skin help

joedrummer001

Reaction score
hi my frenchie has been scratching his face and body and licking his paws a lot becoming red. we clean him and give him oatmeal baths and he is fine for a few days then goes back to it. he is on Fromm heartland gold grain free. I am at the point now thinking he has either allergies and/or needs a supplement. I've read that fish oil can help but i see the Nuvet plus k9 wafers do not have fish oil? so now I'm a bit confused this product seems to have fish oil and good reviews https://www.amazon.com/Skin-Coat-Sup.../dp/B00AKYZDGC thanks for your help.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
hi my frenchie has been scratching his face and body and licking his paws a lot becoming red. we clean him and give him oatmeal baths and he is fine for a few days then goes back to it. he is on Fromm heartland gold grain free. I am at the point now thinking he has either allergies and/or needs a supplement. I've read that fish oil can help but i see the Nuvet plus k9 wafers do not have fish oil? so now I'm a bit confused this product seems to have fish oil and good reviews https://www.amazon.com/Skin-Coat-Sup.../dp/B00AKYZDGC thanks for your help.

Can you post a picture? Also if a yeast issue the oatmeal can make it worse.

How old and which protein of heartland red meat?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, please post a picture. It is possible the oatmeal shampoo is making matters worse. I like to use a medicated shampoo like Ketohex or Chlorohexidine. They are both good for skin issues. I would probably also change to a single protein kibble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honeys Owners

Reaction score
i would try switching him to limited ingredient dehydrated raw dog food over a week- eg. Honest Kitchen Spruce ( duck ) or Marvel ( turkey ) . Also try giving him an antihistamine like cetirizine 0.5 mg/pound once daily. Also mix in his food some turmeric with ground pepper, and virgin organic coconut oil to help with allergies. I would hold off on the salmon oil until you have his allergies under control, just in case he has an allergy to salmon.

joedrummer001

Reaction score
ok thanks for the advice yes the fromm is red meat protein his paws are not flared up at the moment so can not get and pics it normally happens when he licks his paws for a long time. whats a good shampoo to use right now im more concerned with him scratching at his face. also know its not yeast hes been to the vet and we clean him with wipes from the vet.oh he is 3 years old

Honeys Owners

Reaction score
Ketohex and Curaseb are examples of good shampoos, since they contain chlorhexidine and ketoconazole. Wash out his wrinkles on his face and his paws with it once a day until his itching is under control.

However, the long term fix is to switch his food, to dehydrated raw or frozen raw, and give an antihistamine. If he is still having major allergy problems after all that, he may need to get Cytopoint injections from the vet.