Demanding attention

melhen

Reaction score
Hi all wanted to ask if I am handling this right or not and if not how should I handle it.
Sassy will come up to where I am sitting and start jumping, barking and what looks like it could be snapping but not positive on that one as its hard to tell since she is jumping and barking. But does look like she snaps too.
Anyway at first I'd pick her up cause she was young and had her world turned up side down twice in a matter of weeks.
But now she seems to think its her god given right to sit in my lap when ever she wants.
So...
I've started telling her no not while shes bossy and demanding. Then I ignore her and once she settles and gives up and goes off to play after a while I'll call her back to me and pick her up.
Not sure if this is the right way to handle it or not.

Also she recently added scratching my legs with her paws which hurts cause shes doing it in the same spot very fast. I have started pushing her down and telling her no that hurts.

So just looking for info and help to make sure I handle all of it right.

Also shes demanding with other things and usually uses her voice, does anyone know how to get her to be quite when she starts this. As shes very determined lol
I would like to control her barking some what so it doesn't get out of hand later but I don't want to stiffle her cheeky personality in the process.
So any suggestions etc will be appreciated

Thanks look forward to hearing back from you all

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
I would definitely ignore her if she is doing unwanted behavior and then give her attention after she calms down. Look up Nothing in Life is free...good training technique.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
I would definitely ignore her if she is doing unwanted behavior and then give her attention after she calms down. Look up Nothing in Life is free...good training technique.

Agreed! Nothing in life is free will help!

She is a typical Frenchie.. very demanding and stubborn

FroxerMom

Reaction score
Sounds like mine (and as others have stated, common to Frenchies). I also agree. Ignore unwanted behaviors unless the dog is in danger, and praise and give other positive reinforcement (like picking up and snuggling) when behaviors are more desirable.

My Frenchie barks constantly at things on the tv and at what she sees outside. That is what I am dealing with right now.