Supplements for arthritis recommendations please

Squishy Walnuts

Reaction score
Recently Wally was diagnosed with having arthritis on both hips. The vet gave us Flexadin Advanced to help him with this issue. According to the info I was able to find online these supplements seem to contain different ingredients than others.

To quote:
Unlike traditional joint supplements, Flexadin Advanced doesn’t contain glucosamine or chondroitin. Instead, it is made from a unique formula containing 3 key ingredients:

1. UCII is an undenaturated type II collagen, which uses the body’s natural support system to help maintain the normal metabolism of joints in the case of OA in dogs.
2. Vitamin E is a well-recognised antioxidant, which helps to neutralise damaging free radicals and protects cell membranes.
3. Omega-3 fatty acids act as regulators of the inflammatory process and can minimise the action of aggrecanase, an enzymes that breaks down cartilage.

He seems to like it fine but the price is a little high since I now have to buy supplements for him for the rest of his life. My other dog is 10 so she will probably need supplements soon too, she's slower going up the stairs these days. I'm fine with paying if these are the best but I was hoping for recommendations from anyone that gives their dogs supplements.

A little background info, I feed my dogs a fish based diet (Acana Pacifica) and add salmon oil, or sometimes coconut oil. Wally just turned 6 this year and has never moved like he has hip issues so I'm guessing it's the early stages of arthritis.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about Wally.

CBD oil and green lipped mussel powder are supposed to be good for joints and both are natural anti-inflammatories. I am actually going to start giving both to Jax to see if it helps with his spine at all. I know [MENTION=2]2bullymama[/MENTION] give Cheli Movoflex.

You can also look into acupuncture and/or laser therapy.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score

CBD oil and green lipped mussel powder are supposed to be good for joints and both are natural anti-inflammatories. I am actually going to start giving both to Jax to see if it helps with his spine at all. I know [MENTION=2]2bullymama[/MENTION] give Cheli Movoflex.

Yes, we use Movoflex for both pups and Chelios gets laser therapy once a month on his spine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carlsmom

Reaction score
Recently Wally was diagnosed with having arthritis on both hips. The vet gave us Flexadin Advanced to help him with this issue. According to the info I was able to find online these supplements seem to contain different ingredients than others.

To quote:
Unlike traditional joint supplements, Flexadin Advanced doesn’t contain glucosamine or chondroitin. Instead, it is made from a unique formula containing 3 key ingredients:

1. UCII is an undenaturated type II collagen, which uses the body’s natural support system to help maintain the normal metabolism of joints in the case of OA in dogs.
2. Vitamin E is a well-recognised antioxidant, which helps to neutralise damaging free radicals and protects cell membranes.
3. Omega-3 fatty acids act as regulators of the inflammatory process and can minimise the action of aggrecanase, an enzymes that breaks down cartilage.

He seems to like it fine but the price is a little high since I now have to buy supplements for him for the rest of his life. My other dog is 10 so she will probably need supplements soon too, she's slower going up the stairs these days. I'm fine with paying if these are the best but I was hoping for recommendations from anyone that gives their dogs supplements.

A little background info, I feed my dogs a fish based diet (Acana Pacifica) and add salmon oil, or sometimes coconut oil. Wally just turned 6 this year and has never moved like he has hip issues so I'm guessing it's the early stages of arthritis.

Try adding a dash of turmeric to his food! I have heard wonderful things from friends who have dogs with joint/arthritis problems.

Squishy Walnuts

Reaction score

Thank you! I have been looking into CBD oil and will check out the mussel powder too.

Yes, we use Movoflex for both pups and Chelios gets laser therapy once a month on his spine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks! I couldn't remember what you give to your pups. I'll have a look.

Try adding a dash of turmeric to his food! I have heard wonderful things from friends who have dogs with joint/arthritis problems.

I just read yesterday about turmeric. I'll look into that too. Thank you!

He doesn't act like he's in pain and walks and plays normally. He might need laser therapy when he gets older but for now I'll try a bunch of supplements to see what works for both pups.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
If I remember correctly, in order to get the benefits from turmeric, it needs to be given with black pepper. I'll see if I can find the back up, there might be info on another thread here but I know people on English Bulldog News that use the turmeric with the pepper.

Squishy Walnuts

Reaction score
If I remember correctly, in order to get the benefits from turmeric, it needs to be given with black pepper. I'll see if I can find the back up, there might be info on another thread here but I know people on English Bulldog News that use the turmeric with the pepper.

I actually read it on this forum not too long ago. I will check out EBN too. Thanks!

