What am I doing wrong?

Ilvsantana

Reaction score
She is 4 years old and ive only been her owner for a month and 1/2. She was abused , kept in a cage and overbred. She really doesn't play, and drops to the submissive position when someone leans down to pet her. I understand that timid ness will eventually disappear when she knows she is in a safe place. My problem is housebreaking. I take her outside every 2 hours, and sometimes she goes potty, mostly she just stands beside me and stares off into space. When we come back inside, I usually turn my back for a minute and bam. she pees on the floor. I have scolded her lightly ( I dont want to scare her because of her abuse. Any advice?

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Rule of thumb for rescue dogsโ€ฆ it will take up to 3 months for them to full relax in the new home. She most likely never knew the outside of a confined space (crate,barn, garage) and potty where she stood/sat. try whenever she gots in house wipe it up with paper towel and take outside and wipe lace her near it so she begins to smell it outdoors. It will take time. My guy was a rescue of sorts, owner surrendered and live at our vet four months so training him at home took two full years before he would signal to go out and not where he was standing

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Great advice from Christine. Since she is a rescue, you probably need to start from the beginning and potty train like you would a puppy and give lots of treats and praise when she goes outside. She will definitely need awhile to adjust to her new living situation and not being in a crate all day.