Sudden crate aversion? Help!

megts

Reaction score
Kara is 16 months old and has developed a deep hatred towards her crate in the span of a week. She roams free during the day and the crate is her "house" at night, door is always left open. She can see us from her crate as its located in our bedroom. She usually runs right in it and stays there until we wake her up in the morning. Not anymore.

We have tried everything - from treats, cleaning the crate thoroughly, locking the door, leaving it partially open, to sitting next to the crate while she is in it. Nothing works, all she does is sit in the crate and stare at us, refusing to go to sleep, clearly bothered. Gone are the days of her running to her crate at night. She has to be physically put there.
We caved in a couple of nights and brought her to bed in the middle of the night. We also tried putting her bed on the floor in our bedroom, outside the crate. She sleeps happily there but wakes up, trying to get us to pick her up. She gives up quickly but the clattering is very frustrating and disturbs our sleep.
Her crate is 24inch, with a comfy bed and a nice cover on top. I have now ordered a 30inch crate with a new cover. Hopefully that works.
Any suggestions, tips or similar stories are welcome. We have not slept properly in a week. Is she being a bratty teenager, testing our limits? Could she have gotten scared, perhaps from a thunderstorm?

P.S. Nothing has changed with her crate, position is the same as it has been for a while now. Only difference I can think of is that I did not feel well the weekend before the aversion started and she got a longer cuddle in bed before going to her crate. She gets a cuddle at night from time to time and it has never been an issue before.
I should add that she is healthy and happy as can be.

mattcantwin

Reaction score
How about an item of your clothing in the crate to tempt her back to “normal”.

Not freshly laundered, your scent is the “bait”.

If that doesn’t work, go back to the comfy bed...

but don’t give in to her desire to come up on the bed until the morning, if at all.

megts

Reaction score
How about an item of your clothing in the crate to tempt her back to “normal”.

Not freshly laundered, your scent is the “bait”.

If that doesn’t work, go back to the comfy bed...

but don’t give in to her desire to come up on the bed until the morning, if at all.

Thanks, we will try that tonight.

Her new, larger crate and cover arrive on Wednesday, I have a feeling that it might change things around. A lot of people on a local social media Frenchie group seem to think its a teenage revolt and we should persist with the crate. She doesn't make any whining sounds whilst in the crate but I just see her little face staring at us and it breaks my heart.

mattcantwin

Reaction score
... but I just see her little face staring at us and it breaks my heart.

Protect your heart.

WrfuLV5.jpg

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks, we will try that tonight.

Her new, larger crate and cover arrive on Wednesday, I have a feeling that it might change things around. A lot of people on a local social media Frenchie group seem to think its a teenage revolt and we should persist with the crate. She doesn't make any whining sounds whilst in the crate but I just see her little face staring at us and it breaks my heart.

She is training you... old T-shirt with your scent hopefully will help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk