Sudden respiratory distress

EmmanFrankie

Reaction score
So I was just wondering if anyone has any knowledge/experience about their Frenchie going into sudden respiratory distress, becoming cyonotic (blue), and respiratory failure? Frankie was perfect yesterday morning/afternoon; eating, drinking, playing, etc. we left him for an hour-hour & half in his kennel and when we came home he had pooped in his cage (normal/formed) and made a mess of it and seemed upset and drooling, I assumed because he was sitting in a dirty cage that was only just big enough for him (potty training). I gave him a warm bath, Avoiding his head cuz I don't like washing even my boxers heads being brachy. Dried immediately and thoroughly then tried to wrap him in a blanket. Normally he gets cuddly after a bath, but he wouldn't settle and his breathing was noisy but again normal after bathing. Holding him made his more upset so I put him in his basket to avoid stressing him more. His color was good. I checked him regularly, he was noisy, but he appeared to be resting. 2 hours later Ichecked him and his tongue was purple, took him to the ER, they did fluids and an oxygen cage, with no improvement. Left him for the night for mess & antibiotics, but they called 2 hours after we left that his lungs were harsh with crackles (fluid) and his breathing wasn't any better. They recommend we come say good bye. I waited to hear from my coworker, she had had him the last 6 weeks, and he was as much if not more hers than mine currently and I felt she deserved the chance to see him and have some input. Couple hours later we go to visit him and he's on his belly struggling to breathe, but responsive. I was going to transfer him to my work so that if he became agonal I would be there and able to make an immediate decision. Unfortunately about an hour later they called that he was coding and they were trying to resuscitate him, but it didn't look good. I chose to let him go, i didn't want to make him fight when he was giving up. I read the report a there was a lot of fluid that came out of him while they were working on him, they suspect his heart. I know I did what I could, and I know if he was revived it would still be bad.

Has anyone else had this happen, where their puppy went from normal to failure in barely 12 hours? I know he was compromised from pneumonia in August, but he was doing so good, especially these last 2 weeks, he gained nearly 4 pounds, I let his harness out twice this last week, he was active and looked so good. I have no parent/litter health as he was a surrender from his breeder. I just don't know why he went from normal to distressed from an hour & half in his kennel when he was doing fine with being crated for work. There's no possibility for toxin or foreign body ingestion, he may or may not have vomited +/- aspiration. The vets I work with are saying primary immune deficiency or some type of congenital heart defect that would have required echo/CT to diagnose. I just feel like I did something horribly wrong or stupid for him to have crashed like this, but I've been going over every minute from yesterday and it's all things I've done with him and my other 2 dogs before without complication.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh my goodness!! I’m so sorry this has happened as we were just welcoming you days ago. I have no experience with this but I am sorry for your loss. It sounds like this poor little guy didn’t stand a chance. Thankfully he experienced love and a good home before he crossed to the rainbow bridge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EPR35

Reaction score
OMG, this is so sad and I'm so sorry this happened to your baby! Please let us know if you are able to get the the bottom of why his health deteriorated so quickly as I'm sure there is something to be learned from this for all of us. Can you confirm how old he was?

My condolences

EmmanFrankie

Reaction score
The breeder claimed a DOB of 7/11, he came in our possession 8/14 at 2 pounds with eyes and ears open which makes him 10-14 days for sure. So he's between 8 and 12 weeks. He had pneumonia when we got him, got better, then developed an upper respiratory infection from vomiting/regurgitating thru his nose. No necropsy was done, he'd suffered enough. No real answer. One said his heart and a defect with a vessel not going away a birth like its supposed to. One said primary immune deficiency allowing every germ a chance to become illness. Another said incomplete healing/scarring from the pneumonia at such a young age allowing minor exposures to become severe disease.

EmmanFrankie

Reaction score
I've just never seen what appeared to be a healthy animal decline to respiratory/cardiac arrest in hours.

Frenchie Grrrl

Reaction score
I'm so heartbroken that you lost Frankie like that. It sounded like he had gotten over the medical hurdle that he was dealing with, and doing well. I can't imagine that you did anything wrong. More likely that he just wasn't a healthy pup and all the trauma took its toll. I'm so sorry that I don't have any answers for you. My heart goes out to you. I know you had already fallen in love.

Alice Kable

Reaction score
I am so sorry for your loss. It sounds like he had health problems from the beginning. You did all you could for him. :heart:

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
So very sorry for your loss and all you are struggling with.

You did everything right and all you could.. lung or heart issues at his age come on suddenly and take them quickly without any answers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EmmanFrankie

Reaction score
I knew this was a possibility taking him on, but he was so good I was hoping the worst was over and we were out of the woods. I certainly never expected him to go this soon let alone this fast. The rational part is ok with this, and thankful it was only hours vs days, that it wasn't after multiple bouts of illness, and I can understand this could have been for the best for him. But this sucks, I just paid for puppy class, added him to the lease, finally told people outside of work that I got him, then less than 48 hours later he's just gone.

Frenchie Grrrl

Reaction score
I've lost a couple pets before, but never one so suddenly like that. I'm sure it must be so, so hard. Feel free to post more pics here, if you think it will help. We'd love to see more of his little face.

Squishy Walnuts

Reaction score
I'm so sorry for your loss!! You did all that you could do for the little guy.