Cute video on how to train your dog to 'stay'

Alice Kable

Reaction score
Hmmmm...way to many treats for me. I predict Payton will be pudgy!

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
I had never seen that technique and I also think her choice of breed was interesting.... she wasn’t moving anyway :). :giggle:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TeresaW

Reaction score
The trainer I had for my dogs used this technique. It worked well with Pierce. Oren would literally turn his head away from me like “I’m not listening!” After a few times. As for the treats, they are tiny. I would divide a regular treat into very small pieces for this exercise. Pierce is food motivated. Oren is not. I think that is why it worked so well for Pierce.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GraciesMom

Reaction score
We use a lot of treats in training too. But I use 96% fat free hamburger that I brown in a frying pan. It breaks up into tiny morsels. You can easily control the size of the treat based on the number of morsels you give at any one time. In training we usually just give Gracie one crumb-sized morsel at a time. I think our trainer does use a similar technique to the one in the video, but I'm not sure because I think "stay" was taught in the puppy class. By the time Gracie got over all her medical ailments she was too old for that class. I taught her to stay myself. I'd put her in a sit, say the word "stay" and hold the flat of my hand out. If she didn't immediately leap up, I'd click and treat. Sounds a little vague but it worked for her -- she's pretty smart so was able to overcome my failings as a trainer. That said, she definitely understands the command, whether she chooses to obey or not is another story.

mattcantwin

Reaction score
Hmmmm...way to many treats for me.

I came across that when I took Loki to training sessions.

As a matter of fact, that was the hardest part of training; for me...

keeping the almost constant offering of treats going.

Frenchie Grrrl

Reaction score
We use a lot of treats in training too. But I use 96% fat free hamburger that I brown in a frying pan. It breaks up into tiny morsels. You can easily control the size of the treat based on the number of morsels you give at any one time. In training we usually just give Gracie one crumb-sized morsel at a time. I think our trainer does use a similar technique to the one in the video, but I'm not sure because I think "stay" was taught in the puppy class. By the time Gracie got over all her medical ailments she was too old for that class. I taught her to stay myself. I'd put her in a sit, say the word "stay" and hold the flat of my hand out. If she didn't immediately leap up, I'd click and treat. Sounds a little vague but it worked for her -- she's pretty smart so was able to overcome my failings as a trainer. That said, she definitely understands the command, whether she chooses to obey or not is another story.

The fact that most bulldogs are highly motivated by food really helps. :tongue: I really, really need to teach my dogs a good stay. I just haven't taken the time. At this point, I'm rejoicing in the fact that I've gotten my wild child, Gracie, to sit while I am prepping/serving her meals, instead of whining and barking and throwing herself at the pet gate in an attempt to get it more quickly. Baby steps. :rolleyes:

For people that are worried about the amount of treats, you can always subtract the calories from their daily allowance, or if you feed kibble, you could just give that portion that would normally go in their bowl as "treats."

I do find it hilarious that she picked an adult bulldogs to demonstrate this skill. It just seems like he wouldn't have budged regardless. LOL