Crate Training

melissacut

Reaction score
Hi there,

I’m wondering if anyone can offer any advice or thoughts. Currently I have a 15 week old frenchie. She has been an absolute joy with all things except for the night time crate training. We are having difficulty with her sleeping through the night. At this point her schedule is up from 5-730 where she has breakfast, plays, and does her business. Sadly, I’ve had to go back to work and she is alone 730-330/4. Once she has all of her shots she will be attending a doggie daycare. During that time she sleeps (I have a camera on her ). From 4-1030 she is out of the crate and playing. At 1030 she goes into the crate and goes to bed. However, she keeps waking up at 3 to potty. Then is unable to go back to bed. All she wants to do is be held. I have tried putting a T-shirt in with her and that does help. Staying by her crate until she calms down only makes the matter worse. Currently her crate is in the bathroom because when it was by the bed she would cry all night.
At this point my husband and I do not mind if she sleeps in the bed with us but we are afraid it will mess up her daytime routine. Do you think it will?

Any thoughts would be great!

FroxerMom

Reaction score
Hello and welcome -
I was so surprised to read that your 15 week old Frenchie pup can hold her bladder from 7:30-4! As for waking up around 3 am to go potty, a potential solution could be to take her out and then bring her into bed with you both until you get up at 5. That way, you guys can continue to rest (hopefully) while meeting her need to snuggle and be with her human.

My dog sleeps in a crate beside my bed but she loves it in there. We also wake at 5 to eat, but then I bring her onto the couch with me and we go back to sleep until 6:30 when I take her for her long walk.

I think you can change whatever you need to in order to be as harmonious as possible. It will become her new routine when you do it enough. Just be consistent with whatever you choose. Once she starts daycare while you are working, I'm sure she will be less likely to wake at 3.

Good luck!

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello and welcome -
I was so surprised to read that your 15 week old Frenchie pup can hold her bladder from 7:30-4! As for waking up around 3 am to go potty, a potential solution could be to take her out and then bring her into bed with you both until you get up at 5. That way, you guys can continue to rest (hopefully) while meeting her need to snuggle and be with her human.

My dog sleeps in a crate beside my bed but she loves it in there. We also wake at 5 to eat, but then I bring her onto the couch with me and we go back to sleep until 6:30 when I take her for her long walk.

I think you can change whatever you need to in order to be as harmonious as possible. It will become her new routine when you do it enough. Just be consistent with whatever you choose. Once she starts daycare while you are working, I'm sure she will be less likely to wake at 3.

Good luck!

:up:

I too am surprised she goes that long without a potty break... at 15 weeks, 4-5 hours would be her limit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alice Kable

Reaction score
Welcome to FBN! You have been given some good advice. Personally we don't let our dogs in bed with us anymore. I am a light sleeper and the dogs snore and are bed hogs!

GraciesMom

Reaction score
Gracie started out in her crate but after an early morning potty break we would take her into bed with us for an hour or two. Then one night I was worried about her breathing and brought her into our bed where she has slept every night since. Moral of the story is make sure you really want her to sleep with you before you let her in your bed. At this point we wouldn't have it any other way. In terms of potty behavior, Gracie was certainly unusual. When awake she seemed to urinate constantly -- like every 30 minutes (or even less). But when asleep she could hold it for 6-7 hours. Once she was about 4 months old, it was a rare night when she had an accident in bed or rustled around indicating the need to go.

Frenchie Grrrl

Reaction score
I'm guessing that the 3 AM potty and playtime is more of a behavior than a true need to go to the bathroom. Since she is alone and sleeps much of the day she probably just doesn't need the sleep, but does want the stimulation and company. Personally, I would see if you could get someone to come in a time or two during the day to walk with her and play with her, until she is old enough for the doggy daycare.

Dreamer

Reaction score
I'm currently in the midst of crate training Samson also. He is doing pretty well but sometimes near the time when we are getting close to "wake up" time, he seems to get somewhat impatient.. We wake up at 5am usually and he'll typically need to potty at about 3-4am.... so when we get back inside and he goes back in his crate for the last hour or two, I can tell he is either ready to get up and play, or secretly kinda has to go #2 but didn't quite feel like it when I took him out. Either way, fidgety and restless when I put him in the crate and he will start crying/throw tantrum to be let out sometimes.

Something I found that can help a lot is to put on some music for him, I have GoogleHomes so when I can tell he may not be tired enough to settle down, I make sure he has a chew toy in with him and I will tell google to put on some classical music (quiet enough so that I can still sleep). I've found he actually really likes this, and the tantrums/whining drastically decline until he eventually settles down. I put music on for him during the day when crate training too, I find it generally lowers his anxiety about having to be confined in the crate as he has something to occupy his mind.

I too am pretty new to frenchies/puppy training but just thought this might be something you could try since it works for us :)