Strange but positive reaction to other dogs

frenchbulldogfan1

Reaction score
Dear friends,

My 1,5years old frenchie shows a strange reaction to other dogs when we walk outside. So when we walk and there is another dog on our way he 1: goes down to the ground. 2. then when the other dog is closer he goes up a little bit and moves very slowly - it looks as if he was hunting. 3. then when they are very close it is all fine.

But:

1. People get worried - he looks as if he is going to attack (yeah, people don't recognise a frenchie and thing it is a predator... :w00t:)
2. It is really difficult to walk sometimes, especially in the morning. When we meet a lot of people with other dogs (and everyone is out in the morning) we are not able to go. He won't move until the other dog disappears.
3. When he was free for a few times he would run to the other dog. Some people don't want other dogs approaching too much.
4. The same happened once with a cat - he run away, he came back, but didn't react to any commends.

He is very easy to train, he is very intelligent. But when he sees another dog he kind of goes crazy. I was advised to be the first one who sees the other dog, take a snack and start distracting his attention. It worked but the moment he spotted the other dog he was not interested in me or in the snacks anymore. He was all focused on the other dog.

What can I do?

Mechadogzilla

Reaction score
I had one that used to do a similar thing. He would hunch up like a cat whenever another dog would walk down the street. I think he thought he was invisible. He didn’t do it all the time but would do it occasionally even when he was 12 or 13. Frenchies can be such goofballs.

FroxerMom

Reaction score
My Boxer does this. And he is 80 pounds. He wants to meet the dog and will plop down on the sidewalk and refuse to move, but then rises and starts wiggling and lunging as the other dog gets closer. We got a trainer when he first started doing it as an older puppy. He is incredibly strong and I could not control him. Trainer said when ever he looked like he was going to do something like that, we were to turn directions and walk the other way, only going in the original direction once he walked correctly. We practiced and practiced and tried every kind of high value treat to distract him and he got a little better but will still try to lay down sometimes if he sees someone coming. You are correct - it looks bizarre and is intimidating to people out walking. It's been difficult to deal with. Ours walks at off peak times now and gets most of his exercise in the backyard. Good luck!

frenchbulldogfan1

Reaction score
Thank you for your answers. But I must admit it doesn't comfort me at all :-( so does it mean that I should just accept that and nothing can be done about it? It can get really frustrating sometimes...
[MENTION=3191]FroxerMom[/MENTION], 80 pounds? Wow, so my situation is a little bit lighter, literary. My frenchie just looks funny, especially when it's really cold like today and he plop down and start trembling because he is so cold but he won't move. And of course he doesn't mind where he is at the particular moment - so when he stops in the puddle... he can lay there as well..

FroxerMom

Reaction score
Thank you for your answers. But I must admit it doesn't comfort me at all :-( so does it mean that I should just accept that and nothing can be done about it? It can get really frustrating sometimes...

[MENTION=3191]FroxerMom[/MENTION], 80 pounds? Wow, so my situation is a little bit lighter, literary. My frenchie just looks funny, especially when it's really cold like today and he plop down and start trembling because he is so cold but he won't move. And of course he doesn't mind where he is at the particular moment - so when he stops in the puddle... he can lay there as well..

Not necessarily do you need to just accept the situation. You can work with a trainer and may have more luck than I. My Boxer is almost 8 now and just as strong as when he was younger and super headstrong. It is just easier for me to have him romp in the backyard than walk at times of the day I know a ton of people will be out. Every dog is different though, and yours may be easier to train (size wise and he is still so young). You also indicated that yours likes training and is smart and wants to please. That's going to work in your favor. I get the side eye whenever I ask mine to do something more than once, and that definitely can be a Boxer trait. I taught him the basics of "come," "sit," "stay," "off," and "leave it" and that's about all he's gonna do. ;-)

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Not necessarily do you need to just accept the situation. You can work with a trainer and may have more luck than I. My Boxer is almost 8 now and just as strong as when he was younger and super headstrong. It is just easier for me to have him romp in the backyard than walk at times of the day I know a ton of people will be out. Every dog is different though, and yours may be easier to train (size wise and he is still so young). You also indicated that yours likes training and is smart and wants to please. That's going to work in your favor. I get the side eye whenever I ask mine to do something more than once, and that definitely can be a Boxer trait. I taught him the basics of "come," "sit," "stay," "off," and "leave it" and that's about all he's gonna do. ;-)

Yes! Trainer him to leave it or use the word easy and have him sit while the other dog passes.

I keep my two moving when on a walk, they don’t do well with other dogs when together so walks are for exercise and I am saying leave it a lot to keep them focused on the walk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

frenchbulldogfan1

Reaction score
Yep, I was also once advised to sit him or whatever. But the problem is when he sees another dog he looks like spellbound. He doesn't pay attention to me anymore. I think he would only if I shouted which I don't wanna do. I will try with more treats and we will see.

If I have a lot of time for walking I really don't mind but sometimes mornings can get really nasty when you sleep in, are in a hurry and then he won't go because so many dogs are around. And I also noticed that the more dogs he kinda gets distracted - like he won't poop, because he's so focused on what's going on around and seems to have forgotten why he wanted to go out in the first place, ha ha ha ... :D

Squishy Walnuts

Reaction score
Yep, I was also once advised to sit him or whatever. But the problem is when he sees another dog he looks like spellbound. He doesn't pay attention to me anymore. I think he would only if I shouted which I don't wanna do. I will try with more treats and we will see.

If I have a lot of time for walking I really don't mind but sometimes mornings can get really nasty when you sleep in, are in a hurry and then he won't go because so many dogs are around. And I also noticed that the more dogs he kinda gets distracted - like he won't poop, because he's so focused on what's going on around and seems to have forgotten why he wanted to go out in the first place, ha ha ha ... :D

Wally is the same but he's the type that can't greet other dogs on walks so we avoid anyone with a dog that's coming our way. I'm sure if I got one on one training with a professional we would be able to calm him down but financially I just swing it so I deal with it. Maybe try hiring a trainer? Or even clicker training?

FroxerMom

Reaction score

Funny...as mine will poop and/or pee almost immediately upon seeing another dog. She can't do it fast enough. I'm assuming she's marking the territory we happen to be in. Such a diva and wanna be alpha. I am so glad she listens and is obedient or I'd have a huge problem.