HELP! My 1 year old Frenchie are 5 cubes of raw salmon!

Lilpoole

Reaction score
Oh my god Iā€™m in absolute bits, canā€™t stop crying. I had chopped up some raw salmon into cubes and left it on the table outside as was going to bbq them, when I came back out he had eaten them. He is on a raw diet, I use Able raw food, he loves it. But I just read some horrific things about raw salmon. Iā€™m in such a panic, it says online that raw salmon ( not previously frozen) is fatal to dogs and can cause such terrible symptoms and death being the most common! I spoke to the vet and they said that he is up to date with his worming which is good and just to keep an eye on him. Symptoms start to show 4-6 days after eating it. Iā€™m not going to sleep at all! Iā€™m so worried. Has anyoneā€™s dogs ever eaten raw salmon and had no bad symptoms of salmon poisoning? I need to hear some good news.
Thank you

Jeffc

Reaction score
Iā€™m so sorry this happened. I donā€™t have any experience with this thankfully, best of luck and I will be thinking of your puppy. Any chance you could get a second opinion from a different vet? Keep us posted and hang in there.

Lilpoole

Reaction score
Iā€™m so sorry this happened. I donā€™t have any experience with this thankfully, best of luck and I will be thinking of your puppy. Any chance you could get a second opinion from a different vet? Keep us posted and hang in there.

I got a second opinion and feel a bit better about it. He said farmed salmon from Norway, which is what it was, tend to be frozen before they hit the shelves in the supermarket so would have killed any parasites if it even had any. He said farmed salmon is approved by the food people for having no harmful parasites so he said not to worry, he shouldnā€™t show any symptoms. Iā€™m just hoping thatā€™s true! Keeping my fingers crossed. He is totally normal at the moment thank god

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
I got a second opinion and feel a bit better about it. He said farmed salmon from Norway, which is what it was, tend to be frozen before they hit the shelves in the supermarket so would have killed any parasites if it even had any. He said farmed salmon is approved by the food people for having no harmful parasites so he said not to worry, he shouldnā€™t show any symptoms. Iā€™m just hoping thatā€™s true! Keeping my fingers crossed. He is totally normal at the moment thank god

He should be fine... keep an eye for any changes, but I would think it will be all good.

Jeffc

Reaction score

This is great news. Hopefully everything will be just fine!

Lilpoole

Reaction score
Glad to hear all is well.

Thank you, Iā€™m just praying he stayā€™s well as they say it can take a week to show any symptoms, vomiting, temperature, Diarrhea, Stomach pain and god knows what else, canā€™t even bare to think about it.

Baer Rios

Reaction score
You shouldnt be worried at all as long as its farmed salmon. Im on a facebook raw page and lits of people feed raw salmon. The rule of thumb is to haVe it frozen if caught in the wild.

Lilpoole

Reaction score
You shouldnt be worried at all as long as its farmed salmon. Im on a facebook raw page and lits of people feed raw salmon. The rule of thumb is to haVe it frozen if caught in the wild.

Thatā€™s really put my mind at ease, thank you

FroxerMom

Reaction score
Yikes! How is he doing today? Any update? Lots of good, calming advice you received!

Lilpoole

Reaction score
Yikes! How is he doing today? Any update? Lots of good, calming advice you received!

Thank u for ur concern, he is absolutely normal, totally happy and no change in himself, I joined a raw food group on Facebook and a lot of People have said farmed salmon is ok so Iā€™m hoping thatā€™s true. Fingers crossed

Baer Rios

Reaction score
Thats great you joined a group. They are very helpful. Good to hear you guys are ��

šŸ†• Latest posts