When to switch from puppy to adult food?

milano88

Reaction score
Hi Everyone

I wanted to get some advice on when to switch from puppy to adult food. My pup is almost 10 months now and she eats Artemis Puppy food. Her stools are very soft most of the time and she itches a bit so I think she might have one of the typlical Frenchie allergies. Unfortunately, there are no grain free puppy foods available where I live so I wanted to get her on an adult grain free food asap. I can get Fromm Surf & Turf, Salmon Tunalini and Game Bird so was planning to switch to these (any recs on which kind?).

My vet doesn't think the grains are an issue but I don't think he knows Frenchies very well. He isn't too concerned about the soft stools as long as she's eating well and everything else is ok. I sometimes add white rice and plain yogurt to her meals which help a little. He also said to wait a year before swtiching but that seems to be the standard answer.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
You can switch now, usually anytime after 8 months is OK..... I would strat with the Game Bird and see how he does. Great thing about the Fromm grain free line, you can switch flavors without transition :D

Good luck!

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Her stool might be soft if she is eating too much.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Her stool might be soft if she is eating too much.

Oooooo.... Good point!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
We switch them at 7 or 8 months of age.

milano88

Reaction score
How much is too much? Her puppy food says to feed 1.25-1.75 cups for her weight and my vet said 1.5 cups so she gets this split over 2 meals. I give her a tbsp of yogurt with breakfast but she usually doesn't finish it all maybe 2/3-3/4. For dinner I sometimes replace some of her kibble with equal parts rice if her stool was really soft. Throughout the day she gets on avg 3-4 small treats usually a pea size piece of a Zuke's fillet and 1 edible chew

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe just give a little less at each meal and see if that helps.

bullmama

Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe just give a little less at each meal and see if that helps.

I agree, even just a bit too much builds in the system over time and can cause loose stools. Try doing 1and 1/4 cup split over the two meals and see how the poo is in a few days. Hope it works!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk