Major disagreement with vet - what would you do?

Mavis

Reaction score
I am coming in on this very late. I live in a pretty large city with tons of vets. Took Bambi to a vet practice after we first got her that was in one of the pricier suburbs. Vet asked me what we were feeding and I told him (Acana or maybe Taste of the Wild). He was a young guy and outright told us that we were wasting our money feeding "premium" food and he and most everyone at the vet's fed their dogs a major grocery store brand of food.

Now, yes I agree that vets go to school for many years and are very learned - however, just like with people, what is considered "food" is a huge spectrum. There is good and bad. I don't know anything about raw, so I can't speak to that. You can't tell me that raw or premium food is basically the same as this other junk that is made up of pieces parts and god knows what else. It is well proven that people can survive on a diet of solely junk food - but it ultimately is detrimental to optimum health and not good for them in the long run. Same with pets.

As for this vet, I'd dust him just for the way he spoke to you. This should be a relationship; as an adult who is trying to do the best thing for my pet, I am not going to pay to be spoken to like this - or treated like I am some ignoramous who hasn't done their homework. There are plenty of other choices of vets to patronize who respect me and want the best for my pet.

Good luck.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
I am coming in on this very late. I live in a pretty large city with tons of vets. Took Bambi to a vet practice after we first got her that was in one of the pricier suburbs. Vet asked me what we were feeding and I told him (Acana or maybe Taste of the Wild). He was a young guy and outright told us that we were wasting our money feeding "premium" food and he and most everyone at the vet's fed their dogs a major grocery store brand of food.

Now, yes I agree that vets go to school for many years and are very learned - however, just like with people, what is considered "food" is a huge spectrum. There is good and bad. I don't know anything about raw, so I can't speak to that. You can't tell me that raw or premium food is basically the same as this other junk that is made up of pieces parts and god knows what else. It is well proven that people can survive on a diet of solely junk food - but it ultimately is detrimental to optimum health and not good for them in the long run. Same with pets.

As for this vet, I'd dust him just for the way he spoke to you. This should be a relationship; as an adult who is trying to do the best thing for my pet, I am not going to pay to be spoken to like this - or treated like I am some ignoramous who hasn't done their homework. There are plenty of other choices of vets to patronize who respect me and want the best for my pet.

Good luck.

Well stated!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FroxerMom

Reaction score
Sorry to hear this and that he is so narrow minded. Most vets don't know about good nutrition and that's why they sell the crap they do, plus the kick backs. Definitely would find another vet though.

Hello,
He is very narrow minded, indeed. He absolutely must get kickbacks. The vet slammed dog nutritionists as well as crazy people pushing a fad method of feeding. I just paid my bill and left. I will be going into the office this week to request copies of all my pets' paperwork to take elsewhere. Thank you :)

FroxerMom

Reaction score

Good luck.

I agree. That was a great analogy.

I've been talking to a friend this weeked and she says her vet is great and will be supportive of raw and/or more holistic practices. And she's right down the street, so this has me feeling much better than I was on Friday. Thanks for your input!

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
I agree. That was a great analogy.

I've been talking to a friend this weeked and she says her vet is great and will be supportive of raw and/or more holistic practices. And she's right down the street, so this has me feeling much better than I was on Friday. Thanks for your input!

Fantastic!! Good luck and please keep us posted!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mavis

Reaction score
This guy has major anger issues that are about something else (miserable marriage, small weinie snydrome, Napoleon complex?). :haha: Why would he object so strongly to people wanting the best for their pets and researching all different options?

Frenchie Grrrl

Reaction score
I'm curious to know if he fires cat owners who have indoor/outdoor cats. Most assuredly, a good majority are on a self serve raw supplimented diet. :tongue:

FroxerMom

Reaction score
I'm curious to know if he fires cat owners who have indoor/outdoor cats. Most assuredly, a good majority are on a self serve raw supplimented diet. :tongue:

Good point!

He DOES ask at your well check visit, if your cat is exclusively indoor, a combo, or outdoor only because he doesn't do all vaccines/testing for indoor only cats.

Dang, if only I'd have thought to ask this while at the appointment!!!

Squishy Walnuts

Reaction score
I'm late to the party but am very glad you are moving on to an open minded vet that's not just looking for kickbacks from the crap food they sell. You can't get an infection with freeze dried raw, it's just silly to say so.

It's one thing to disagree but it's entirely another to treat you that way he did. That was completely unprofessional. Your cats are beautiful btw!

FroxerMom

Reaction score
UPDATE 6/28/18:

Just an update for anyone who may have been reading this thread...I went today to the vet practice a few streets over that my friend uses and speaks very highly of. Super clean, huge office, and I was greeted by several different people. I got all kinds of info while there about boarding, daycare, exams, views on raw feeding. A tech walking by said that they have several clients that feed frozen raw food and that it would be fine. I gave them all my information, so this will be my new vet office; however, I asked them to please not call to have the three pets' records faxed over. I am going to go in on Monday when I know my former vet has off, and ask for my records and explain why I am leaving after 12 years, if they ask. I think it'll be better that way, than if they just get a call out of the blue asking to fax records over, because I honestly feel like Dr. M thinks he "set me straight" and that I'd give up raw feeding in order to continue going to his practice. I don't want him to call me at home later in the week, so I am hoping that if I provide the reason and go on a day he's not there, he'll just let it be.

