Homemade food?

eeturk

Reaction score
When I first got Hudson he was on some big brand (I think purina?) puppy food. I immediately switched him off it and onto Fromm puppy. He was always itchy and had a lot of digestive issues on that food, and I continued to try new kibbles. He just never had firm stool and had a lot of gas, so I put him on the grain free fresh pet select refrigerated log food. He went from not wanting to eat to begging for food, and he had firm stool, no farting, and no itching almost immediately. However, it is incredibly expensive to feed him this stuff.

I tried to switch him over to a grain free kibble, but he immediately had horrible issues, even with the slow transition. I've decided I'm going to make his food now. I purchased several supplements for dogs and they finally arrived today.

Does anyone have any advice for switching them over to homemade? I've done a lot of research but I just want to make sure I have my ducks in a row! Thank you!

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't do homemade but I do give Jax a probiotic every morning which has significantly helped with the gas issues.

eeturk

Reaction score
Hudson literally has not had any gas since switching off of kibble.

MaplesMommy

Reaction score
I feed a raw diet to Maple.
In my eyes its the best thing for us to do. Get them off the junk food.
Anyways. So I feed raw meat. I also feed quinoa and chia seeds. Then twice a week a table spoon of coconut oil.
My pup gets dehydrated Lamb Lung and Honey Beefers(dehydrated beef with honey) as treats. Also some banana or carrot on the ocassion. Once a week I feed a whole,raw egg.Only feed it with shell if you're certain its from an organic farmer who doesnt spray the shells though.
I now know exactly what my dog is eating.

Alice Kable

Reaction score
I only home cook when my boys need a bland diet. Make sure you include a good multi- vitamin.

RFK

Reaction score
I have been feeding homemade raw for 3 years and all the issues I had stopped the day I began feeding raw. As for the switch, I would say just start feeding the new diet and see how it goes. There may be some adjustments that his system has to make to cope with the new diet but if your recipe is sound, he should adjust fairly quickly.
I make 2 months worth and freeze it in ziplock containers. My girl licks the bowl clean at every feeding and has never been better. Coconut oil, apple cider vinegar, kelp powder, alfalfa powder, and gloucosamine powder are the main additives in my diet. Fruits, veggies, meat, organs, Hard boiled eggs(w/shells),etc... all goes through the grinder and makes an slurry which is easy to store and easy to spoon into the bowl. Feeding raw is mostly about making it as convenient for you as possible so you can keep up with it and feeding a consistent mixture to your pooch.