Swollen face and neck

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Update: This is so frustrating. We cancelled her appointment which was scheduled for later in the afternoon because the swelling went down as did the fetid smell! We have rescheduled her for a non urgent care appointment.
Her breath smelled like purification and infection it was horrible! Not normal bad dog breath, I couldn’t even hold her it was so bad. Then her symptoms just 90% went away. She’s done this to an even greater extent twice before when in the morning she presented as PARALYSED in her back legs! Symptoms did persist to the vet who rxed gabapentin and she was running around within a couple hours! These little dogs can be an enigma. Lord give me strength!
Keep us posted!

Flombee

Reaction score
On the day we canceled her urgent care appointment we got some pictures of inside her mouth that I’ll post here.

Attachments

• IMG_1110.jpeg
    IMG_1110.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1122.jpeg
    IMG_1122.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 7

Flombee

Reaction score
Is that an epulis? Has that been there or you just discovered it?
I don’t know. It’s on the inside of her check not on the gums. We are getting a second opinion the day after tomorrow so I will ask. Right now I’m still leaning towards a salivary gland issue but the first vet has no idea we’ll see if the second vet is any better.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
I don’t know. It’s on the inside of her check not on the gums. We are getting a second opinion the day after tomorrow so I will ask. Right now I’m still leaning towards a salivary gland issue but the first vet has no idea we’ll see if the second vet is any better.
It always irks me to hear of vets having no idea what is going on. A vet that is familiar with brachy breeds is crucial. Good on getting a second opinion and hopefully you can get some answers this time. Let us know how the appointment goes.

Flombee

Reaction score
To be fair they wanted to knock her out so they could examine her better which since everything seems to be in hand for the moment we decided to not do for now due to associated risks. They are going to remove a mass on our other dog an 11yo white boxer which I won’t get into because reasons. Lots going on sigh

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh my... good luck with the second opinion. And, your boxer --- sending you lots of prayers

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Sending positive thoughts and good vibes to your Boxer.

Flombee

Reaction score
Rosie had her second opinion appointment this morning and was given baytril an antibiotic. This vet thinks it’s a foreign body causing infection. I sure hope he’s right because if he is we can clear it up and put this behind us. Should know by early next week

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Rosie had her second opinion appointment this morning and was given baytril an antibiotic. This vet thinks it’s a foreign body causing infection. I sure hope he’s right because if he is we can clear it up and put this behind us. Should know by early next week
🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

Flombee

Reaction score
The baytril was effective. Swelling went down within a few days. Now we just hope it doesn’t come back like before. I’m going to be optimistic and hope this is my last update on this issue. I think if I learned one thing from this it would be don’t hesitate to get a second opinion. Thanks to all who sent prayers & well wishes our way!

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
The baytril was effective. Swelling went down within a few days. Now we just hope it doesn’t come back like before. I’m going to be optimistic and hope this is my last update on this issue. I think if I learned one thing from this it would be don’t hesitate to get a second opinion. Thanks to all who sent prayers & well wishes our way!
That is great news! Fingers crossed that it doesn't come back.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Continued prayers! Keep us posted

Flombee

Reaction score
Ok I didn’t expect to be making any more updates here and certainly not this soon but we got a clue today! Both dogs were very interested in something on the floor today and we found this! Looks like our little girl lost a tooth. She’s almost 5 so I don’t know if this is an adult tooth or a puppy tooth that never fell out because it’s very small. I’ll post back after talking to our vet

Attachments

• IMG_6254.jpeg
    IMG_6254.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_6253.jpeg
    IMG_6253.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 3

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok I didn’t expect to be making any more updates here and certainly not this soon but we got a clue today! Both dogs were very interested in something on the floor today and we found this! Looks like our little girl lost a tooth. She’s almost 5 so I don’t know if this is an adult tooth or a puppy tooth that never fell out because it’s very small. I’ll post back after talking to our vet
WHAT!?? CRAZY!!

This sort of happened to Cheli like three months ago (by the way - he is 12) , but he had no swelling at all... we found the tooth on the floor and took it to our vet to see which pp it came from.... it was a far back tooth that they said isn't really needed and serves no purpose but what the heck... it just falls out

🆕 Latest posts