What’s the best dry food for puppies?

JonDoe

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I recently adopted a beautiful French Bulldog puppy and I wanted to get some opinions on what food to feed. I’ve used Fromm on my other two frenchies and they seem to do okay on it sometimes they don’t seem interested in the food. I wanted to try something different for this new puppy, any recommend food brands that are premium for puppies please let me know, I want to get him bulky like his father.

GraciesMom

Reaction score
Hello JonDoe and welcome. I feed a raw diet to Gracie so I am not an expert on dry food. However, I have seen this topic come up before. If you type "kibble" into the search box you will see a thread from July of this year discussing this topic. I believe some other dry foods besides Fromm favored by the members here include Acana and Orijen. I'm sure some other members with a lot more experience than me will chime in. Looking forward to hearing more about your new addition. And, as you will soon discover, we love to see pictures.

Honeys Owners

Reaction score
As mentioned, Orijen puppy food is great. Another good one is Now Grain Free puppy. If you're in Canada, Carna4 duck kibble is great.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome! Others that are good are Zingnature and Earthborn Holistic

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

olouttt

Reaction score
You are never going to settle on “the best” if you rely on suggestions from here - almost everyone here is pretty sure they are feeding the best, whatever that means, lol: What is the best for one could be the pits for someone else. There is no way to tell in advance. Better read reviews here to do your own research and figure out what is good for you dog https://petdt.com/best-low-sodium-dog-food/

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
You are never going to settle on “the best” if you rely on suggestions from here - almost everyone here is pretty sure they are feeding the best, whatever that means, lol: What is the best for one could be the pits for someone else. There is no way to tell in advance. Better read reviews here to do your own research and figure out what is good for you dog https://petdt.com/best-low-sodium-dog-food/

Not quite sure what this comment is supposed to mean as all of the suggestions are just that...suggestions. We all recommend different brands based on what has worked for us and and I'm sure we all know that what works for one dog, may not work for another. Purina and Hills are listed in the link you provided and those two foods are not high quality. Quite frequently dogfoodadvisor.com is a website given to people so they can research different brands and their ratings.

Mechadogzilla

Reaction score
The site I usually use to initially check dog foods is https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com.

I would like to offer a follow up to my previous comment. Yesterday, I had a conversation with my vet regarding pet food. She had just returned from a conference on heart disease in dogs and relayed that she has noticed an upswing in heart problems. She stated that issue does not seem to be confined to taurine levels. It seems that choosing correct food these days is not very simple, nor does it seem that a consensus on causation has been reached. I am attaching one article that she recommended. It’s Not Just Grain-Free: An Update on Diet-Associated Dilated Cardiomyopathy – Clinical Nutrition Service at Cummings School

FroxerMom

Reaction score
I would like to offer a follow up to my previous comment. Yesterday, I had a conversation with my vet regarding pet food. She had just returned from a conference on heart disease in dogs and relayed that she has noticed an upswing in heart problems. She stated that issue does not seem to be confined to taurine levels. It seems that choosing correct food these days is not very simple, nor does it seem that a consensus on causation has been reached. I am attaching one article that she recommended. It’s Not Just Grain-Free: An Update on Diet-Associated Dilated Cardiomyopathy – Clinical Nutrition Service at Cummings School

My Boxer was diagnosed last month with Cardiomyopathy (ARVC) after he collapsed again and could not regain his composure for about half a minute. He is now on twice a day heart medication. He has been eating a high end grain- free kibble for years. I don't know enough about this recent research connecting the two, I've done a little reading about it but not a lot. Cardiomyopathy is VERY prevalent in Boxers anyway, so I'd imagine it would be harder to discern if it was the grain-free food or genetics in my dog's case.

Mechadogzilla

Reaction score
My Boxer was diagnosed last month with Cardiomyopathy (ARVC) after he collapsed again and could not regain his composure for about half a minute. He is now on twice a day heart medication. He has been eating a high end grain- free kibble for years. I don't know enough about this recent research connecting the two, I've done a little reading about it but not a lot. Cardiomyopathy is VERY prevalent in Boxers anyway, so I'd imagine it would be harder to discern if it was the grain-free food or genetics in my dog's case.

I am sorry to hear that. Wishing a full recovery for Sox. It seems very difficult to make a good decision regarding food these days as even expert opinions are all over the place.

FroxerMom

Reaction score
Thank you! He is doing well on the medication, but he will eventually succumb to heart failure if not something else. The vet said even on medication he can suddenly collapse and die (happened to my friend's Boxer - so sad). We are hoping that this medication will give him many more years with us, though.
[MENTION=3428]JonDoe[/MENTION] I have used and sometimes supplement with Acana brand food because they have a singles line with limited ingredients. I've noticed increased # of poops when on it but it is a great quality overall.

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
We use FROMM Puppy Gold in the pink bag and have always had good luck with it.