This has been on my mind and I've been dreading it, but it has to be done!

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
UPDATE 6/28/18:

Just an update for anyone who may have been reading this thread...I went today to the vet practice a few streets over that my friend uses and speaks very highly of. Super clean, huge office, and I was greeted by several different people. I got all kinds of info while there about boarding, daycare, exams, views on raw feeding. A tech walking by said that they have several clients that feed frozen raw food and that it would be fine. I gave them all my information, so this will be my new vet office; however, I asked them to please not call to have the three pets' records faxed over. I am going to go in on Monday when I know my former vet has off, and ask for my records and explain why I am leaving after 12 years, if they ask. I think it'll be better that way, then if they just get a call out of the blue asking to fax records over, because I honestly feel like Dr. M thinks he "set me straight" and that I'd give up raw feeding in order to continue going to his practice. I don't want him to call me at home later in the week, so I am hoping that if I provide the reason and go on a day he's not there, he'll just let it be.

Best of luck --- we are all with you in spirit!

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Good luck! Hopefully they don't give you any problems and if they do, just more reason you should leave.

Frenchie Grrrl

Reaction score
I think it's definitely the right choice. Hope it all goes smoothly and you don't get any more flack. I admire you for making the reason why you are leaving known. It will probably be uncomfortable, but worth it in the end.

Frenchie Fanatic

Reaction score
UPDATE 6/28/18:

Just an update for anyone who may have been reading this thread...I went today to the vet practice a few streets over that my friend uses and speaks very highly of. Super clean, huge office, and I was greeted by several different people. I got all kinds of info while there about boarding, daycare, exams, views on raw feeding. A tech walking by said that they have several clients that feed frozen raw food and that it would be fine. I gave them all my information, so this will be my new vet office; however, I asked them to please not call to have the three pets' records faxed over. I am going to go in on Monday when I know my former vet has off, and ask for my records and explain why I am leaving after 12 years, if they ask. I think it'll be better that way, than if they just get a call out of the blue asking to fax records over, because I honestly feel like Dr. M thinks he "set me straight" and that I'd give up raw feeding in order to continue going to his practice. I don't want him to call me at home later in the week, so I am hoping that if I provide the reason and go on a day he's not there, he'll just let it be.

Hi Froxermom,
we went through a situation with our vet a few years back.
Our primary vet who owned the practice retired. We had been going there for years.
We did not feel as confident with his partner who bought the practice.
We found our current vet who specializes in Brachy dogs, met with her and decided to make the move.
I made an appointment to meet with our vet.
I started out by thanking him and his staff for all they had done for our guys.
I then told him we were going to try out another vet that was closer to home for us (truthfully is) for awhile.
It appears as though your new vet is close to where you live also. A nice plus. :)
I did not mention our lack of confidence or that the new vet specializes in brachy dogs.
There was no need. That would accomplish nothing and put him on the defensive.
I complimented his staff, picked up our dogs' records, thanked the staff, and went on my way.
In essence, the "Sandwich technique".
I kept it positive and it went very well. he said that they are always there for us if we should need them.
Granted, I didn't have the situation that you did, but it is possible to maintain civility.

It sounds like you will be very happy with your new vet!! :yes:
Good luck to you!! :)

By the way, we love our vet!!
Things happen for a reason.

FroxerMom

Reaction score
I think it's definitely the right choice. Hope it all goes smoothly and you don't get any more flack. I admire you for making the reason why you are leaving known. It will probably be uncomfortable, but worth it in the end.

Thanks Frenchie Grrrl. I tend to hold everything in for as long as I can in my life, and then I blow....NOT good for many reasons! I'm definitely going to avoid confrontation and keep it simple!

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Froxermom,
we went through a situation with our vet a few years back.
Our primary vet who owned the practice retired. We had been going there for years.
We did not feel as confident with his partner who bought the practice.
We found our current vet who specializes in Brachy dogs, met with her and decided to make the move.
I made an appointment to meet with our vet.
I started out by thanking him and his staff for all they had done for our guys.
I then told him we were going to try out another vet that was closer to home for us (truthfully is) for awhile.
It appears as though your new vet is close to where you live also. A nice plus. :)
I did not mention our lack of confidence or that the new vet specializes in brachy dogs.
There was no need. That would accomplish nothing and put him on the defensive.
I complimented his staff, picked up our dogs' records, thanked the staff, and went on my way.
In essence, the "Sandwich technique".
I kept it positive and it went very well. he said that they are always there for us if we should need them.
Granted, I didn't have the situation that you did, but it is possible to maintain civility.

It sounds like you will be very happy with your new vet!! :yes:
Good luck to you!! :)

By the way, we love our vet!!
Things happen for a reason.

That's some super sound and positive advice. I will take it. My plan is to go in and really keep it simple. Just say I have moved and am going to see a closer vet who supports raw feeding and leave it at that! Thanks!

🆕 Latest posts