Brachycephalic surgery

Lee

Reaction score
My 8 month old pup is scheduled for surgery next week to open his airways. He will have is palate and nares corrected. He will also have his umbilical hernia fixed and get neutered. Seems like a lot but was advised it's better to do it all at once, rather put him under several times.
I would love some words of wisdom and experience from this wonderful form. I am a bit of a worrier!

Jeffc

Reaction score
Best of luck to your pup, hopefully he comes out of everything just fine.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
I’ve heard before it’s better to put them under only once but I’ve also heard that the more you do at one time, the longer they are under. Just something to think about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carson1834

Reaction score
My guy had all these done at once in January (neuter, nares, palette and hernia). He walked out of the vet like nothing happened. On pain pills for a week or so, soft food for about a week. He vomited night of surgery which vet said was common as anesthesia can make them nauseous. Other than that he was completely normal. Very healthy appetite. Hardest part was trying to keep him calm as he just wanted to play, have zoomies, jump on couch etc per usual. I also only kept the cone on him for a few minutes as he couldn’t reach his stitches and left his nose alone. I was pleasantly surprised on how easy recovery was. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
You should talk with ur vet about the length of time being under for a Frenchie. Most experienced bulldog vets are more concern on time under than doing separate procedures.

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
Hopefully you have a vet that is an expert in Frenchies, if not please find one. Plus I would wait until he is at least 18 months of age before neutering him. It helps with his development.

Mavis

Reaction score
My 8 month old pup is scheduled for surgery next week to open his airways. He will have is palate and nares corrected. He will also have his umbilical hernia fixed and get neutered. Seems like a lot but was advised it's better to do it all at once, rather put him under several times.
I would love some words of wisdom and experience from this wonderful form. I am a bit of a worrier!

Please keep us posted on what you decide and how it goes. Bambi is ten. I wish we had had her nares and palate done when we first got her at three years old. I hope your experience is like [MENTION=4050]Carson1834[/MENTION]. Puppies seem to be very resilient. Good luck! Hugs.

Lee

Reaction score
Finally getting back to you all.
Thank you for your feedback and good wishes.
Everything went really well. Louis had his nares and pallet done, as well as his hernia and neuter. The surgeon was extremely experience in this surgery. He had done over 100 in his 25 year career. The two weeks following the surgery was the most challenging. We had to keep Louis from playing, jumping, chewing and going after his stitches. We had him on a mild sedative. He was a really good boy. We didn't need to use is e-collar. I highly recommend this surgery, but caution you to vet the surgeon and prepare for two weeks on quarantine! Louis' energy is so much better. He no longer snores or gasps for air. His breathing is no longer labored. And he has a much easier time eating. No more gagging or struggling to swallow.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Finally getting back to you all.
Thank you for your feedback and good wishes.
Everything went really well. Louis had his nares and pallet done, as well as his hernia and neuter. The surgeon was extremely experience in this surgery. He had done over 100 in his 25 year career. The two weeks following the surgery was the most challenging. We had to keep Louis from playing, jumping, chewing and going after his stitches. We had him on a mild sedative. He was a really good boy. We didn't need to use is e-collar. I highly recommend this surgery, but caution you to vet the surgeon and prepare for two weeks on quarantine! Louis' energy is so much better. He no longer snores or gasps for air. His breathing is no longer labored. And he has a much easier time eating. No more gagging or struggling to swallow.

Great news… happy all went well

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mavis

Reaction score
I am thrilled for you!!! Louis will be so much better off in the long run and I'm sure these procedures have extended his life. Sounds like your vet is a keeper!!! Bambi is 10.5 now. We won't put her through this kind of surgery at this stage of the game. I wish we had had the courage to do this when we first got her at three.

🆕 Latest posts