The pickiest eater ever... AH

Carlsmom

Reaction score
Hey all,

Carlton has always been a picky eater, but as of late I can't get him to touch his kibble for the LIFE of me. He does experience allergies, but we have found that duck and salmon seems to be a safe bet with him. However,lately he has been licking his paws a ton and they are much more red/irritated then usually soooo I am not sure if this is causing his lack of interest in food. He currently eats the Open Farm Salmon Kibble with the Stella and Chewy freeze dried duck on top. I've tried getting the Open Farm wet topper and even tried mixing it with some goats milk with apples, etc. No luck what so ever.

In the past we have fed raw, but with two Frenchies it got to be pricey and we went with a quality kibble. We have also tried honest kitchen, Acana, Stella and Chewy kibble but within a short period of time he refuses to eat it.

I understand he will get hungry enough that he will eat, but its been about 2 days where he hasn't touched his food and I am starting to feel bad! He is acting fine otherwise, except the sore paws.

Any suggestions? Thanks and happy holidays!!

Alice Kable

Reaction score
I'd try adding a topper like a spoon of canned dog food, gravy, small pieces of meat, etc.

Honeys Owners

Reaction score
Hey all,

Carlton has always been a picky eater, but as of late I can't get him to touch his kibble for the LIFE of me. He does experience allergies, but we have found that duck and salmon seems to be a safe bet with him. However,lately he has been licking his paws a ton and they are much more red/irritated then usually soooo I am not sure if this is causing his lack of interest in food. He currently eats the Open Farm Salmon Kibble with the Stella and Chewy freeze dried duck on top. I've tried getting the Open Farm wet topper and even tried mixing it with some goats milk with apples, etc. No luck what so ever.

In the past we have fed raw, but with two Frenchies it got to be pricey and we went with a quality kibble. We have also tried honest kitchen, Acana, Stella and Chewy kibble but within a short period of time he refuses to eat it.

I understand he will get hungry enough that he will eat, but its been about 2 days where he hasn't touched his food and I am starting to feel bad! He is acting fine otherwise, except the sore paws.

Any suggestions? Thanks and happy holidays!!

There's some really good quality food you can get in Canada, even cheaper and better than in USA. If you live in Ontario you can order frozen raw with free delivery for orders over 150.00 from Big Country Raw. They have 15% bone content so it's a bit more constipating and you might need to give canned pumpkin as well. Or you can get dehydrated raw kibble quite inexpensively - Canisource Grand Cru. Or if you want plain baked kibble, the best quality dog kibble in North America is made in Canada- Carna4 duck. Also you can buy Only Natural EasyRaw dehydrated raw powder from Petsmart when Petsmart has specials.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
How long have you tried eat food?

If licking paws could he have environmental allergies? If he does that could limit his appetite... have you thought about giving a benedryl to see if it stops the licking?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carlsmom

Reaction score
There's some really good quality food you can get in Canada, even cheaper and better than in USA. If you live in Ontario you can order frozen raw with free delivery for orders over 150.00 from Big Country Raw. They have 15% bone content so it's a bit more constipating and you might need to give canned pumpkin as well. Or you can get dehydrated raw kibble quite inexpensively - Canisource Grand Cru. Or if you want plain baked kibble, the best quality dog kibble in North America is made in Canada- Carna4 duck. Also you can buy Only Natural EasyRaw dehydrated raw powder from Petsmart when Petsmart has specials.

Unfortunately I am in Alberta, so I'm not sure this is an option for us. But I will look into it! Thanks :)

Carlsmom

Reaction score
How long have you tried eat food?

If licking paws could he have environmental allergies? If he does that could limit his appetite... have you thought about giving a benedryl to see if it stops the licking?

He was on raw long-term, but in terms of his kibble he usually gets sick of it after about 6 months. We have tried rotating proteins within the same brand but his allergies flare up, so we stick to what works..

The next step was attempting some Benadryl - do you know the appropriate dosage or is that a question for the vet?

Thanks!!

Honeys Owners

Reaction score
You can give your dog Benadryl 1 mg per pound 2-3 times per day.

I'm not sure which are the best raw dog food suppliers in Alberta.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
He was on raw long-term, but in terms of his kibble he usually gets sick of it after about 6 months. We have tried rotating proteins within the same brand but his allergies flare up, so we stick to what works..

The next step was attempting some Benadryl - do you know the appropriate dosage or is that a question for the vet?

Thanks!!

As Honey owners stated... Benedryl is 1 mg per pound up to 3x a day