Annual Exam: Results

Mavis

Reaction score
Some of you may have already read it on facebook :
We recently went to the vet for Maple's anual exam and a titer test.
When the vet looked at her teeth he told me I did a good job on brushing her teeth daily. The truth is I have never brushed her teeth ever :D It comes from eating all natural and chewing on bones.
He gave her a perfect body score of 5 / 9. He said she is very healthy and well muscled :)
Then we ran a titer test for Distemper, Parvo and Hepatitis.
Maple has only had 2 vaccine shots when she was a puppy. The results are phenomenal : Her antiboties are very high. Parvo was a 5 (6 is the highest.), Distemper also a 5/6 and Hepatitis a 4/6.
I am so happy and proud :) I know her healthy lifestyle and an all natural,species appropiat diet play a big role :)
I also encourage everybody to titer their dogs before vaccinating!
I paid 40$ for the titer and it gives me the opportunity to protect my pup from an unnecessary immune supression.

What is titer? What is the secret to her clean teeth?

Congratulations; nothing so wonderful as knowing your baby is healthy and thriving.

MaplesMommy

Reaction score
What is titer? What is the secret to her clean teeth?

Congratulations; nothing so wonderful as knowing your baby is healthy and thriving.

A titer is a blood test that determines the antibody levels to certain diseases. Most Vaccinations usually last at least 3-5 years,so revaccinating each year is not only unnecessary but also potentially harmful. Therefore you can get a titer test done to be certain your dog wont need the 'yearly booster'. (Which in most cases they dont. Like I said Maple only had two shots as a puppy and is now 2 1/2 years and still protected.)

Her white teeth just come from chewing on raw bones and moose antlers. Plus she doesnt eat anything with tapioca,molasses or other ingredients that turn into sugar. :)

kpromero

Reaction score
Asked my vet about this and his response was "Sure we can do one, but it will cost you $300 with the rabies testing also".

MaplesMommy

Reaction score
Asked my vet about this and his response was "Sure we can do one, but it will cost you $300 with the rabies testing also".

Love these kind of 'vets'... The test kit itself costs maybe 20$, thats why most vets charge between 40$-60$. But of course they can charge however much they want; they can make more money with vaccinations...
Maybe ask him how much it'd be for just the Distemper/Parvo/Hepatitis Test. Maybe its the rabies kit that is so expensive.

kpromero

Reaction score
Love these kind of 'vets'... The test kit itself costs maybe 20$, thats why most vets charge between 40$-60$. But of course they can charge however much they want; they can make more money with vaccinations...
Maybe ask him how much it'd be for just the Distemper/Parvo/Hepatitis Test. Maybe its the rabies kit that is so expensive.

I want to say that one was $160 and the rabies was $140 or vice versa

MaplesMommy

Reaction score
Maple's Vitamin D results came back : She came in at a low 49.9 which is insufficient.(You want it to be between 100-145).
We are now supplementing with a non-synthetic D3 and will retest in a few weeks.
Unfortunately most of the dogs (and humans) nowaday will have a Vit D deficiency or at least wont be sufficient. And looking at the importance and the complex role Vit D plays,I can only recommend getting your dog tested.
Because too much Vit D can be toxic,you need to have the dog tested before you start supplementing.

Nu2frenchie

Reaction score
Maple's Vitamin D results came back : She came in at a low 49.9 which is insufficient.(You want it to be between 100-145).
We are now supplementing with a non-synthetic D3 and will retest in a few weeks.
Unfortunately most of the dogs (and humans) nowaday will have a Vit D deficiency or at least wont be sufficient. And looking at the importance and the complex role Vit D plays,I can only recommend getting your dog tested.
Because too much Vit D can be toxic,you need to have the dog tested before you start supplementing.
Crazy question but...Can dogs obtain sufficients amount of Vit D from the sun such as humans?

Bonus

Reaction score
I'm glad I read this post.

We discussed with our Vet about Bonus' future vaccination.. And they also agree on doing titer test instead of annual vaccination! But Bonus still needs to take rabies every year =)
We are in Toronto Canada

blushy

Reaction score

Well if Maple is low, there's a pretty high change mine are low! Since you are like the perfect example of a dog owner!

Your threads and posts make me want to spend so much money on my dogs!

Phew!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MaplesMommy

Reaction score
Well if Maple is low, there's a pretty high change mine are low! Since you are like the perfect example of a dog owner!

Your threads and posts make me want to spend so much money on my dogs!

Phew!

Aw,thank you :blush:

I think parts of it is because of my work and the people I work with and learn from. They are so knowledgable and passionate.
But I can tell you that my guy's live a much healthier lifestyle than myself lol
Most people are Vit D deficient as well. Have I gotten myself tested yet? Nope. But my dog has been and the cats are next. :D

blushy

Reaction score
Aw,thank you :blush:

I think parts of it is because of my work and the people I work with and learn from. They are so knowledgable and passionate.
But I can tell you that my guy's live a much healthier lifestyle than myself lol
Most people are Vit D deficient as well. Have I gotten myself tested yet? Nope. But my dog has been and the cats are next. :D

I'm deficient, 2,000 IU a day for me haha