Attended Answers Pet Food Seminar

GraciesMom

Reaction score
Today, a local specialty pet store in our area hosted Jaqueline Hill, founder of Answers pet food. My husband and I were very impressed. After a very informative seminar, they provided free products for us to try including Answers Detailed frozen raw food, raw fermented goat's milk, kefir, fermented turkey broth and frozen cheese treats. For those who may be considering trying raw for the first time, Jaqueline recommended starting with the goat's milk, adding kefir and then transitioning to the food over time. We plan on following that process with Gracie. I'll let everyone know how it goes. We're excited to try it.

FroxerMom

Reaction score
Wow- what an amazing afternoon! I went to their website the other day while researching what brand to try and I too was so impressed with their philosophy and the products sounded great. I hoped to be able to find the raw food locally, but couldn't. Looking forward to your update!

GraciesMom

Reaction score
Well what she kept stressing was the importance of fermentation because it creates the good bacteria (probiotics) and kills off the bad. So if you can't find Answers in your area, supplement the raw diet you choose with fermented products like kefir. Besides building up probiotics, it helps to keep any bacteria in the raw food at bay. I plan to start with Answers but will continue to look for local options because it is expensive. My goal is to get Gracie off Science Diet as soon as possible and Answers is something I can implement quickly while I gain more knowledge about what is available.

FroxerMom

Reaction score
Ok, good to know about the kefir. Daphne has eaten a full day's worth of raw so far and then again this morning and she is L O V I N G it.

Honeys Owners

Reaction score
Today, a local specialty pet store in our area hosted Jaqueline Hill, founder of Answers pet food. My husband and I were very impressed. After a very informative seminar, they provided free products for us to try including Answers Detailed frozen raw food, raw fermented goat's milk, kefir, fermented turkey broth and frozen cheese treats. For those who may be considering trying raw for the first time, Jaqueline recommended starting with the goat's milk, adding kefir and then transitioning to the food over time. We plan on following that process with Gracie. I'll let everyone know how it goes. We're excited to try it.

I transitioned my dog to raw by starting with a dehydrated raw food, and then later switching to a frozen raw, because I was trying to avoid the inconvenience of frozen raw, but the frozen raw was a bit better than the dehydrated raw for her allergies, so I have stuck to it. I suggest starting with an easily digestible protein like rabbit or turkey, and give it for one meal a day over a week, then after a week switch to both meals. Avoid heavy proteins such as beef, and tripe, for the first few times you buy the frozen raw, since dog is not used to digesting raw yet. I think it's also a great idea as mentioned to start feeding the raw goats milk or milk kefir or live sauerkraut before you start dog on the raw, unless your dog is in really bad shape from allergies and you want to dive in. Some dogs throw up on the probiotics, so start those slowly as well and build up, eg. a teaspoon a day to start, and increase up to a tablespoon a day.

GraciesMom

Reaction score
That's great advice. I'm tempted to dive right in with the food but I am going to take the approach you suggest. Jaqueline Hill suggested allowing four days before adjusting to a higher volume. So it will take me about 2 weeks to get her up to speed on the goat's milk and another two for the kefir. Then I'll start transitioning to the food itself. I have tried the Answers fermented goat's milk already and Gracie loves it but I need to be more systematic about it. I feel very comfortable with this approach though -- I think it's the right thing to do.

FroxerMom

Reaction score
Yikes! I guess I should have gone slower. I just figured since I've been giving her raw goats milk for the three months she's been with us, I could just go for it. She gobbles the raw patties right up. Has not thrown up (thankfully). Poops are nice and firm but a ton less than normal. In fact I'm about to take her out again because she has not pooped yet today and she has always pooped at least twice in the morning before I leave for work. I hope I didn't do anything super bad by diving right in.....

Frenchie Grrrl

Reaction score

That's so awesome that you were able to attend one of these talks - I have watched many of the talks on YouTube that Jaqueline and Billy have done, and I always learn so much. I really love their products and the company. We've used both the detailed and the straight formulas, the cheese, the goat's milk, the turkey stock and the fish stock. Gus has loved them all.

Yikes! I guess I should have gone slower. I just figured since I've been giving her raw goats milk for the three months she's been with us, I could just go for it. She gobbles the raw patties right up. Has not thrown up (thankfully). Poops are nice and firm but a ton less than normal. In fact I'm about to take her out again because she has not pooped yet today and she has always pooped at least twice in the morning before I leave for work. I hope I didn't do anything super bad by diving right in.....

I am a member of a couple raw feeding groups and some people transition slowly and some people just go cold turkey. Sounds like your baby is doing fine - don't sweat it. Once they are fully raw, they will poop a lot less. At most Gus goes twice a day and his stools are small and firm.

Honeys Owners

Reaction score
My dog poos either once or twice a day on the frozen raw. I find she gets a bit constipated on the frozen raw that doesn't have fruits or vegetables and kind of groans as she strains to poo. I usually give her some canned pumpkin then. When I give her the frozen raw that has fruit and vegetables she has no issues, poos once or twice a day without straining.

FroxerMom

Reaction score
My dog poos either once or twice a day on the frozen raw. I find she gets a bit constipated on the frozen raw that doesn't have fruits or vegetables and kind of groans as she strains to poo. I usually give her some canned pumpkin then. When I give her the frozen raw that has fruit and vegetables she has no issues, poos once or twice a day without straining.

OK, got it. I did end up buying Primal patties which has fruit and veggies in it. Daph had 1 poop total yesterday. I am lovin' this....

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
I did not transition slowly and everything was fine. Don't worry too much about it.

GraciesMom

Reaction score
To second what Citty said, it's really not that important. There are two reasons for a slow transition when you are introducing multiple items into the dog's diet: to give the dog's system time to adjust and to identify the culprit if you encounter a problem. Since Daphne seems to be doing well on the food, a slow transition was not necessary for her.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
I did not transition slowly and everything was fine. Don't worry too much about it.

I did no transition either... just went full in and had no issues.... other than the reaction to mackerel they are doing great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk