Surgery? Has anyone done this!

jdunkle07

Reaction score
I have a 1 1/2 year old Frenchie and my vet highly recommend that I have surgery done on my Frenchie for his breathing. It’s called brachycephalic airway syndrome. Has anyone else done this? Any advice or input would be very much appreciated!

TIA!

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a 1 1/2 year old Frenchie and my vet highly recommend that I have surgery done on my Frenchie for his breathing. It’s called brachycephalic airway syndrome. Has anyone else done this? Any advice or input would be very much appreciated!

TIA!

Yes, unfortunately it is very common for Bulldogs to need this procedure. Two of my guys needed it, my Frenchie actually had to have it done twice. Be sure you vet is experienced in the procedure

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jdunkle07

Reaction score
Yes, unfortunately it is very common for Bulldogs to need this procedure. Two of my guys needed it, my Frenchie actually had to have it done twice. Be sure you vet is experienced in the procedure

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes I’m taking him in mid February for a consultation. How was the recovery time for your frenchies? I’ve heard it takes up to 6 weeks? Thank you!

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes I’m taking him in mid February for a consultation. How was the recovery time for your frenchies? I’ve heard it takes up to 6 weeks? Thank you!

Our first boy bounced back in days but you need to keep them calm.

Our Frenchie, Chelios... he was a handful during recovery! The issue was we created at the time for safety while at work but didn’t realize his barking and whining while in crate would cause scarring... enter second procedure to remove scar tissue. Point being, they recover quickly but you need to follow restrictions... keep calm, no forced exercise or play, leash walking, soft food for a few days to a week and try to , if post, limit what would trigger barks— if you can

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carson1834

Reaction score

My guy got neutered, palette trimmed, nares widened and umbilical hernia fixed a couple weeks ago. He walked out of the vet’s office like nothing happened. I fed him soft food for about a week. Tried keeping him quiet/calm during that time (wasn’t always successful as he still has rambunctious puppy energy) and no walks.

Honestly it was a super simple recovery. I was pleasantly surprised. My guy acted like nothing happened to him and he’s almost 100% fully recovered now from what I can tell.

Lee

Reaction score
I was told to wait for an evaluation for when the puppy is at least 8-10 months old.
I hope to be able to do the pallet and neutering at the same time.
I worry about anesthesia. Any advise would be helpful.
Thanks!

bigislandgrrl

Reaction score
I think there are vets out there that suggest this surgery for every Frenchie they see, not just the ones that need it. I wouldnt put under Anesthesia for anything that isnt absolutely necessary.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
I think there are vets out there that suggest this surgery for every Frenchie they see, not just the ones that need it. I wouldnt put under Anesthesia for anything that isnt absolutely necessary.

Agree. Unfortunately some vets will just automatically recommend certain surgeries any time they see a bulldog regardless if they actually need it or not.