Complete dog newbie!

Jade

Reaction score
HI, I have been researching getting a dog for some time and have my heart sent on a Frenchie. I am going to see a lovely little girl puppy on Sunday but before I go (and fall in love and decide I need to have her) I want to make sure I've considered everything. I'd really appreciate a bit of advice on things i need to consider things I need to buy, how difficult/easy it is to train a puppy (I really have no clue!)
and anything else you wish someone had told you before you got a Frenchie pup.

Thank you :)

mhuinker

Reaction score
Welcome to the site Jade. I'm going to leave the advice to the experts here, but I have to say, I was you not too long ago! :) I now have my beautiful boy Leo after almost a year of doing research on the breed and finding the right breeder. Welcome to the site and good luck on your search! :)

trishkidd24

Reaction score
Being a dog owner is something I will always be. They are such wonderful companions, and I couldn't imagine my home without one (that's why I have three). With that being said, yes, any dog regardless of breed is a lot of work. Puppies especially! With a puppy you will constantly be training them, potty training, behavioral training, etc... Potty training always seems to be the most frustrating, and as I was told by my breeder Frenchies are not the easiest to potty train... Not the hardest, but not the easiest either... I would say they score a 5 out of 10 with potty training ha but that's just my opinion.

In regards to the french bulldog breed compared to others (I have a frenchie and 2 large mixed breeds), frenchies are a hoot. They are funny, spunky, and loving... As puppies and young dogs they are energetic, but it seems to burn out quickly with moderate play and exercise, so they won't drive you nuts like some other small breeds.

Frenchies are known to have a long list of heath issues, so just be sure to research all the issues they are prone to and be sure you are willing to work through those issues regardless of money or stress. Some frenchies seem to be as healthy as any other dog, and then others seem to have a long list of issues... I guess you never know, just be sure to pick the most reliable breeder you can. The kind of breeder that has bred the dog for good health traits.

All the work and time and energy in the end is always worth it though in my eyes. My dogs make me laugh and smile, and keep me company any time I am home. My husband and I work opposite shifts so without my dogs I think I would be quite lonely. Hope this little bit helps, I am sure there will be others that will come along and have some awesome advice as well!

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
I got my Frenchie in June and it was love at first sight (for both of us). He fit right into our family and was not too difficult to potty train, although now at 7 months old, he has had some accidents this week while left alone during the day. He is the biggest love bug ever and loves to cuddle when he sleeps. Watching him run around and play brings me so much joy, I can just sit and stare at him for hours. I had my heart set on a Frenchie and read books and articles on the internet. You definitely need to be fully committed as they can have health issues, including food and environmental allergies which is definitely a pain and can be frustrating. I have spent quite a bit of money on different types of high quality food, trying to find one that he likes and can tolerant. He also possibly has some sort of environmental allergies and I have been giving him a wipe down after every time he comes inside. All in all, I love my Jax to death and I would do anything for him, he is my best friend and the love of my life!

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
The article "I am your puppy" is a good read, I didn't write it though, the author is unknown. Having a Frenchie in the house will bring you joy as they are a great breed to own. Others have given great advise and have pretty much explained the breed. I wish I would have gotten my Frenchie years ago. I have several English bulldogs and have had them for sometime now, and have always wanted a Frenchie and just recently received one and she is better than I expected. The thing to remember about getting a puppy is, be ready to have your floors peed and pooped on, your furniture customized by them chewing and your shoes and anything else left on the floor to be chewed on. But at the end of the day they make it all worth it by the joy and love they give you.

winginit66

Reaction score
Hi Jade - You will laugh EVERY day. That, in itself, makes all of the other 'stuff' worth it. Anne & Gidget in VA.

Alice Kable

Reaction score
Jade, welcome to FBN. I have had English Bulldogs since the 80s, usually 2 at a time. As luck had it, thanks to a breeder error, I ended up with a half Olde English Bulldogge, half French Bulldog. He has Frenchie ears, size, and Frenchie behavior, with OEB markings. He is delightful. I so love him. My next dog will be a Frenchie!

Julie Stevenson

Reaction score
Welcome and you came to the right place for advise. Being a trainer i always let people know it's a lot of work especially for the first 3-6 months as you are constantly working to potty train and just teach the little guy your routine and what is ok and what is not. BUT, if your willing to do the work the REWARDS FAR out weigh the frustrations you are going to experience with a puppy. I have owned dogs my entire life and I can't see my life without one. They are the only companions we humans have that offer us unconditional love!

MY advise, if you choose to get a frenchie (and they are a WONDERFUL BREED) I would make sure and purchase Pet Insurance. If you do end up with health issues it's a life saver! Ollier is my first frenchie and the first dog I have ever gotten health insurance for and man I'm sure glad I did! At 4 months old he flew down the stairs and broke his elbow! The bill was 4000 !!!! So, get the insurance, get some baby gates, get some books on training, and once he's all done with shots enroll in an obedience class. The dog won't learn ANYTHING in class, but you WILL and the training of the dog happens at home when you work with him. Don't expect much in the classes as your pup will be distracted by the other dogs. But listen and take in what the trainer tells you because that's what you need when you get home. The real work happens at home with you one on one with the dog.

IF you have more questions feel free to ask. I'm on here all the time, plus everyone here is REALLY helpful!

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Be prepared for lots of love and goggles... they are real clowns and attention hogs.

schedule is everything... get one set and stick to it and potty training will be a snap

HugosMama

Reaction score
As a new French Bulldog owner myself, I must agree with everything that trishkidd24 (and the others as well) have said. I have had dogs my whole life, but usually large breed. On whole, I would say that potty training is taking a little bit longer - but after a month of being very vigilant he almost has it. I don't know if you have thought about pet insurance, but as Julie said, it is something to consider. After reading these boards and some others as well, we opted for peace of mind and went ahead and bought it. The only other thing that I was very aware of when looking for a puppy was the temperament of the parents. Like you, my heart was also set on getting a French Bulldog- and all I can say is that it is everything I thought it would be and more!! Good luck and I look forward to hearing what you decide.

Jade

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies everyone. I live in Cyprus and pet insurance doesn't really exist. there is only one insurer and they only cover EUR 1000 for 165 per year. However the vets bills here are quite cheap ( I think!) It's EUR 130 for a spay, my sister had a husky puppy and he broke his leg and I'm sure the surgery cost around EUR 200. So I'm not sure if the insurance is worth while or not. I might get it for the first year and see how we go. I'm going to see the puppy tomorrow and I am super excited. Here she is dog 2.jpgdog.jpg first as a puppy with her two brothers and now 5 weeks later :D Are there anythings I should look out for when I see her?

๐Ÿ†• Latest posts