Dandruff: cocunut oil??

LaurenKristiRob

Reaction score
Hi Everyone!!

Just got my little man Gus (first frenchie) this weekend and he has quite the load of dandruff going on. Gave him his first bath yesterday with martha stewarts oatmeal hypoallergenic shampoo. Its gone down a little but the vet said to add fish oil to his food. My breeder also said that using coconut oil and massaging it into his fur works as well as adding it to his food. He's already on Taste of the Wild Salmon so hes getting a lot of omega3's and fatty acids. What are your veteran opinions? Coconut oil massage and add to food or the fish oil?? Thank you!!
Lauren and Gus

MaplesMommy

Reaction score
Id do both. Use the coconut oil topically and feed it as well.
But I would also add a good quality(!) Omega 3 Fish Oil to his diet. Even though his kibble is fish based, by the time they eat it, most of the Omega 3's(which they dont add a whole bunch anyway) will be gone or turned rancid. (Make sure the bag doesnt last longer than 30 days.)

Chiana

Reaction score
When Moses was a puppy he generated a loads of dandruff when he got nervous or overly excited or got into new situation. It went away when he grew older.
At times he looked like someone has poured sugar on his back. It only lasted as long as he was in a specific situation. It was so weird.

Omega3 add-on to Gus's diet is a really good advise, in addition to coconut oil.

bullmama

Staff member
Reaction score
I would stick with the salmon oil. He should be getting nuvet plus daily, is he? If not I would get him on those and it will probably get rid of your dandruff issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Squishy Walnuts

Reaction score
Salmon/fish oil would do the trick. I give it to both my dogs on top of their kibble and they both have amazing, shiny coats.

Tgirl

Reaction score
What is a good quality fish oil and how much should you give?

MaplesMommy

Reaction score
I personally use the Ascenta Fish Oil. Its made here in Nova Scotia, but Im sure they ship.
What I like about them, is that they use Sardines, which are a very small fish and only have a short life span so not a lot of time/space to absorb any potential toxins from the water. They also test for mercury and other toxins to make sure their fish oil is clean.
When it comes to fish oil, definitely make sure it comes from a good source and check what fish type they use.

And then once opened, keep it in the fridge for no longer than 90 days. Around 90 days it will turn rancid, which can be harmful if continued to give long term.
So Id go with a smalle bottle, rather than buying a giant one and having to throw out quite a bit.

Tgirl

Reaction score
I personally use the Ascenta Fish Oil. Its made here in Nova Scotia, but Im sure they ship.
What I like about them, is that they use Sardines, which are a very small fish and only have a short life span so not a lot of time/space to absorb any potential toxins from the water. They also test for mercury and other toxins to make sure their fish oil is clean.
When it comes to fish oil, definitely make sure it comes from a good source and check what fish type they use.

And then once opened, keep it in the fridge for no longer than 90 days. Around 90 days it will turn rancid, which can be harmful if continued to give long term.
So Id go with a smalle bottle, rather than buying a giant one and having to throw out quite a bit.

Thank you! I'm going to see if I can get that here. :)

hannah

Reaction score
I would stick with the salmon oil. He should be getting nuvet plus daily, is he? If not I would get him on those and it will probably get rid of your dandruff issue.

I don't buy these. Why do you recommend them? Do they sell them in Canada?

hannah

Reaction score
Id do both. Use the coconut oil topically and feed it as well.
But I would also add a good quality(!) Omega 3 Fish Oil to his diet. Even though his kibble is fish based, by the time they eat it, most of the Omega 3's(which they dont add a whole bunch anyway) will be gone or turned rancid. (Make sure the bag doesnt last longer than 30 days.)

Are you saying dog kibble that is fish should be used before 30 days? We have a big bag or Orijen 6 fish that is definitely over 30 days old..... Is it bad to use after that?

Jakeyjake

Reaction score
I top Jake's food with fresh (cooked) wild salmon and his coat is like bunny fur! He's spoiled. Stella hates it and spits it out so I add oil to her food.

bullmama

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't buy these. Why do you recommend them? Do they sell them in Canada?

I recommend them because they help bring the immune system up. The coat and the glow is noticeable when they are on them. Plus if you read all the positive reviews and amazing testimonials it is always worth trying, especially with a money back guarantee.

Yes, they do ship to Canada and have a warehouse in Canada. However you cannot order from the website, you have to call.
The number to call to order is 1-800-474-7044 and the order code is 1101106

hannah

Reaction score
I recommend them because they help bring the immune system up. The coat and the glow is noticeable when they are on them. Plus if you read all the positive reviews and amazing testimonials it is always worth trying, especially with a money back guarantee.

Yes, they do ship to Canada and have a warehouse in Canada. However you cannot order from the website, you have to call.
The number to call to order is 1-800-474-7044 and the order code is 1101106

Thank you so much I will check these out

MaplesMommy

Reaction score

blushy

Reaction score
hmm this is concerning... I will have to do some more research. The Best before dates on the bags don't mention this at all?

I try to use mine before 30 days.

Our local pet store I get our dogs food from was out of the small bags so I grabbed medium instead of large just to try to use as much of it over 30 days as I can!

It sucked because I use 2 different proteins and at 1 1/2 cups a day per dog out of 14 & 15 lb bags it doesn't deplete very quickly!

hannah

Reaction score
You may want to read this article :
https://m.facebook.com/PlanetPawsPe...1441228101./862585877149629/?type=1&source=42

I would not use the same bag of food for more than 30 days max. (Absolute max).

Update! I have tossed the food we had. Bought new food (small bag) and an air tight container to store it in.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention! This is our first dog, we didn't even think about this. We just figured if we followed the expiration date on the bag we would be fine.

But I guess it makes sense, the expiration date is for the food when it is sealed, once its open and if not stored properly that time goes way down...

Anyway thanks a lot

MaplesMommy

Reaction score
Update! I have tossed the food we had. Bought new food (small bag) and an air tight container to store it in.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention! This is our first dog, we didn't even think about this. We just figured if we followed the expiration date on the bag we would be fine.

But I guess it makes sense, the expiration date is for the food when it is sealed, once its open and if not stored properly that time goes way down...

Anyway thanks a lot

No problem at all :)
I agree though, it should be stated on the bag itself.

bullmama

Staff member
Reaction score
You can also freeze some food to keep dust mites from invading after opening it.