Concerned for my 1 year 2 month old Frenchie. i need help please

Sojo

Reaction score
Hello all, i am new here i just got my frenchie her name is FEFE. she is 14 years old. when i got her she was being very active she did not show any signs of not being "healthy". the person i got her from stated that she was in perfect health and there was nothing wrong with her. i asked the person who i got her from when was the last time and how often she was fed. he told me that he had just fed her earlier that day and she usually eats twice a day 1/2 cup per meal,. when i saw her she did seem a little bit on the skinny but i did not pay mind to it. coming home the same day she would not eat her second meal. i figured it was because she was not used to the house and the new people. the following day i took her to the vet and she was weighed in at 18.6lbs. looking at the forums and looking at blogs it seems like shes underweight by 2 ish pounds. however, the vet said that she was perfect weight. i informed the vet that she had not been eating nor was she drinking enough water. within those first 24 FEFE only drank 1/2 cup of water. she then said to give her time as she is still getting used to the new home. in addition, when doing her heart worm test, the test came back inconclusive. the vet said that she would have to send over to the lab to get re tested and it would take a few days. today has now been 5 days since we got her still have no test results and she still wont eat or drink as much as she should be. yesterday i tricked her into eating her Royal Canin food by mixing it with some treats. she ate half a cup of kibble and some treats. then drank like 1/3 of a cup of water. i am concerned because she wont eat her kibble. now she wont even have any of the treats. its like she doesnt have an appetite for food or water. i am very concerned that she may get dehydrated. she will for no reason drink water on her own. i have to basically force her by mixing it with treats or today i gave her ice only. i tried mixing some ham in her food and she ate some but now she wont even eat the ham as a snack,. do you guys think shes just being a picky eater? also i know that frenchies are lazy but shes not active at all, i do take her out to use the potty outside so she gets some exercise however every time we are home chilling she is asleep 100% of the time. could it be from not eating?

can anybody tell me how to help her drink water and eat her food? i am very concerned about her and i dont want her to starve on be dehydrated or suffer for that matter

Attachments

• IMG_1230.jpg
    IMG_1230.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 234
  • IMG_5838.JPG
    IMG_5838.JPG
    845.1 KB · Views: 213
  • IMG_9989.JPG
    IMG_9989.JPG
    951.6 KB · Views: 223

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello all, i am new here i just got my frenchie her name is FEFE. she is 14 years old. when i got her she was being very active she did not show any signs of not being "healthy". the person i got her from stated that she was in perfect health and there was nothing wrong with her. i asked the person who i got her from when was the last time and how often she was fed. he told me that he had just fed her earlier that day and she usually eats twice a day 1/2 cup per meal,. when i saw her she did seem a little bit on the skinny but i did not pay mind to it. coming home the same day she would not eat her second meal. i figured it was because she was not used to the house and the new people. the following day i took her to the vet and she was weighed in at 18.6lbs. looking at the forums and looking at blogs it seems like shes underweight by 2 ish pounds. however, the vet said that she was perfect weight. i informed the vet that she had not been eating nor was she drinking enough water. within those first 24 FEFE only drank 1/2 cup of water. she then said to give her time as she is still getting used to the new home. in addition, when doing her heart worm test, the test came back inconclusive. the vet said that she would have to send over to the lab to get re tested and it would take a few days. today has now been 5 days since we got her still have no test results and she still wont eat or drink as much as she should be. yesterday i tricked her into eating her Royal Canin food by mixing it with some treats. she ate half a cup of kibble and some treats. then drank like 1/3 of a cup of water. i am concerned because she wont eat her kibble. now she wont even have any of the treats. its like she doesnt have an appetite for food or water. i am very concerned that she may get dehydrated. she will for no reason drink water on her own. i have to basically force her by mixing it with treats or today i gave her ice only. i tried mixing some ham in her food and she ate some but now she wont even eat the ham as a snack,. do you guys think shes just being a picky eater? also i know that frenchies are lazy but shes not active at all, i do take her out to use the potty outside so she gets some exercise however every time we are home chilling she is asleep 100% of the time. could it be from not eating?

can anybody tell me how to help her drink water and eat her food? i am very concerned about her and i dont want her to starve on be dehydrated or suffer for that matter

Welcome.... she does look thin and the two pounds might be good for her to gain.

You say she is 14 years... did you mean 14 months? Because she looks great if 14 years.

I would do the bone broth as suggested and try a bland diet , ground beef with egg noodles is what I use... see if that gets her eating and then while on that find a better kibble or go raw and switch her off the RC as that is crap food.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sojo

Reaction score
Try giving your dog some bone broth, either separate or over the food, to rehydrate her. https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/how-to-make-bone-broth-for-your-dog/

Royal Canin is not a good food, try either switching to a better quality brand like Acana, Zignature, Fromm , or better yet switch to a dehydrated raw like Honest Kitchen, Spot Farms or EasyRaw since they have a lot of water added.

this is crazy. the vet said "that is the best food you can give her" now im doubting EVERYTHING the vet said. i tried some broth yesterday and she had much more than shes had in the last few days. thank you for your feedback

Sojo

Reaction score
Welcome.... she does look thin and the two pounds might be good for her to gain.

You say she is 14 years... did you mean 14 months? Because she looks great if 14 years.

I would do the bone broth as suggested and try a bland diet , ground beef with egg noodles is what I use... see if that gets her eating and then while on that find a better kibble or go raw and switch her off the RC as that is crap food.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

yes my apologies, 14 months old. i was not aware that RC was as bad as i am now reading. even the vet said thats the best food i could give her. smh thanks for the feedback. i gave her some broth and shes eating alittle better. i will be changing her food ASAP

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
yes my apologies, 14 months old. i was not aware that RC was as bad as i am now reading. even the vet said thats the best food i could give her. smh thanks for the feedback. i gave her some broth and shes eating alittle better. i will be changing her food ASAP

Not knocking vets, but they have no nutritional knowledge and will push what they sell

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dermich

Reaction score
I'll knock vets. They don't know what they don't know.
RC is horrible and over priced crap. And the vets get a lot of profit margin from them.
My vet stopped selling it after she claimed it was grain free
and I pointed out the grains in it. Then explained high carbs are not good for dogs. (or us)

dermich

Reaction score
I would say the same. Frenchies can be very picky eater, but they are just trying to tell you, give me better food.
Honest Kitchen is great food.
Make sure you are getting the grain-free version.

My girls eat twice a day:

Honest Chicken Grain-Free OR Honest Kitchen Beef Grain-Free rotated every 4 weeks
Chicken Thighs Sous Vide cooked and diced OR Ground Beef Sous Vide
Honest Kitchen Fruit and Veggie Mix
Dobias - SoulFood (Vitamins)
AdoredBeast - GutSoothe and LoveBugs rotated morning and night
CBD Oil - 1000mg

Honest Kitchen Chicken
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A8O8NSY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Honest Kitchen Fruit & Veg
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A8O8JL0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Honest Kitchen Beef
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A8O8PPA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Squishy Walnuts

Reaction score
She is pretty skinny. I'm glad you are looking elsewhere for nutritional information. Sadly, vets don't know much about it and will sell what they have for the profits. Wally eats Acana and does very well on it.