First surgery for my 5 year old french

wazzykim

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Firstly, thanks in advance for any insights and advice to come :D My 5 year old frenchie developed a lump on his ball sack a few months ago. I took him to the vet and put him on a course of antibiotics. The bump shrank but didn't fully go away. The vet mentioned getting him fixed but it didn't seem urgent. Throughout the next few months, the bump changed in size but my dog was acting normal so didn't think much of it.

When I got home yesterday from work, I noticed he was terribly uncomfortable. He was scratching the area with the lump and it was red and swollen. Took him to the vet this morning and the vet strongly recommended removing the lump and fixing him at the same time since he's in surgery anyways. The thing that worries me are the effects of anesthesia for my frenchie. He mentioned surgery is riskier for french bulldogs due to brachycephalic syndrome. The look on his face and tone of his voice is causing me to worry quite a bit!

Has anyone gotten their frenchie fixed and if so, what is the process pre, during and post surgery? My vet mentioned my frenchie might have to get intubated but when i researched on my own, intubation is a must for dogs with brachycephalic syndrome.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated!!

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
If the vet is a bulldog knowledgeable vet, there should not be issues. Not saying something can’t happen, but if they’re familiar with the breed, they should be aware of the what anesthesia is safe and the proper protocols.

Both my males have been neutered and both bounced right back the next day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Where are you located? Is your vet bulldog savvy...

I had three done without issue .. our vet is very bulldog knowledge and takes all the steps to prevent any issues

wazzykim

Reaction score
Where are you located? Is your vet bulldog savvy...

I had three done without issue .. our vet is very bulldog knowledge and takes all the steps to prevent any issues

I really appreciate the responses!! I'm located in NYC and in search of a vet that is bulldog savvy. I have 2 dogs, 10 year old pitbull and a 5 year old frenchie. My vet has been excellent with the pitbull but the french is more complicated and has breed specific issues that my vet doesn't really have the experience in. Hence looking for a new vet for my frenchie.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
I really appreciate the responses!! I'm located in NYC and in search of a vet that is bulldog savvy. I have 2 dogs, 10 year old pitbull and a 5 year old frenchie. My vet has been excellent with the pitbull but the french is more complicated and has breed specific issues that my vet doesn't really have the experience in. Hence looking for a new vet for my frenchie.

@rico is in NYC

🆕 Latest posts