Phlegm is thick and she struggles

Ilvsantana

Reaction score
She had stenotic nares 3 weeks ago and has been fine. Today she struggling to rest because the phlegm is so thick.
Ive tried the squirt of lemon juice, Im attempting to gentle but firmly pat on her chest to loosen it, ive had her in the bathroom for a steam bath for 5 minutes but, I cant see the vet til thursday and would like to know if anyone has some advice

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
You could try Benadryl (not children's formula) to see if it helps clear it a bit. 1 mg per pound 2 or 3 times a day

Ilvsantana

Reaction score
You could try Benadryl (not children's formula) to see if it helps clear it a bit. 1 mg per pound 2 or 3 times a day
We saw the vet and she says "the only thing that can be done is a surgery to alter her palete" Well she had 2 surgeries recently; nare and spay so they dont recommend surgery right now. I know I have never owned a frenchie, and he made me feel like i was overreacting but, truth is she does have a build up of phlegm that she is struggling with. Its hard to watch her struggle. Ive done all the suggested stuff and nothing is working. Benadryl isnt working, steam baths work a little, her diet is limited to fresh pet, and veges ( carrots and green beans, and she has Greek yogurt and blueberries.
I dont know how to help her

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
We saw the vet and she says "the only thing that can be done is a surgery to alter her palete" Well she had 2 surgeries recently; nare and spay so they dont recommend surgery right now. I know I have never owned a frenchie, and he made me feel like i was overreacting but, truth is she does have a build up of phlegm that she is struggling with. Its hard to watch her struggle. Ive done all the suggested stuff and nothing is working. Benadryl isnt working, steam baths work a little, her diet is limited to fresh pet, and veges ( carrots and green beans, and she has Greek yogurt and blueberries.
I dont know how to help her
If the vet did her Nate’s why did he not check her palate at that time…. So sorry this is happening

Ilvsantana

Reaction score
If the vet did her Nate’s why did he not check her palate at that time…. So sorry this is happening
I have only been her mommy for about 2 months, and did not own her at the time of nares surgery. Since then my vet has taken her care over and informed me that she needs palate surgery but wants to wait because she thinks that the spay surgery and nare surgery was to recent. I feel so helpless when the phlegm gets too much and she looks at me and besides steam baths and coupage, theres nothing I can do for her. Benydrel, honey, lemon juice, doesnt help her. Ive tried to log the episodes when its the worse but theres no pattern. If she would just cough it up, she would feel better but she swallows the phlegm. I want to help her.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
I have only been her mommy for about 2 months, and did not own her at the time of nares surgery. Since then my vet has taken her care over and informed me that she needs palate surgery but wants to wait because she thinks that the spay surgery and nare surgery was to recent. I feel so helpless when the phlegm gets too much and she looks at me and besides steam baths and coupage, theres nothing I can do for her. Benydrel, honey, lemon juice, doesnt help her. Ive tried to log the episodes when its the worse but theres no pattern. If she would just cough it up, she would feel better but she swallows the phlegm. I want to help her.
You’re doing your best… ask your vet when he thinks is a good time for palate surgery. I’ll keep your baby in my prayers

🆕 Latest posts