it' became a must have command in our house

GraciesMom

Reaction score
Gracie loves to pick up sticks and rocks while outdoors. I have taught her both the "leave it" and "drop it" commands but I usually have to bribe her with a treat. The sticks are a bigger concern for me because she will chew on those. She'll keep a small rock in her mouth and suck or chew on it a bit but she always drops those on her own. Still, I'll use the "drop it" command just in case.