New worried frenchie mom

EmmiRaesMom

Reaction score
So we received our frenchie last Saturday and I understand she is adjusting but she seems to be adapting well besides her eating! It's terrible. We are feeding her purina focus puppy. She walks up sniffs and walks away. I have tried everything from adding a tablespoon of wet and still refuses. She ate a few mouthfuls of wet food yesterday at 5:30 so I thought by 6 am today she would be starving and nope. She ended up throwing up bile from her stomach being empty. I boiled her chicken and rice and she only ate the chicken. I just got maybe 1/3 cup of the dry into her today but that's been it. She will be 13 weeks Tuesday and weighs 7.5 lbs but at the rate she is eating I'm worried she is going to lose it quickly. She did have her vaccine last Tuesday also. I'm so worried! I also gave her a tiny bit of nutrical puppy..the breeder recommended that.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
I would switch to a better quality food.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EmmiRaesMom

Reaction score
I plan to put her on fresh food from Ollie but didn't think it was a good idea to switch her so soon with her still trying to adjust to her new home. I saw on dog food advisor the pro plan chicken and rice puppy is a 4.5 star food so I figured a few weeks on it wouldn't hurt until she got used to her new home. She gave the breeder 0 problems eating..she is playing non stop..extremely active!!! She ate for me tonight but I have to grind her food up into almost a powder with tiny pieces of boiled chicken mixed in.

mattcantwin

Reaction score
I'm not the "food guy" here; I'm sure other members will supply solid advice on feeding; hope things improve soon.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
I plan to put her on fresh food from Ollie but didn't think it was a good idea to switch her so soon with her still trying to adjust to her new home. I saw on dog food advisor the pro plan chicken and rice puppy is a 4.5 star food so I figured a few weeks on it wouldn't hurt until she got used to her new home. She gave the breeder 0 problems eating..she is playing non stop..extremely active!!! She ate for me tonight but I have to grind her food up into almost a powder with tiny pieces of boiled chicken mixed in.

Welcome! You do not want to change too much at this time, she may just be trying to adjust to her new home without her litter mates.

Purina is not a really good food... lots of grains and fillers. When you are ready to switch and not wanting to go raw, here are some great kibbles.

Earthborn Holistic
Fromm
Zingnature
Farmina
Acana

No particular order, but many have great results with these brands

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
I agree with others. Might be too many changes. But she does need to eat, so keep doing what you are doing for now. I would also change foods. [MENTION=2]2bullymama[/MENTION] gave you some good food choices. I say if it has corn in it, put it back on the shelf. You can add a little goats milk to her food to help her want to eat. Goats milk is good for them. Cows milk and upset their tummies.

EmmiRaesMom

Reaction score
Well she is eating but the only way she will touch it is if I use a mallet and pound the dry until it is almost powder and then crumble a tiny bit of boiled chicken on top. Long as she can smell the chicken she will eat it. She has gained 14 ozs in 8 days. Is that a lot?? The bag says she should get a cup a day and the breeder free fed her but she will not touch it when left out so it's hard for me to free feed her with the way I have to feed her now. I am clueless if I am overfeeding her but she pooped 5 times today which seems a lot? It's been years since I had a puppy. Also, does anyone have any insight on Ollie fresh food?

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Well she is eating but the only way she will touch it is if I use a mallet and pound the dry until it is almost powder and then crumble a tiny bit of boiled chicken on top. Long as she can smell the chicken she will eat it. She has gained 14 ozs in 8 days. Is that a lot?? The bag says she should get a cup a day and the breeder free fed her but she will not touch it when left out so it's hard for me to free feed her with the way I have to feed her now. I am clueless if I am overfeeding her but she pooped 5 times today which seems a lot? It's been years since I had a puppy. Also, does anyone have any insight on Ollie fresh food?

Try adding a little water to her food. I have no info on Ollie food... is it raw?

EmmiRaesMom

Reaction score
Try adding a little water to her food. I have no info on Ollie food... is it raw?

I add just a bit of water because apparently if I add too much little miss picky will not eat it lol. Should I be letting her eat as much as she wants each times she eats? Ollie is a company that is basically home cooked food or as they say lightly cooked.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
I add just a bit of water because apparently if I add too much little miss picky will not eat it lol. Should I be letting her eat as much as she wants each times she eats? Ollie is a company that is basically home cooked food or as they say lightly cooked.

This article might help... has a chart for feeding guides

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

natsbris

Reaction score
I know this may sound strange but I had the same issue with my guy when I brought him home and he just didn't like eating out of a bowl. I put his food on a plate and that did the trick! How are you feeding her?