Hello from Washington State

Tommi

Reaction score
Hi there, my name is Naomi and I'm new to French Bulldog ownership. I've been interested in the breed for about decade, and after our sweet senior dog passed away in 2014 I decided to finally look into bringing one home. After tracking down the right breeder and waiting about year, he's finally home! Tommi will be 10 weeks on Christmas eve. Our household is simply head over heels for this little narcoleptic piglet! He's primarily going to be my companion dog to accompany me just about everywhere, but will also likely compete with him in obedience and possibly agility, in addition to conformation so long as he doesn't fall apart.

He's super food motivated and has great focus, which is making my job a breeze. Working on potty training which is a bit more challenging this time of year with weather as he thinks standing in the rain isn't too fun. He has a crate bedside, and last night he slept solid with no cries. However, if he realizes I left the room there's still a lot of protest. He's also learning the basics such as: name, recall, sit, stay, down, front, finish, wait. Mostly marking behaviors right now with a tiny piece of kibble pressed between fingers for him to follow and rewarding on him glancing up for eye contact. Haven't introduced a leash yet. Pretty impressed on how quick he's picking things up, to be quite frank I expected much less of him based off age and breed. I got a video clip of his just-learned recall from approx 20ft yesterday, really proud (and surprised) that he actually seems to be quite clever. He has a good sit and down, doing lots of puppy push ups which is about the cutest darn thing I've ever seen. Yet, he's still SUCH a baby and suckles in his sleep. Just the easiest and most affectionate puppy I've ever had, wants to snuggle 24/7.. beyond happy with him.

Why I'm here:

Other than to see adorable pictures of Frenchies.. I'm interested in learning about people's experiences with carrying pet insurance for their dogs. Is it worth it? Although he comes from health tested lines, life still happens. Also, I just started him on raw (Darwin's - which thankfully he LOVES) and would like to hear about other's experience with feeding raw to their dogs.

Also looking for tips or information on showing this breed in conformation, and general history such as noteworthy historic bloodlines etc. I'd like to learn more about Tommi's lines, he is related to some of the Jackpot dogs such as Money, Money, Money, Monte Carlo etc, and also Cox's Goodtime Ace in the Hole, Cox's Goodtime Charlie Brown etc. I coincidentally noticed that my container of Nose Butter has a picture of a Jackpot dog on the lid.

What else... any good suggestions on coats? I'll be taking him up into the mountains in cold climates often. I pre-purchased two for him, and returned both due to poor fitment.

FullSizeRender (3).jpgFullSizeRender (4).jpg

MaplesMommy

Reaction score
Hi & welcome to the Forum.
What a cute little baby!

I personally don't have pet insurance, and,knock on wood, wouldnt have needed it so far anyway. I'd like to put some money aside each month incase of an emergency rather than spending an x amount of money each month for something you may not even ever need. But that's a personal preferance.

As for the diet. I have all my pets (one frenchie & 2 cats) on a raw diet and they are all super healthy. I work in the pet health 'industry,' so for me a species appropriate, fresh diet is important. Nothing better than raising your pup this way :)

We have had a lot of trial and error when it comes to jackets. We now have a really nice one that fits well, but Frenchies can be hard to fit. (Especially if they're still growing).

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
OMG --- how precious, I SO love Frenchie babies! :luv:

going to tag a few members that canhelp on your show and raw questions.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome! I am in the Seattle area as well.

I just started feeding Jax raw about a month ago as he has allergies and was constantly scratching and licking his paws. He has done exceptionally well on it and his scratching and paw licking have significantly decreased. I've ordered buffalo online but am able to get the Vital Essentials brand at a local pet store. Jax is very food motivated as well.

I do have pet insurance through VPI and pay about $35 per month for major medical and a wellness plan.

Jakeyjake

Reaction score
We don't have pet insurance but just wanted to say welcome to you and Tommi. What a handsome little guy.

Tommi

Reaction score
Thank you for the warm welcome! Potty training is certainly more pleasant with this diet, and I'm so happy he approves of eating raw! Yes, it seems to be a bit tricky fitting a jacket to a small bread loaf with stubby little legs. I found the Canada Pooch brand coats online and they seem to have Frenchies as models. But they are a bit pricey for a puppy that will quickly outgrow a coat. Maybe for when he's full grown. I'm on the fence about insurance, I've never had coverage for past dogs and ended up with some huge vet bills.. even an emergency surgery from simply snorting up a tiny bur from a sticker bush when running through a field.

eeturk

Reaction score
We have pet insurance. Healthy paws. It has come in handy due to a few random freak accidents and it's worth it to me.

We also feed raw and have seen an enormous difference in our dog since starting it. I will never feed another dog kibble based on what I've seen with this one.

As far as jackets go, we've had good luck with the ones from tj maxx and home goods. Especially with the puppy sizes. They're inexpensive and great quality and you can buy them often enough to grow with them.

Welcome! He is adorable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
Welcome to the family and so glad you are here. Your baby is a beauty. I would love to see some stacked pics of him. We are a breeder and breed for conformation. We currently have 5 Frenchies and 2 English, and we have never had pet insurance. So that would be up to you, as you say things do happen, but we have been fairly lucky with ours. As long as you have a good blood line, the chances go down for health problems, but no guarantee, as you know.

I am familiar with the Cox line, a very good line I might add. We have two out of that line and plan on a future breeding from that line. If you want to show for conformation, then I would start with leash training now, and start practicing free stacking, that way when he gets 6 months old, you can start showing him.

Tommi

Reaction score
Thank you! I'll check out TJMaxx for coats soon!

David, I'll try to get some stacked photos. He comes from Sue Everett (Tidewater French Bulldogs) all her dogs that I've met are just so lovely. We will be getting another from her from a future litter whenever that may be. Which of your two dogs go back to the Cox's lines?

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
@Tommi Hazel and Katie. Hazel also has Jackpot in her. Her great grand paw is Ch. Jackpot! Money Money Money. Katie is out of Hazel. I forgot about the coat. Here is a place that has excellent coats and they fit well. Check out Foggy Mountain dog Coats, you can buy them from True Fit Dog Coats, on the web. Great quality also. Here is Hazel sporting here coat.

IMAG1646.jpg

She didn't like the coat at first, but they get used to it.

Last edited:

Mavis

Reaction score
OMG, I love Tommie!!! (I appreciate all the colors, but I love the blacks!). He is a doll - you have to be over the moon for him! Welcome; we got Bambi as a 3-year old and we didn't get pet insurance, so it is interesting to read what folks think about it.