EMERGENCY!! ? SHE IS ACTING FUNNY LIKE SHE'S ON DRUGS OR SOMETHING? I'm scared!

StacyMike

Reaction score
Bella got out yesterday and it was 98 degrees. She never returns someone always catches her and calls me. This time she was coming home and she looked awful! She wasn't real responsive And she was over heated! Drooling! Scared me so bad! She always jumps in the pool to cool off. Which she did. Long story short, My husband and I finally got her temperature down and her settled down. She ate, drank, and did fine the rest of the evening.
TONIGHT I'm still up because she's acting weird. She acts like she's got bugs or something. She usually drags her butt but she's itching her back on the ground. And jumps up real fast like somethings biting her. She runs from room to room. I've already seen worms from her (last time I took her to vet she's been dewormed , fleas) She is panting and real anxious I'll let her outside and she jumps in the pool to cool off. She now is calm and resting for the moment (short spurts) But in a minute she'll jump up again....
I'm concerned if she had injuries to her brain when she overheated yesterday? Or could she have worms again? Should I take her to emergency? Do vet places stay open 24 hours? Help again!!
Thanks so much!!!!
One more thing...she's been catching those big ugly locusts. Bites them etc...would they have some type of chemical they release for defense that might have effected bella?

Last edited:

Tgirl

Reaction score
How does she keep getting out and running off? I would be really careful to be sure that doesn't happen again. She may end up in the hands of someone who doesn't call and bring her back. There are a lot of things that could be going on with her. The way you say she jumps up like something is biting her makes me wonder if something is biting her. she could have gotten a few fleas on her run about or maybe she got into fire ants or something and got a couple bites that keep bothering her. I don't know about locusts because we never see those here. There are emergency vets here that are open when the regular veterinary hospitals are closed. I would think there are some there too. You could look it up online or call local vets and there may be something on their answering machine about emergencies. It's morning now but if she is still acting funny, I would take her somewhere. 98* is really hot for anyone, but a Frenchie that can't cool itself well it's dangerously hot. I hope she is better this morning. Please keep us updated.

pbois

Reaction score
How high did her temp get? There can be long term damage from overheating so if you think this is the case I would take her somewhere. You are the best judge if your dog is acting odd. If you are in Richardson, TX there is a good EAC clinic on George Bush between Alma and Custer.

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
She could have a lot of things going wrong, getting too hot. Overheating can cause internal organ damage, or brain damage. It could also be something as simple as her anal glands needing expressed. If you don't take her in today, then definitely get her to your regular vet tomorrow for sure. She definitely has something going on with her, and I have a feeling it's from getting over heated and the damage may be irreversible. Now the big thing is figure out how she is getting out and stop it. She should not be left outside by herself and for long periods of time. One day she may get out and that will be the last time you see of her, whether someone steals her or she gets hit by a car.

StacyMike

Reaction score
:(I appreciate everyones advice. She is a rescue Frenchie so I have been scorned about her getting out. Being new in the house (2 months) and people coming over not remembering there's a dog... is the problem. I understand I need to take measures to watch her closely. This is NOT the issue. I have her registered. She has a microchip. I have insurance. Which all reports to the rescue center if she's lost, or stolen. I have taken the measures to make sure she doesn't run as best as possible. The ISSUE IS her strange behavior is it from the heat the other day or anal glands or bugs?
After i wrote my blog I was still desperate to find some help for my poor little girl so i continued to search on line for something else. Then I found a vet doctor who told me everything she is doing like the "jumping up like somethings biting her, or constantly licking, or tucking her bottom in, etc.. are signs of anal gland could be problems. So I expressed her anal glands this am after being up all night and didn't get a whole lot out. I did get a very small amount of brownish goo like stuff. Then I washed her up and we both went to bed. She slept without waking up for 8 hours (with me). Now tonight ...again..she's starting to do this behavior again....Her appetite is good, but I haven't seen her poop for a couple of days so I'm taking her into the Vet tomorrow. I know she doesn't have fleas or fire ants because her skin is clear.upon examination. I am still concerned about the heat causing damage but her personality is the same. She just acts different when she gets these , I think pain from not "pooping", but I am taking her in FOR SURE tomorrow. I never checked her temperature that day because I didn't have a thermometer. So I don't know what her temp was but she was terribly hot and weak. My husband and I put her in her pool and she laid in the water to cool off. We sat with her to make sure she was ok for at least 15 minutes then she started becoming more alert to things around her and feeling better. I do have a thermometer now though. She has been eating and drinking water. Now she mainly drinks the pool water. When she gets hot she jumps in our pool and drinks water. Does the pool water hurt her? Because she would rather drink from the pool even though we have fresh water out.and I'll ask the vet all of these questions when I take her tomorrow. Thank you for the excellent recommendation of the EAC clinic on Custer. I'll take her there. I'm not real fond of the Vet center I take her to now. I hope I didn't offend anyone in the beginning. I guess I was a little offended because it was my fault she got out and already felt horrible and felt I was being kicked when I was already down. Anyways..., my own issue I guess, thank you.

StacyMike

Reaction score
I did not have a thermometer then..., I do now. Yes..., I know the heat is a terrible thing for anyone let alone frenchies. I will take her to the Vet tomorrow and keep you updated. Thank you.

Tgirl

Reaction score
I hope everything works out well for her. She may need her glands expressed by a Veterinarian. They can do it internally and get more out sometimes. I hope that is all that is bothering her. Keep us updated. :)

lkclark

Reaction score
She may have ingested something or may be suffering a blockage.

pbois

Reaction score
Which Vet clinic do you use? If you want a good recommendation for a vet that might be close to you message me and I can give you a good recommendation.

bullmama

Staff member
Reaction score
If the pool water has a lot of chlorine or chemicals it may have dried out her skin and made her itchy. Otherwise she may be having mild seizure like symptoms from being overheated. This is all that comes to mind, I sure hope she's ok

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kim

Reaction score
I did not have a thermometer then..., I do now. Yes..., I know the heat is a terrible thing for anyone let alone frenchies. I will take her to the Vet tomorrow and keep you updated. Thank you.

How's your baby doing today? Was the vet able to shed some light on what was going on?

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
Pool water is not good for dogs to drink because of the chlorine and other chemicals in it. I would try to get her to stop drinking from it. I am hping her problem is just her anal glands and the vet can fix her up.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Sending some prayers and positive thoughts that your baby is doing better

winginit66

Reaction score
[MENTION=836]StacyMike[/MENTION] - how is she doing today? Any news from the vet?

Reaction score
I don't think I'd let Bella outside unsupervised. How does she run away? You have lots of bugs and snakes in Texas she could have gotten into anything.