Honeys Owners

Reaction score
If you can find someone to bring in for you from US, Acti Flex is a good supplement- contains MSM, Glucosamine, Chondroitin, Ester C, Green Lipped Mussel, Ester C, Boswellia (Frankincense), Yucca, Bioperine and Hyaluronic Acid. It's meant for horses, so only a tiny amount is needed.
(25-50 pounds dog:
1 tsp. daily loading dose for 5 days then
½ tsp. daily maintenance dose)

https://www.bigdweb.com/product/acti+flex+solution+32+oz.do

I give 1/4 tsp of Acti Flex with 1/2 tsp ground turmeric powder, and 1 tsp virgin organic coconut oil, and an antihistamine, all mixed in to Honey's dog food twice daily. I tried stopping the coconut oil but her allergies got worse. She doesn't have arthritis that I know of, but it's a preventative.

Squishy Walnuts

Reaction score
If you can find someone to bring in for you from US, Acti Flex is a good supplement- contains MSM, Glucosamine, Chondroitin, Ester C, Green Lipped Mussel, Ester C, Boswellia (Frankincense), Yucca, Bioperine and Hyaluronic Acid. It's meant for horses, so only a tiny amount is needed.
(25-50 pounds dog:
1 tsp. daily loading dose for 5 days then
½ tsp. daily maintenance dose)

https://www.bigdweb.com/product/acti+flex+solution+32+oz.do

I give 1/4 tsp of Acti Flex with 1/2 tsp ground turmeric powder, and 1 tsp virgin organic coconut oil, and an antihistamine, all mixed in to Honey's dog food twice daily. I tried stopping the coconut oil but her allergies got worse. She doesn't have arthritis that I know of, but it's a preventative.

Thank you! This stuff sounds like it has everything. I'm very lucky that allergies are not an issue with Wally.

Honeys Owners

Reaction score

Since you feed Acana Pacifica you don't need any extra Omega-3 fatty acids. I give my dog the contents of one fish oil capsule a day https://www.costco.ca/Kirkland-Signature-100%25-Wild-Fish-Oil-Blend-1000-mg----360-Softgels.product.100054361.htmlsince I don't feed fish, and natural source Vitamin E 400IU once a week to replentish the Vit E lost from eating the fish oil.

Squishy Walnuts

Reaction score

Since you feed Acana Pacifica you don't need any extra Omega-3 fatty acids. I give my dog the contents of one fish oil capsule a day https://www.costco.ca/Kirkland-Signature-100%25-Wild-Fish-Oil-Blend-1000-mg----360-Softgels.product.100054361.htmlsince I don't feed fish, and natural source Vitamin E 400IU once a week to replentish the Vit E lost from eating the fish oil.

I found a fish oil made in Canada called Bonnie & Clyde. It states that it contains natural Vitamin E to avoid the Vit E deficiency when using fish oils:
https://www.amazon.ca/Wild-Omega-Fish-Dogs-Supplement/dp/B00WJ2WENI

99equine

Reaction score

I used CBD oil, acupuncture and laser therapy on my 13 year old Rottie. I couldn't believe the difference it made in his quality of life. Sadly I lost him at 13 1/2 from kidney failure brought on by years of using Rimadyl. I would never use Rimadyl again, I did not know how horrible it made his kidney's and if it wasn't for that I would have had him for more years. So whatever you do, DO NOT use RImadyl.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
I used CBD oil, acupuncture and laser therapy on my 13 year old Rottie. I couldn't believe the difference it made in his quality of life. Sadly I lost him at 13 1/2 from kidney failure brought on by years of using Rimadyl. I would never use Rimadyl again, I did not know how horrible it made his kidney's and if it wasn't for that I would have had him for more years. So whatever you do, DO NOT use RImadyl.

Jax has been getting acupuncture and laser therapy for his IVDD and we are now using CBD oil. He's been on prednisone for the last month due to a reoccurence but he is tapering off now. I made it clear that steroids were not a long term option for me. All of these drugs are just not good long term.

So sorry for your loss.

Honeys Owners

Reaction score
I found a fish oil made in Canada called Bonnie & Clyde. It states that it contains natural Vitamin E to avoid the Vit E deficiency when using fish oils:
https://www.amazon.ca/Wild-Omega-Fish-Dogs-Supplement/dp/B00WJ2WENI
Looks good ! I got a really good deal on the Omega 3 fish oil caps ( 3 x 210 caps Webber brand ) and Vitamin E caps from Costco, so I'll be using that for a while. If I feed fish I don't give any separate fish oil.
If my dog was in a lot of pain I wouldn't hesitate to add CBD oil as a pain killer.