Dry vs. Wet food

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Does anyone mix wet food with their kibble? I'm just wondering if there are any benefits to this.

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
We don't, but the breeder we got our Frenchies from does, and the more things I read, I think it is a benefit to it. Seems like they don't get enough water when they eat only dry, so we may change in the near future.

TinkyTella

Reaction score
I actually mix about a Tablespoon of Pumpkin Puree (100% pumpkin) not the pie filling in with Stella's food morning and night and she absolutely loves it. It is really high in fiber and it really helps with digestion and her toots have almost disappeared which is pretty amazing because she could clear a room in about 5 seconds! :)

Alice Kable

Reaction score
We have only used a really bland canned food and that was about 8 years ago. I can see where it would be beneficial and aid their digestion.

lkclark

Reaction score
While there are numerous nutritional benefits to adding wetness to a dry diet, I have heard that it can cause the transitioning dog to 'scarf down' his food very quickly, resulting in gas. I'm sure that it is a great feeding practice, but maybe monitor his eating habits at first. lol

lkclark

Reaction score
Alternatively you can add some hydration to dry kibble with other ingredients, such as plain yogurt, cottage cheese, berries, etc. It doesn't have to be canned 'dog' food.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Alternatively you can add some hydration to dry kibble with other ingredients, such as plain yogurt, cottage cheese, berries, etc. It doesn't have to be canned 'dog' food.

Last week I tried out some blueberries and it was so cute. At first, Jax would take them out of his bowl and then roll them around on the floor. Eventually he figured out he could eat them so the playing with them stopped and then he just gobbled them up. I also give him some green beans or carrots with his dinner as well. I have not tried cottage cheese yet.

lkclark

Reaction score
Last week I tried out some blueberries and it was so cute. At first, Jax would take them out of his bowl and then roll them around on the floor. Eventually he figured out he could eat them so the playing with them stopped and then he just gobbled them up. I also give him some green beans or carrots with his dinner as well. I have not tried cottage cheese yet.

Lol that's so cute.

jessicae091

Reaction score
I used to mix wet food & it seemed to help them go potty easier. Not that they had any problems going potty, but it seemed to come a little quicker. I now 100% pure pumpkin & they can get enough of it! I mix it up every once and a while, switching off between the wetfood & pumpkin :)

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
no wet food, but I do add yoguart, frozen veggies or some fruit

Willowrun

Reaction score
I always feed kibble with a wet food/very hot water mixed up gravy over everyone's meals. the oils from the canned food are good for their coat, the water aids in pre digestion/ elimainates alot of gas, they never have issues with anal glands and all dogs love something hot and gooey to eat so no eating disorders and I have 9 dogs!