Seizures? IVDD?

BruceDad

Reaction score
Hello! My name is Hank. I have a 5 year old Frenchie named Bruce. A couple of times throughout years he has had seizures. Laying on his side, panting, losing consciousness. Over Christmas break I noticed his back left leg dragging a bit after a long walk. Christmas Eve he started to have seizures. Cluster seizures around an hour in between. I thought it was the excitement of travel or him being with the other dogs (it has been a year since he left the house for a while). He has a tendency not to eat when he sees the suitcase. So I thought maybe it was blood sugar? The emergency vet there had closed due to COVID and the nearest one was 4 hours away. I drove him 5 hours back home to our vet. I had videoed them for the vet and I realized everytime he had a “spell” it was after he jumped off of something. We saw the vet and she said after reviewing the videos it was definitely a seizure. But she said aloud to herself “but that doesn’t explain the dragging foot or why his head is cocked left, unless it is muscle pain from the seizures. So she did blood work and sent us home with potassium bromide (2000 mg day for 5 days then 500 one time a day) and liquid Valium for when he has a seizure. Once we got home I noticed him trying to jump off the sofa. I am trying to be as diligent as I can. But he’s sneaky. Boom! Another seizure. So far he has had a couple since being on the meds but they aren’t as severe. But why always after he jumps off something or gets excited and jumps up? I called the vet. “No. It is a seizure!” So I tried to make an appointment. And it’s 4 days out. I bought a bed staircase and am keeping him in a crate when I am at work. Today, coming down the bed steps. Another one happened. Could a back problem or back pain trigger seizure activity? The meds make him a zombie and I don’t want him on that if it is not seizures. When I massage his back he doesn’t show any signs of pain. I’m worried and scared and don’t know what to do. I think I need a second opinion but on a teacher’s salary it is hard. But he’s my baby and I will find a way to pay whatever. Has someone experienced something like
This with your Frenchie? Thank you all! Hank

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Keep him on strict crate rest, only out to potty and eat/drink, carry him up and down any stairs and get him to a neurologist as soon as you can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk