4Health Dog Food

kpromero

Reaction score
Anyone try it or uses it? Looks pretty close to Fromm as far as Guaranteed Analysis

4Health
Ingredients:
Lamb, lamb meal, egg product, rice, millet, cracked pearled barley, pea protein, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), potatoes, oatmeal, tomato pomace, ocean fish meal, flaxseed, natural flavor, salmon oil (source of DHA), potassium chloride, salt, choline chloride, dried chicory root, dried kelp, carrots, peas, apples, tomatoes, blueberries, spinach, dried skim milk, cranberries, rosemary extract, parsley flake, yucca schidigera extract, L-Carnitine, dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus casei fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus plantarum fermentation product, dried Trichoderma longibrachiatum fermentation extract, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, niacin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

Guaranteed Analysis:
Crude Protein 27.0% (min.), Crude Fat 15.0% (min.), Crude Fiber 3.0% (max.), Moisture 10.0% (max.), Calcium 1.2% (min.), Phosphorus 1.2% (max.), Phosphorus 1.0% (min.), Zinc 150 mg/kg (min.), Selenium 0.4 mg/kg (min.), Vitamin E 150 IU/kg (min.), L-Carnitine* 30 mg/kg (min.), Omega-6 Fatty Acids* 2.2% (min.), Omega-3 Fatty Acids* 0.3% (min.), DHA (Docosahexaenoic acid)* 0.05% (min.),

Fromm

Ingredients
Duck, Chicken Meal, Chicken, Oatmeal, Pearled Barley, Menhaden Fish Meal, Brown Rice, Chicken Fat, Lamb, Potatoes, Dried Tomato Pomace, Dried Whole Egg, Salmon Oil, Cheese, Flaxseed, Brewers Dried Yeast, Alfalfa Meal, Carrots, Lettuce, Celery, Chicken Cartilage, Calcium Sulfate, Monocalcium Phosphate, Salt, Potassium Chloride, DL-Methionine, L-Tryptophan, Taurine, Chicory Root Extract, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Sodium Selenite, Sorbic Acid (Preservative), Vitamins, Minerals, Probiotics.

Guaranteed Analysis

Crude Protein 27% MIN
Crude Fat 18% MIN
Crude Fiber 3.5% MAX
Moisture 10% MAX
Omega 3 Fatty Acids 0.6% MIN
Omega 6 Fatty Acids 2.6% MIN

lkclark

Reaction score
Looks like twice as many ingredients...not sure what that means though.

Also don't forget the Fromm low-temp cooking process.
Does this company also do that?

KimB3384

Reaction score
When we brought Bisou home this is what the breeder recommended we feed her. She came from being raw fed, but I wasn't interested in that, so this is what we bought. Her eyes ears and belly were always red, she scratched all the time, and her stools were never solid. Oh, and she maybe went 11 times a day. It was awful. In hindsight, I can see it's because she can't eat potatoes. The irony is that I switched her to Fromm, thinking that she might do better on it, but: potatoes.

If your dog is okay with potatoes and sweet potatoes, this is probably a decent food. I think that dogfoodadvisor gave it 4 stars. Tomato pomace was a red flag for them, as was the pea protein.

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
All I can say is try t and see how she does on it.

kpromero

Reaction score
davidh, i ordered fromm for her. Someone told me about how they give their dogs 4health and i was just asking if anyone has used it on here.

bullmama

Staff member
Reaction score
I agree the ingredients don't look too shabby and the price is good. I have not tried it though, I know Fromm is the best so I'm sticking with it. But for someone on a tight budget this food seems pretty good.

kpromero

Reaction score
A friend of mine uses this for his Boxers and he told me about it, so I was just curious on your thoughts. Fromm puppy gold came in today and will give Rosie her first bowl later. She has been pooping like crazy at 7 weeks old and is very soft. Tomorrow is her last worming meds so that may be causing it also

bullmama

Staff member
Reaction score
A friend of mine uses this for his Boxers and he told me about it, so I was just curious on your thoughts. Fromm puppy gold came in today and will give Rosie her first bowl later. She has been pooping like crazy at 7 weeks old and is very soft. Tomorrow is her last worming meds so that may be causing it also

Try cutting back the amount you feed and see if it helps, even just a tablespoon too much can cause soft poo :)

kpromero

Reaction score
Thanks bullmama, I am feeding her the 1 cup a day per suggestions of Fromm. Feeding her 1/2 cup in morning and 1/2 in evening. She does not eat all of it and will walk away from it. Also will the Fromm puppy food be good for our Chihuahua's since they seem to like it also? or should i wait and until i switch Rosie to like the pork and peas and them let them eat that?

Abbott

Banned
Reaction score
Hi Kpromero,
Informative thread on dog food and will be of great help and information for those who recently bought french bulldog puppies and looking for their healthy food plan. Besides giving them nutritive food, make sure to clean their folds skin after each meal as it may lead to some health problems.

MaplesMommy

Reaction score
What would make me a little nervous is that lamb meal is the second ingredient. I always recommend to stay away from any 'meal' because what it really is is a soup of by-products and they are legally allowed to use euthanized,sick animals for that.
Rice is usually used as a filler and the salmon oil may indeed be a good source of DHA but NOT in kibble. By the time your dog consumes it its either rancid or not even present anymore.

bullmama

Staff member
Reaction score
What would make me a little nervous is that lamb meal is the second ingredient. I always recommend to stay away from any 'meal' because what it really is is a soup of by-products and they are legally allowed to use euthanized,sick animals for that.
Rice is usually used as a filler and the salmon oil may indeed be a good source of DHA but NOT in kibble. By the time your dog consumes it its either rancid or not even present anymore.

I believe as long as it is a named meal (lamb meal, beef meal, ect) it is not Horrible, but not perfect either. It's a boiled and dehydrated form of the meat. It's the meat meal or animal meal ect that are really bad.

More info about 'meal': http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/choosing-dog-food/about-meat-meal/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MaplesMommy

Reaction score
Any kind of meal is made from by- products. Even beef meal or chicken meal COULD come from euthanized,sick animals.
The question is where does the 'animal ingredient' come from. Sadly the majority of pet owners don't know.

mhuinker

Reaction score
davidh, i ordered fromm for her. Someone told me about how they give their dogs 4health and i was just asking if anyone has used it on here.

I use it but am switching to Fromm. I 4health is a good brand (grain free), but I think Fromm is better and have noticed a Lot less/almost non existent foot licking since switching to Fromm.

kpromero

Reaction score
Another question, seems our 5 year old and 11 year old Chihuahua's want the Fromm puppy instead of what we have been feeding them. Is it okay for them to eat also. For some reason they do not want the Royal Canin chihuahua breed formula anymore.

MaplesMommy

Reaction score
Usually puppy food is high in Protein and moderate- high in fat. As the dog gets older it should get less calories and especially fat. (Im talking about kibble. Raw is something totally different just fyi :p). Now the 5 year old would probably be doing fine on it but Im not quite sure if it would be the best for the 11 year old.
What I definitely do know though is that they shouldnt be eating Royal Canin and I totally understand why they refuse it!