Another one bites the dust

kkatebasilio

Reaction score
I don't know why I picked that title for his thread but here it is.

I've been posting about how my baby stitch is, he's been aggressive lately and I think it's because we moved on to a high rise and not used to seeing different people all the time.
Today he bit someone but not like the usual, more of a "snap bite". He also gets crazy when sees another dog while on a leash but I know stitch, he just wants to play but when he plays he bites neck because he's used to my uncles English bulldog that's how they play, but he doesn't play with him anymore because I moved. And I know other dogs and owners doesn't like that.
As for the person he bit He used to play with Ann and still plays with her sometimes, but what I don't understand is stitch having leash aggression, and snaps at people. He is fine with our front desk they play with him all the time, our HOA said that they didn't call animal control but the solution for this madness is a muzzle and he will be allowed to common areas, question is if he uses that muzzle to go use the bathroom is hat training him to be even more aggressive or the opposite?
As well as training I honestly want him to get trained in and out of or high rise so he'll get used to but now that this problem occur I don't think it's possible unless I go Petsmart or petco.
I got him a customized muzzle and will arrive in 5 days. I just want to know has anyone ever had this problem? Also he is completely fine when he goes to frenchie meetup. Stitch is the most loving dog he's like a lap dog but is it possible that dogs get bipolar disorder?
He's hit or miss kind of pup.
Thank you!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chiana

Reaction score
So sorry to hear this. Have you contacted a good trainer who could come and train him around your building and give you tips how to proceed with his training?
Without seeing the actual situation, for me it still sounds like this could be fixed with intensive training, since he is behaving well in other surroundings. For some reason he becomes overly protective around the house.
Also now when this has been going on for quite a while now, it must be extremely difficult for you to not project your concerns to him. I know I would! The trainer might give good tools how to be calm and how to correct that behaviour.
Frenchies can be really persistent when it comes to habits they have picked up. Good luck and keep us posted how it goes!

My Moses is now 2 years old and has also one very disturbing habit, which we are working on correcting. He is also calm and friendly as a little lamb, except when he decides to steel something, for example a sock from the laundry basket. He becomes extremely protective which is totally opposite to his normal behaviour. It is impossible to get him to release the item and if he hides the sock somewhere, he can remember a long time where it is and if I even make a move to that direction, he bolts and beats me to it and takes it again.
If I manage to get to the sock first...he really doesn't mind if there are fingers between his jaws and the sock when he launches to get it back...and yes there has been some minor skin bruising involved...He is not biting, but more just trying to take the sock back, but still that is far from accepted behaviour.
These little fellas can be stubborn, but I'm sure that with persistent training and correction we will both over come these issues.

Jakeyjake

Reaction score
My recommendation would be training. You need to demonstrate to him that you are the leader. It will take some time and patience but it is so worth it. Also employing the "nothing in life is free" philosophy may help.

Mavis

Reaction score
I'm sorry you are having these issues. First let me say that I am no expert, just passing along ideas. For @kkbasilio, I would say that maybe socialization training with lots of different situations and groups of people would help. He has to learn that humans are nonthreatening and for the most part pleasure sources - I mean, who doesn't love a frenchie! I would just get him out there and take him everywhere you go, if you can, so his world expands a lot from beyond your condo.
[MENTION=1348]Chiana[/MENTION], have you seen Cesar Milan, the Dog Whisperer? From what I have seen from his shows, he "claims the territory" by blocking the dog with his leg or with a little jab of his fingers to the shoulder until the dog surrenders the space. Then he takes the toy (or sock) and claims it as his own. (Not sure what he does when the dog already has something in his mouth.)

Easy to advise; harder to implement. Good luck to you both.

kkatebasilio

Reaction score
They told me he needs a muzzle or he's not allowed in the common areas, so i ordered one it's called the muzzle for short nose and it has a frenchie picture on Google hopefully that works, he only needs it when he needs to be outside my unit but other than that he'll be fine, hopefully.
Hopefully chiana your baby will grow out of my that.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
My recommendation would be training. You need to demonstrate to him that you are the leader. It will take some time and patience but it is so worth it. Also employing the "nothing in life is free" philosophy may help.

agreed! Stich may be picking up on your nervousness that is due to you expecting him to behave this way -- get a trainer to come to your home and evaluate the behavior

kenv

Reaction score
My Wally has "Dog Aggression", in that he tries his best to get at & kill one of our terriers & one of the Pugs. They just don`t like each other, + him being a larger "European" type Frenchy, which I`m told are more aggressive, does not help. I`ll be watching this thread to see if the muzzle works. As it is now, when we leave one of the two mentioned dogs out in the living room, we have to put Wally in his cage to avoid WW III. Odd thing is, Wally has no problems with the other 4 dogs we have.

kkatebasilio

Reaction score
[MENTION=1735]kenv[/MENTION] oh jeeezzz atleast you can control him in some type of way, with mine he thinks he's the boss lol I called a trainer today and said I need to start at the very beginning, 8 weeks and I need to be very patient. Hopefully he'll be good after that, I'll sure update this thread lol good luck with yours:)

Chiana

Reaction score
I'm sorry you are having these issues. First let me say that I am no expert, just passing along ideas. For @kkbasilio, I would say that maybe socialization training with lots of different situations and groups of people would help. He has to learn that humans are nonthreatening and for the most part pleasure sources - I mean, who doesn't love a frenchie! I would just get him out there and take him everywhere you go, if you can, so his world expands a lot from beyond your condo.
[MENTION=1348]Chiana[/MENTION], have you seen Cesar Milan, the Dog Whisperer? From what I have seen from his shows, he "claims the territory" by blocking the dog with his leg or with a little jab of his fingers to the shoulder until the dog surrenders the space. Then he takes the toy (or sock) and claims it as his own. (Not sure what he does when the dog already has something in his mouth.)

Easy to advise; harder to implement. Good luck to you both.

I'm actually a big fan of Cesar's :) Read books and watch shows and tried the different methods. That man must have some magic aura upon him or something. He makes things seem so easy. I can claim space if things are on the floor, but it's a different story if they are in the mouth already. I must lack something in my presence :blush2:

Chiana

Reaction score
[MENTION=1735]kenv[/MENTION] oh jeeezzz atleast you can control him in some type of way, with mine he thinks he's the boss lol I called a trainer today and said I need to start at the very beginning, 8 weeks and I need to be very patient. Hopefully he'll be good after that, I'll sure update this thread lol good luck with yours:)

Good to hear you have found some help with training. btw, what kind of advise did the trainer give you? How has the training started? Good luck :)

LadyOfTheLake

Reaction score
[MENTION=1348]Chiana[/MENTION], Hi,I realize this is after the fact, but I think you can still teach the command and give it a try.I taught my bully breed the "drop it" command. He came to learn that EVERYTHING belongs to me! If I CHOSE to give it back to him after he dropped it, then he can have it until I tell him to "drop it" again at which point I may have it again if I choose. I especially did this with a good chew bone that he was really enjoying. I would tell him to "drop it" , I would take the bone and pretend to chew it, say how good it was while he waited, then I would CHOOSE to let him have it back when I felt like it. There were no arguments, he knew the rules. This command is very helpful if your pet picks up something harmful, or as in your case, he tries to take something that isn't his. You should be able to take ANYTHING from your pets mouth. For his safety. There was never any aggression or discipline used during training, just assertion of my role of alpha dog. You start this training with their "toys", rewarding each time they "drop it". You MUST be allowed to pick it up. Follow up this training with the "leave it" command and you are golden. This dog was my precious Zeke, a pit bull. He was loved by everyone he met.