4 month old puppy not eating his food

Cindylee38

Reaction score
Good afternoon. My 4.5 month old puppy Louis has gone from very quickly eating three meals a day to not wanting to eat int he mornings. After a lot of research I have been transitioning him from Blue Buffalo grain Free puppy food to Fromms Game Bird recipe with a freeze dried mix-in. At first he was loving the new food but now he is not eating like he used too. I know they don't need to eat three times per day after a certain age but I still feel his is a little young for this. He is my first Frenchie and I'm trying to do everything right for him.Louis pic.jpg

I appreciate any feedback:)

- - - Updated - - -

Just to clarify, I don't let him have a pacifier. He stole that from my niece and I snapped a quick picture because he looked so cute:)

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Good afternoon. My 4.5 month old puppy Louis has gone from very quickly eating three meals a day to not wanting to eat int he mornings. After a lot of research I have been transitioning him from Blue Buffalo grain Free puppy food to Fromms Game Bird recipe with a freeze dried mix-in. At first he was loving the new food but now he is not eating like he used too. I know they don't need to eat three times per day after a certain age but I still feel his is a little young for this. He is my first Frenchie and I'm trying to do everything right for him.View attachment 12917

I appreciate any feedback:)

- - - Updated - - -

Just to clarify, I don't let him have a pacifier. He stole that from my niece and I snapped a quick picture because he looked so cute:)

How much for each meal?

He is adorable... pacifier and all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alice Kable

Reaction score
Welcome to you and Louis! He is a handsome boy! We usually feed our pups 3X a day until they are 6 mos. but Louis may be telling you he doesn't need to eat that often or maybe it is just a stage he is going through. If he is energetic and pooping normally I would be pleased with him eating 2 meals a day!

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you:) I give him 1/2 cup of dry food three times per day.

Try cutting back on the amount at each meal or as Alice suggested, if he is poo fine and otherwise healthy, two meals a day might be all he needs

FroxerMom

Reaction score
1/2 cup 3 times a day seems like too much food in my opinion. Maybe try offering less. To give you some idea, my Frenchie is 2 years old, a little over 24 pounds and she eats a little over 8 ounces of food per day (split between 2 meals of 4 ounces each). She does get treats throughout the day as well and goat's milk yogurt. The manufacturer of your pet's food puts a suggested feeding guide on the bag; however, I've found that it isn't necessarily accurate. Age and activity level can affect how much the dog needs. Give us an update after a few days. Hopefully he starts eating his food again.

Cindylee38

Reaction score
Thank you all so much for your feedback, as a new frenchie mom I REALLY appreciate it. He has gone back to eating normally, three meals per day, however I have cut back his 1/2 cup portions a bit. He is very active and pooping normally so I feel that all is back normal now. If I could just get him to stop eating all of the wood in my house everything will be perfect:)