Article: Why Does My French Bulldog Have Diarrhea?

sarahk12

Reaction score
My 11 month old still has soft stools since we got him Giardia was gone at 5 months and no more mucus or blood in the stool. We go almost monthly to the vet with no real result and have tried Royal Canin a dozen times. No more chicken or grain, only salmon and rice (all dry food by Trainer) but no results. Now we are trying a new brand called Hi (both Hi and Trainer are top quality Italian brand) with duck but it has been only 1 week and he has had diarrhoea as a result. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
My 11 month old still has soft stools since we got him Giardia was gone at 5 months and no more mucus or blood in the stool. We go almost monthly to the vet with no real result and have tried Royal Canin a dozen times. No more chicken or grain, only salmon and rice (all dry food by Trainer) but no results. Now we are trying a new brand called Hi (both Hi and Trainer are top quality Italian brand) with duck but it has been only 1 week and he has had diarrhoea as a result. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Have you had him tested fir giardia again? That is a bugger to get rid of.

There is a brand from Italy that just started selling-in the US.. l can remember the name but will try to find it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sarahk12

Reaction score
No we haven't had him tested again for giardia. I assumed because I didn't see any more blood or mucus in his stool that it was gone. I will have him tested again. Yes please if you remember the brand please let me know! We have some of the big commercial brands here but there are alot of local ones on the market.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
No we haven't had him tested again for giardia. I assumed because I didn't see any more blood or mucus in his stool that it was gone. I will have him tested again. Yes please if you remember the brand please let me know! We have some of the big commercial brands here but there are alot of local ones on the market.

Farmina!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lesa

Reaction score

After weeks of trying different foods, our Vet put our Frenchie on daily probiotics (Proviable-DC) and he is cured Itโ€™s been 2 months now and he is perfectly fine even after getting hold of our other dogs food.

stasbreyt

Reaction score
i got a 9 week pup, brought him home about a week ago. first day he was eating ok royal canin puppy food, second day his appetite changed so we gave him appetite stimulation from royal canin ( was advised by the breeder to add if he won't eat) hour later he vomited all out and been sick ever sens. diarrhea, not eating for 5 days lethargic, took his stool sample to run for parasites came positive coccidia. took him back to vet they did parvo test negative they did exray make sure didn't swallow anything negative, vet gave intiobatics and something for tommy. all he does is sleep but today finally i tried him in to eating with a smell of some my food. didn't give him just triked him. so he finally had his first meal in 5 days. what else i can do to help him get better

leehud74

Reaction score
Just bought our 8 week old home, on his 2nd day he has started with Diarrhea, not changed his food and he is still eating well and drinking. Seems ok in himself perhaps a little more sleepy than his usual self. Called the Vets and they just said keep an eye on him, didn't seem that worried but we can't stop worrying about him, what should we do?

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Just bought our 8 week old home, on his 2nd day he has started with Diarrhea, not changed his food and he is still eating well and drinking. Seems ok in himself perhaps a little more sleepy than his usual self. Called the Vets and they just said keep an eye on him, didn't seem that worried but we can't stop worrying about him, what should we do?

It is probably from stress of the change in home... keep close eye and if more than three days have vet check poo for parasites.

You can add a small amount like a teaspoon of pure canned pumpkin to help

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gka

Reaction score
I agree with @2 bullymama please watch very carefully. Yuki had this problem and was diagnosed with Giardia when he was 8 weeks or so. He ended up in the hospital and needed to be put on an IV because of dehydration from the diarrhea.

leehud74

Reaction score
Thank you for your responses. I have had him tested at the vets and they have confirmed he has Giardia so he is now on Panacur paste, no improvement as yet.