Annual Exam: Results

MaplesMommy

Reaction score
Some of you may have already read it on facebook :
We recently went to the vet for Maple's anual exam and a titer test.
When the vet looked at her teeth he told me I did a good job on brushing her teeth daily. The truth is I have never brushed her teeth ever :D It comes from eating all natural and chewing on bones.
He gave her a perfect body score of 5 / 9. He said she is very healthy and well muscled :)
Then we ran a titer test for Distemper, Parvo and Hepatitis.
Maple has only had 2 vaccine shots when she was a puppy. The results are phenomenal : Her antiboties are very high. Parvo was a 5 (6 is the highest.), Distemper also a 5/6 and Hepatitis a 4/6.
I am so happy and proud :) I know her healthy lifestyle and an all natural,species appropiat diet play a big role :)
I also encourage everybody to titer their dogs before vaccinating!
I paid 40$ for the titer and it gives me the opportunity to protect my pup from an unnecessary immune supression.

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
It's always good to get a good vet report. Plus I think we all need to do the titer test.

MaplesMommy

Reaction score
Yes it definitely gives you a piece of mind and lets you know you're doing something right :D

The titers are awesome. Well known immunologists say the Distemper & Parvo and many other vaccines last years if not a life long. No need to vaccinate anually. More and more people are starting to even titer their kids to see if they need any more vaccine rounds and, just as with the dogs, usually they arent needed. Vaccines can pose so many risk factors,immerdiate side effects or tumors forming later on at the exact spot the vaccines were given, chemicals and mercury poisining the body.Every time somebody vaccinates they supress the immune system.Nobody would intentionally do this if not necessary; and in most cases its not needed.
Like I said Maple didnt even get all three rounds as a puppy and is still highly protected.

:)

bullmama

Staff member
Reaction score
I am so happy and would it be weird to say I'm proud of you? I am telling as many people as I can now about over vaccinations. I'm hoping to put together an article on canine vaccinosis in the near future. I had heard about it and seen many cases of pets who are given vaccines then get sick. The one who sealed the deal for me was seeing a video by Dr. Becker.

MaplesMommy

Reaction score
Thank you guys :)
Its also good to hear positive feedback :)

Bullmama,that would for sure be an interesting/important article.

kpromero

Reaction score
I have never heard of this. Learn something new every day. I may have this done to Rosie next year when it comes time for her shots and from what i am reading she may not need any, correct?

bullmama

Staff member
Reaction score
I have never heard of this. Learn something new every day. I may have this done to Rosie next year when it comes time for her shots and from what i am reading she may not need any, correct?

Yes that is correct. From what I've seen so far, any of us who have tieter tested they are still fully protected, even after a couple of years or longer.

MaplesMommy

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Just an update :

Ran another titer test a couple days ago, and what can I say :
Postive! She still has enough antibodies and does not need to be revaccinated.

Maple is now 2 1/2 and she still has tons of antibodies from her puppy shots.

Also, perfect body score 5/9 and teeth still as white as last year. (Yay to raw bones & antlers).

We also ran a Vitamin D3 and I will give you an update on that when I get the results in (they are sending it to California,so it might take a few weeks).

kpromero

Reaction score
That is Great MaplesMommy. I guess i need to try to have this done on Rosie. What is the cost to do one? Do vets have different pricing that they charge? Rosie actually has to go in March for a Bordetella immunization shot they are recommending.

MaplesMommy

Reaction score
Yup,vets can charge whatever they want on it,some dont even offer it at all,so you might have to call around.
Our vet charges 40$ for the titer (plus the regular exam fee of I believe 70$).

We only tested for Parvo,Distemper and Hepatitis. As Im only really 'concerned' about Parvo and Distemper protection.

WeeDex

Reaction score
This is really interesting. I hadn't heard of titer testing before so I just looked it up. I didn't know this existed! I'll mention it to the vet next time we go in and see if it's something they do.

Maple clearly has a great mama!

kpromero

Reaction score
MaplesMommy, so when doing this and results are good, you do not need to vaccinate for rabies etc.? Thought you had to have a yearly rabies tag when going to certain places that require it and paperwork of doing so?

I was reading that a titer test does not really tell you the whole picture.
That’s because a titer only measures antibodies, not cell-mediated immunity, which is the real-world measure of protection. In fact, as I learned, pets can sometimes come up negative (unprotected) on the titers and still have plenty of perfectly protective, cell-mediated immunity.

MaplesMommy

Reaction score
MaplesMommy, so when doing this and results are good, you do not need to vaccinate for rabies etc.? Thought you had to have a yearly rabies tag when going to certain places that require it and paperwork of doing so?

I was reading that a titer test does not really tell you the whole picture.
That’s because a titer only measures antibodies, not cell-mediated immunity, which is the real-world measure of protection. In fact, as I learned, pets can sometimes come up negative (unprotected) on the titers and still have plenty of perfectly protective, cell-mediated immunity.

No, a rabies titer is a little different. I do not vaccinate for rabies anyway(no requirement),therefore I don't titer.

The titer test my vet does includes testing for Parvo,Distemper and Hepatitis. This is also all Maple was ever vaccinated for.

I trust world renowned doctors like Dr. Jean Dodds and the #1 immunologist Dr. Ronald Schultz and their opinion on titer testing.

Many studies already show that vaccinations last for many,many years & the titer is just the 'confirmation on paper'. For example if your boarding kennel or dog walker requires 'up to date vaccinations' ,most will accept a positive titer as well.
(Maple's dog walker for example. Thats why its always good to have it on hand for the few not believing that vaccinations last a long time in the pet's body).

:)

Jakeyjake

Reaction score
I also follow Dr. Jean Dodds and Dr. Ronald Schultz [MENTION=377]MaplesMommy[/MENTION] and have had titers done for distemper and parvo on both of my dogs which showed that they were protected.
There is a titer available for rabies which can be used in lieu of the vaccine in cases where the pet has an illness and the vaccine could jeopardize the pet's life. Your vet has to put it in writing. We are required by law to vaccinate for rabies in Calif.

MaplesMommy

Reaction score
Exactly. Some states accept a positive rabies titer instead of having to revaccinate a sick pet (or one that has had vaccinosis).
But I heard its a grey area,where some accept it and some don't. I also heard the test itself is a little harder to get.
But since we dont have any active rabies here,and its not required by law to get the rabies vaccination, I havent looked into it too much. :)
I know if I ever want to take Maple to Germany with me, Id have to get her rabies vaccinated.

Chiana

Reaction score
WOW! Thanks [MENTION=377]MaplesMommy[/MENTION]! I have never heard that possibility. Will definitely look into this if it is available here as well.
[MENTION=1]bullmama[/MENTION], did you make the article of canine vaccinations? Would love to see that :D

bullmama

Staff member
Reaction score
WOW! Thanks [MENTION=377]MaplesMommy[/MENTION]! I have never heard that possibility. Will definitely look into this if it is available here as well.
[MENTION=1]bullmama[/MENTION], did you make the article of canine vaccinations? Would love to see that :D

I haven't, but I will. I have so many articles I wish to write!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Schimpfy

Reaction score
Thanks we should make it our goal when chatting with newbies to the site about titer testing.
Unfortunately have to do rabies shots so as i can bring him across the border they are not into grey matters