Red itchy skin - 15 week old male Frenchie

gusblake

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've turned to this forum for help! I've had my Frenchie Hugo since birth and he's in perfect health condition other than his skin. Within the last week he's been itching constantly and nearly always on his ribs.

His groin, tummy and neck are red and sore, with what appears to be blotchy marks. I've tried soothing anti-itch rubs, de-flea/tick, but doesn't seem to improve his condition.

I feed him a fresh food diet, which consists of this twice a day (which he has had since he started on solids)
Approx 150g roasted sweet potato
Approx 30g steamed broccoli
Approx 125g of roasted skinless chicken thigh
1 TBSP olive oil
Sprinkles of tumeric
1 Fish Oil capsule all mixed in
No treats.

I'm at a loose end here as to what to do, has anyone experienced a similar issue with a french bulldog and if so, how did you solve it? I am hesitant to go to the vet due to very high bills and diagnosis could take a while. I've attached a picture for reference for you all to look at.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_5694.jpg
    IMG_5694.jpg
    395.1 KB · Views: 132

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've turned to this forum for help! I've had my Frenchie Hugo since birth and he's in perfect health condition other than his skin. Within the last week he's been itching constantly and nearly always on his ribs.

His groin, tummy and neck are red and sore, with what appears to be blotchy marks. I've tried soothing anti-itch rubs, de-flea/tick, but doesn't seem to improve his condition.

I feed him a fresh food diet, which consists of this twice a day (which he has had since he started on solids)
Approx 150g roasted sweet potato
Approx 30g steamed broccoli
Approx 125g of roasted skinless chicken thigh
1 TBSP olive oil
Sprinkles of tumeric
1 Fish Oil capsule all mixed in
No treats.

I'm at a loose end here as to what to do, has anyone experienced a similar issue with a french bulldog and if so, how did you solve it? I am hesitant to go to the vet due to very high bills and diagnosis could take a while. I've attached a picture for reference for you all to look at.

Thanks!

It could be environmental allergies... try wiping him with a cool cloth cater being outside. Also, could be rug or cleaner in the home

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Honeys Owners

Reaction score
He could be an allergenic dog , and his saving grace was that allergies don't usualy start up until 4months of age.

I would recommend getting him off chicken, since a lot of bullies are allergic to chicken. Also, muscle meat is not recommended as a sole source of protein, it should be 80% muscle meat, 10% bone and 10% organs with half of that being liver. Or if you prefer BARF diet, then 70% muscle meat,10% bones,10% organs (liver being half),10% fruits, veggies and/or dairy. Easiest way to get a balanced diet would be to buy a commercial frozen raw diet.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
I agree...get him off the chicken. And as stated, you need to add in bone and organs. I feed a commercial raw frozen so I don't have to figure out the proper ratios and balance it out.

Also, you can wipe his underside with chlorhexidine wipes or dilute a little povidone iodine with water until the color of iced tea and then get some cotton balls and wipe him and then rub on some coconut oil. I used to do that when Jax would break out like your guy.

Honeys Owners

Reaction score
You can also give him a antihistamine-cetirizine (Zyrtec) 5-10 mg daily, or diphenhydramine 1mg/pound 2-3 times daily, till hives go away.If you buy diphenhydramine, make sure it just contains diphenhydramine, and no xylitol if in liquid form.

gusblake

Reaction score
Thanks all for your amazing, informative replies.