Article: French Bulldog Allergy Treatments and Prevention

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
I wish I would’ve seen your post months ago. My Frenchie patch has every symptom. He’s been on 3 different ear medications and cleansers. Vet recommended changing his food. Do you have any recommendations?

What are you feeding now... brand/protein

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maryannmas

Reaction score
I was using natural balance but the vet told me to get royal canine. He has hit spots, bad ear infections. Last one is going on 3 weeks now. This time he’s on Temaril. Now I’m sure after reading your post he has allergies.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
I was using natural balance but the vet told me to get royal canine. He has hit spots, bad ear infections. Last one is going on 3 weeks now. This time he’s on Temaril. Now I’m sure after reading your post he has allergies.

Royal canon is crap food... lots of fillers and grains, no real protein or nutrition.

Look into either of these high quality kibbles... try duck or turkey as the protein

Zingnature
Fromm
Acana
Origen
Earthborn Holistic

If you are willing, raw is best... Answers, Vital Essentials, Primal, Stella and Chewys..... dehydrated raw - The honest kitchen or Spot Farms

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Frenchie Grrrl

Reaction score
The new problem I keep hearing about now is that dogs are having heart related issues with some of these grain free kibble formulas that have a high pea or potato content. :(

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
The new problem I keep hearing about now is that dogs are having heart related issues with some of these grain free kibble formulas that have a high pea or potato content. :(

just add a can of sardines once a week to cover the taurine

Frenchie Grrrl

Reaction score
just add a can of sardines once a week to cover the taurine

Well, from what I've read, it's not a lack of taurine in the food, rather the lechtins in the peas, etc block the uptake of the taurine. Since I don't feed kibble, I really haven't looked into it much though.

Gigi

Reaction score
Dermatologist Visit Update: Sergeant had his skin testing done yesterday. As I expected he has allergies to environmental elements. Dust was a major one (for me too) and I have never seen as much dust as we have in Utah. I'm from Florida and my house couldn't get as dusty in 6 mos as it does here in 2-3 days :-( There is also a mite that gets into your dog food so I will be looking for a dog food that is resealable like the RX Royal Canin was. There is nothing we can do about the grasses, weeds and trees so we will be doing the desensitization. Our serum should be here next week and it starts with weekly injections and then goes to every other week for 6 months and then we see and may need to extend his treatment for another 6 months. I will be giving the injections myself. The cost of the desensitization serum was about $250 and lasts for 6 months so it's really not all that expensive. The testing was a little more expensive than the first diagnostic visit and all together we'll have about $1300 wrapped up into the diagnosis and treatment. I figure I would have spent $1300 easily over his lifetime spot treating him. Poor baby has 2 shaved spots on his leg for the catheter and a big shaved square on his side with lots of welts :-( That was the worst part of the whole thing for me but I am hopeful all this will work and we can move on. I'll update so people will know if it's worth the investment. :yes:

He's eating Kibble that might be the problem right there. Frenchies and kibble just don't do well. Kibble is like the mcdonalds of dog food. I'd look into raw or home cooked food. Try it for atleast 2 weeks and see if you see a difference. I home cook my boys food and will never look back. Vets always prescribe kibble because they have deals with the companies, remember its a business at the end of the day and need to make their money even if they're doctors. Try raw or home cooked 100%!

🆕 Latest posts