colors of French Bulldog

John345

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm planing to get French Bulldog because this breed looks perfect match for me. But recently I started reading more and more about French Bulldog colors. The info that I found shocked me. Blue color puppies looked really nice for me and I planed to get it. But I found that this color doesn't meet breed standards and puppies have genes that can cause problems with eyes and skin. For more info I inserted link with article about colors of French Bulldog. Maybe someone of you have dog with this color? Is it true that blue puppies have problems with their eyes and skin?? Is it safe to buy puppy with this color? Thank you for your answers.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to FBN.

Yes it is true since the color is not part of the Frenchie breed and was ‘created’ as a rare color ($$$$$), they will tend to have a higher chance of health issues. Keep in mind any pup can also have the problems but with the ‘rare’ colors the chances are higher

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pdepierre

Reaction score
We have a blue brindle and he is perfectly fine. It is true that the color does not meet breed standards, so if you plan to show the dog I'd pick a different color. However for every article / piece of data you can find that says they have more skin / eye problems, I have found double the amount that say that isn't true. It's simply a mutation that causes the color change but we have not seen any adverse health issues. Also, the breeder we got ours from has years of experience breeding specifically blues and has never had one issue in almost 20 years.

Alice Kable

Reaction score
I have had Bulldogs since 1984 and certainly recognize the health issues they have. Because the blues and other designer colors tend to have more skin and eye issues I have stayed away from them. It is important to buy from a breeder that breeds for health and temperament.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Best chances for a healthy dog are to go to a breeder that breeds to better the breed and does health testing versus a breeder that is just in it for the money (i.e. rare colors).